Why two middle names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't realize until I started JM how many people give their Children 2 middle names. I just wondered why? Is it to honor 2 grandma's or something? I think some poor girls could end up with very long names if they chose to take their husbands last name. "Mary Amber Rosalinda Churchill Jones." (Just an example.) YIKES!
August 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
I always wanted 2 middle names as a kid, NO idea why. My name is Trisha Leanne and I always wanted it to be Trisha Lee Anne LOL
So my kids have 2 middle names. I like it cause I could never decide on just one, so it's easier to have 2.
I hope my DD's either keep their own last name or take their husbands, not both. Personal preference.
August 8th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Both of my daughters have 2 middle names.. With DD1 it was because I wanted to honour two people - and then with DD2, I wanted to continue the theme...

August 9th, 2010, 12:49 AM
KirstyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Owen will have two middle names because my fiance was a triplet but the other two boys died. I wanted to make sure I used their names but didn't want to risk only having one boy and not getting to use both names, so Owen is Owen Benjamin Dominic.
My fiance has a son already (in the photo) but his ex didn't like the names of his dead brothers so gave Ollie one of her friend's names as a middle name instead..
Baby #4: Due 16/09/14
August 9th, 2010, 01:01 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Our son and future son will have 2 middle names. We wanted to be different and honor a family member. So their middle names are hypenated. Thankfully our last name is short and one syllable so their name doesn't sound too long. It's just a personal decision that we wanted to do.

August 9th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, it is family tradition. It can also be a cultural or religious thing.

More and more, it is just a matter of people playing by their own rules and doing whatever they darn well please with their kids names.

August 9th, 2010, 05:34 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
For us, its a family tradition on my husband's side to use two middle names, both family names.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

August 9th, 2010, 05:44 AM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our 2 middles names was something we had never planned to do. I will break it down into my own reasoning for you - My daughters name is Layla Brinley Ann. Layla is the name my DH & I adored for a 1st name. Brinley is a name I have always wanted to use and Ann is my mom, his moms, and his Grandmas middle. I kind of felt "forced" to use Ann. And I really didn't like JUST Layla Ann... Blah, just too DULL for me. SO I threw in Brinley.
It makes me kind of laugh when people are like "2 names, oh my her name will be sooo long" Errrr.. ummm... Well how how do you feel about the name Michael Alexander? That has 16 letters... Layla Brinley Ann only has 15 And what about Alexandria Renee? Same letters as my daughter.... I'm just saying, it really only comes down to a letter or 2 and in a lot of cases she has the same amount as a longer name. I've also known a few older people with 2 middles, which surprised me. I did think that using 2 middles was more modern but I have noticed more and more older people who have been named after both grandpas or grandmas. My Dad though, he has NO middle & personally, I think he got the short end of the stick cause I love names way too much & I'd be sad if I didn't even have 1 middle! lol
I'm not really for or against 2 middles, that's just how it worked for us.

August 9th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't intending on giving my son 2 middle names. But his father and I couldn't agree on one. I wanted James after my father and brother and he wanted Antonio after someone in his family (i totally forget who). So I just decided to give him both. Xavier Antonio James
August 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use two middle names because we wanted to and felt that it's more unique than a single middle name. We also do not use family names on purpose. I don't think it's really that big a trend - we just happen to have a larger population of name buffs here versus the general population out there...

August 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Jack is due 6.22.11!
We will most likely use one middle name for our kids but I am Tiffany Renee Katherine, I am named after my mom who died when I was young, Renee Katherine, originally it was just Tiffany Renee and that is what I normally use but on official documents I also include Katherine.

August 10th, 2010, 09:50 AM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Our kids both have two middles, one that we just liked and one that has meaning. It's like the best of both. Putting the middle that we liked in the first middle name slot gives them the middle initial of the name we wanted but the meaningful name is still in there which gives them a story along with their name. Plus most people just use their middle initial when writing their name and in the case of two middles, most just use the first, so:

Jordana Kymberleigh Rayne S____ = Jordana K. S_____
Jacoby Tristan Alekzander S_____ = Jacoby T. S_____

Just as if the 2nd middle wasn't there in the first place. So they can have the best of both
August 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our daughter has two middle names because DH and I couldn't decide. He'd agreed to the name I wanted at the last minute, but I felt bad for "winning" and put both on the birth certificate. I rarely put both names on anything though.

August 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
hannah79's Avatar A little bit wicked
I wanted my youngest to have 2 middle names. DH vetoed it. I wanted more than one because I couldn't decide what I really wanted for his middle name, so I thought I could just have both.

August 10th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
For us, we initially just wanted our first son to have two middle names. Reason being is because it was really important to me to have my maiden name (Scott) as my first son's middle name. However, I didn't like just Scott, and I *LOVE* Padraig... so we decided on two middle names. He's Seamus Padraig Scott.

After my son was born, we both loved the two middle name thing so much that we decided to do it with all our kids. I'm also a huge name lover and find it hard to narrow my choices to 2 names, lol. So the choice of giving all our kids two middle names appeals to me. Plus, I knew a few people growing up who had two middle names and I always liked that.

So each of our kids gets 3 given names (first and two middles). At least 2 of the names have to have some kind of meaning (named after someone we care about, a family name, or a spiritual connection), and the remaining name can be a name we just loved.

Our daughter is Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan. Rhiannon has spiritual connections, Siobhan is after family, and Caoimhe is just a name we loved. Seamus is after a friend, Scott is after family, and Padraig is just a name we loved. Their names may be a mouthful, but like someone else pointed out, middle names aren't used very often, so I personally don't think it's that big a deal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search