WDYT of Briar or Lola

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2010, 07:03 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I don't think anyone is saying he has GIRLS name, just that it is feminine. We are just discussing because she asked for our opinions and we're giving it. No reason to get snippy and take things so personally when we are NOT talking about YOUR CHILD... just a name that was inquired about.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbsnb View Post
No....he doesn't have a girls name! He has a unique name that is perfect for him. All unisex names can go either way depending on each person's interpretation and association. I also have the Disney association, which is why I think more girl than boy. BUT I knew a man named Ashley and he was the hottest guy I've ever met. I think the name helped add to that appeal. There is something handsome about unisex or more feminine names on men that I personally find appealing.
Ok i have to agree..I think Ashley is sexy on a man LOL...its the one "girl" name that I think is appealing on good looking guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGamer View Post
I don't think anyone is saying he has GIRLS name, just that it is feminine. We are just discussing because she asked for our opinions and we're giving it. No reason to get snippy and take things so personally when we are NOT talking about YOUR CHILD... just a name that was inquired about.

when the name is MY child's name and it is being discussed about I do take it personally..

its like telling someone you know whose child's name is Andy that you think Andy is an ugly name..but you dont mean THEIR Andy and they shouldnt take it personally...well of course that person is going to take it personally.

Last edited by *CAMM*; September 5th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
September 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A. It's not being asked about your child.

B. It's being asked AS a girls name in this instance

C. It's not about you. You didn't start this thread, and it's not about your child. It's about the name overall. You've succeeded in hijacking this thread and making it all about you and how you've been offended because someone is suggesting this is a feminine name. The OP wants to use it on a GIRL!

Lots of people hate my names. It's not personal. They hate the name, not your child. It's separate. Not everyone will agree with your choices.

September 5th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I think you need to disconnect a little bit. We are talking about a name, not your child. Not your son! Just because I don't like a name doesn't mean I don't like a person! I personally dislike my nephew and niece's names but it doesn't mean I love them any less! They aren't their name. Their name is just a pretty label for a glorious package! If someone told me they didn't like my name, I would automatically assume that it means I'm a terrible and hated person or take offense.
And for reference, I hate the name Andy with a flaming passion!!! And it is also a name that my husband goes by sometimes, and I can tell you, I don't hate my husband and he doesn't take offense.

And Lash, actually, the OP is asking about Briar for a boy and Lola for a girl.

(So sorry for thread-hijacking, btw).

September 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post

C. It's not about you. You didn't start this thread, and it's not about your child. It's about the name overall. You've succeeded in hijacking this thread and making it all about you and how you've been offended because someone is suggesting this is a feminine name. The OP wants to use it on a GIRL!

Lots of people hate my names. It's not personal. They hate the name, not your child. It's separate. Not everyone will agree with your choices.

ummm she wants to use it as a boys name.........

i dont care about people liking the name...that doesnt bother me at all. I have a problem with people telling the person who posted AND me that its a girl name..not a boy name or a unisex name.

September 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:

I wasnt offended by everyones posts...just mainly yours if that helps the situation any.

I was letting it go and trying to do it in a funny way saying "ok you got me my son has a girl name" and then you got on your high horse and typed out this whole post about history and Disney princess's...so really maybe you should of backed off..because like I said..I was done and admitted defeat and didnt want to argue.

September 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Saying a name is feminine is NOT saying its a girls name! Saying they prefer a name on girl is not saying that it isn't an acceptable unisex name. I think you are reading to into things.

Ezra is a very male name, yet very feminine.
Emerson is not a feminine name, but used on both girls and boys. Just beacuse it isn't feminine doesn't mean it can't be a girls name.

I just think you're over-sensitive.

September 5th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGamer View Post
Saying a name is feminine is NOT saying its a girls name! Saying they prefer a name on girl is not saying that it isn't an acceptable unisex name. I think you are reading to into things.

Ezra is a very male name, yet very feminine.
Emerson is not a feminine name, but used on both girls and boys. Just beacuse it isn't feminine doesn't mean it can't be a girls name.

I just think you're over-sensitive.
Well I guess you have your opinion I have mine...like i said PREVIOUSLY we can all agree to disagree on the name ...but for some reason you and Lash cant take that as an acceptable answer from me.

September 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Yes please keep dragging my name into it despite the fact that you report you want it to be done and over with.

My apologies for thinking she was asking for a girls name. Briar is still a classically feminine female name, even knowing she is asking for a boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
I wasnt offended by everyones posts...just mainly yours if that helps the situation any.

I was letting it go and trying to do it in a funny way saying "ok you got me my son has a girl name" and then you got on your high horse and typed out this whole post about history and Disney princess's...so really maybe you should of backed off..because like I said..I was done and admitted defeat and didnt want to argue.
If you read any of my post history you'll find that I post an extensive amount of history for names. I do the same in debates. I do the same in TTC. I do it all over JM. It has nothing to do with either you, or being on a high horse. It's merely educational. Sometimes, this isn't all about you.

September 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Yes please keep dragging my name into it despite the fact that you report you want it to be done and over with.

My apologies for thinking she was asking for a girls name. Briar is still a classically feminine female name, even knowing she is asking for a boy
Well I was over it...you on the other hand just kept on posting and posting. So sorry if your not used to people responding. Just for you though, I wont post again.

September 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Clearly you are highly angry because people disagree with you. You find it haughty to post educational research. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly have escaped your anger, other than to just say that Briar was only for a boy and left it at that.

I had no idea posting Google responses made me a horrific person, but clearly it makes me a meanie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
Well I was over it...you on the other hand just kept on posting and posting. So sorry if your not used to people responding. Just for you though, I wont post again.
Actually you've used my name in response to Christen. That is clearly not responding to ME, it's a response to Christen, yet you felt the need to make my name the clear recipient of your attacks. Either say it to me or don't say it at all

You have multiple posters saying that you are taking this far too personally when it's not about you or your child, and making this a huge attack out of nothing. People say it's female. History says it's female. It's not about your son. It can't be on our backs that you find that so irritating.

September 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
AJD04's Avatar Abby
Thanks for your opinions ladies and I apologize for this thread getting out of control. I really like the name Briar and I DO think the name can go both ways... but now that I think about it, that's not what I want. Ava, Faith and Liam are pretty gender specific and I should really keep it that way for our 4th.

Still debating on Lola!

September 8th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Personally I see Briar as a girls name, but I think it can be used for both. I like Lola, but more as a nickname, it goes well with your childrens names

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

September 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally prefer Briar on a boy but if a unisex name worries you, I'd stay away from it. I think Lola is adorable but I do think it sticks out a bit with your other girls names. If that doesn't bother you, I'd use it!
September 14th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Briar is a girls name that I love. Sorry, but it is the name of a famous Disney princess, Briar Rose-I don't see how you can get much more female than that. I like Lola. A similar name to Lola is Nola, just to throw it out there for you. My mil's name.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search