WDYT of Briar or Lola

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2010, 09:17 PM
AJD04's Avatar Abby
We just found out we were expecting our 4th but I thought I would start writing down some names.

What do you think about Briar/Brier for a boy or Lola for a girl?
Our childrens names are Ava, Faith and Liam.

September 4th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Briar is nms, I love Lola though!

September 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I love Lola though, but only as a nickname. It isn't very professional for later in life. Briar is cute, but rather feminine.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Lola

September 5th, 2010, 02:39 AM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not a fan of Brier/Briar. I love Lola though.

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

September 5th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Birds_of_a_feather's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a fan of Briar. I love Lola though. My SO didn't like it because of the song association, but we're having a boy anyway

September 5th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For some reason Briar feels more feminine than masculine to me. I like it more on a girl. Lola is a great name, but I'm not sure if I like it next to Faith and Ava. It seems a little too 'ethnic' next too Faith and Ava.

I prefer these names with Ava and Faith:

Claire
Nina
Leah
Violet
Lila
Ruby
Sophia
Nora
Caroline
Lucy

As for boy's names, what about:
Graham
Nolan
Owen
Brennan
Declan
Boden/Bodie
Levi
Reid
Noah
Elliott/Eli
Sullivan
Boyd
Dominic
Grady
September 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son is Bryar and I love his name!!!

Lola was on our list for our little girl as well, I think its spunky and sweet!

I dont think its girly at all ....the one time i heard Briar was on a movie with Liam Neeson..his character was Briar Gates....so I see it as a boy name and not a girl name. Plus the meaning of Briar is masculine.

We have gotten a lot of compliments on our son's name from strangers and family alike.

September 5th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think of Briar Rose to be honest, the original heroine from Sleeping Beauty, and that gives it an incredibly feminine feel to me. I know it might be used currently for boys, but I can only add it to lists like Aurora or Belle or other very feminine names, so it's very hard for me to see THAT spelling as a boy name

Quote:
Princess Aurora is a fictional character and a major character from Disney's 1959 animated film Sleeping Beauty (which she is mostly referred to as), as well as an official Disney Princess. She is also known as "Briar Rose".[1]

Known as the Princess of Beauty, Aurora is portrayed as romantic, sophisicated, kind, playful, and shy. Her most prominent personality trait is her passion for romance and love.
The good fairies of the kingdom, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, have blessed her with beauty and the gift of song. She is lonely most of the film, as she is isolated to a cottage in the woods. An enjoyer of the simple things in life, Aurora often wonders why her aunts treat her like a child and wishes to meet new people, see new places and make her own decisions.
Lola is a nickname for me as well- I would suggest a longer name, and use Lola as a nickname, again as others mentioned, so she can use her given long name when working professionally. Lola by itself is overtly sexual and refers to a racy courtesan or even Lolita's, young underage females that try to seduce older men.

September 5th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I guess we can all choose to differ on if its a boy or girl name, I personally see it as a boy name and we havent gotten any comments about it being a girl name IRL.

September 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I see Bryar as a boy's name, but spelled Briar, as a girl

September 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Origin and Meaning of the Name Briar

Origin: English
Meaning: Thorny plant
Spelled with an E instead of A
Quote:
Brier

Origin: French
Meaning: Heather
Many sites list it as unisex, although a large number do list it primarily as a girl's name. Spelled with a Y, it is often listed as boy

Quote:
Bryer: (m) (Middle English) "from the briar patch" (Poll rating: -17)

September 5th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Briar is one of my favorite names and I can see it working on either gender. Lola is cute as well.
September 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Don't like Briar, but, I do like Lola. Ava, Faith, Liam, and Lola flow so well together.
September 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Spelled with an E instead of A

Many sites list it as unisex, although a large number do list it primarily as a girl's name. Spelled with a Y, it is often listed as boy
I think its a unisex name like Cameron, Taylor,ect.. I just dont think it is any way a feminine name...Sophia is feminine..Bryar/Brier/Briar not so much... Bryar sounds too close to Brian for me to think girly at all.

September 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am also in the mindset that Briar is a feminine name. I also immediately thought of Sleeping Beauty so the reference is strongly feminine to me.

Lola is nmsaa but I also think its a better nickname then given name.
September 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I guess my son just has a girl's name then.....

September 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Ok you can get frustrated, but I can't somehow refute the history of the name itself. I can't go rewrite history just for you because you are angry that the name is typically used by girls. I"m sorry that makes you roll your eyes. I"m sure you researched the name before you used it, I can't be the first person to ever suggest Briar Rose or the history of this as a female name.

Not only historically is it a female name, it is even more specifically a Disney Princess name. It would be like me naming my daughter William and being angry if someone points out that it's a typically male name. It's fine for us to somehow use boys names for girls, but someone gets offended if we point out that boys sometimes use girl names. Briar is typically a female name, but that doesnt' meant it can't be unisex. I'm not sure why that makes you angry or roll your eyes, but blame the rest of the world, not me! I just pointed it out to the poster asking about using the name in the future.

Last edited by Lash; September 5th, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
September 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Ok you can get frustrated, but I can't somehow refute the history of the name itself. I can't go rewrite history just for you because you are angry that the name is typically used by girls. I"m sorry that makes you roll your eyes. I"m sure you researched the name before you used it, I can't be the first person to ever suggest Briar Rose or the history of this as a female name.

Not only historically is it a female name, it is even more specifically a Disney Princess name. It would be like me naming my daughter William and being angry if someone points out that it's a typically male name. It's fine for us to somehow use boys names for girls, but someone gets offended if we point out that boys sometimes use girl names. Briar is typically a female name, but that doesnt' meant it can't be unisex. I'm not sure why that makes you angry or roll your eyes, but blame the rest of the world, not me! I just pointed it out to the poster asking about using the name in the future.
Actually you are the first person to say my son carries a girl name.

Disney deciding to name their princess a unisex name to me does not dictate that my son is carrying a girls name.

What I cant stand is that everyone is saying my son has a girls name...when its clearly a unisex name. Its been used in movies AS A BOY NAME and AS A GIRL NAME....i roll my eyes because Im done sayings its unisex...and everyone else saying..sorry its a girls name. We have got nothing but compliments from people that they love our son's name...we have never once been told..hey isnt that princess aurora's fake name in the disney movie Sleeping Beauty.......

and actually the eye roll wasnt toward you...... it was toward the whole thread and me giving up....but I guess you were just looking to fight.

They named her Briar Rose because she was a Rose encased in thorny bushes aka briar's..that to me doesnt make Bryar/Briar feminine...

Last edited by *CAMM*; September 5th, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
September 5th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
I guess my son just has a girl's name then.....
No....he doesn't have a girls name! He has a unique name that is perfect for him. All unisex names can go either way depending on each person's interpretation and association. I also have the Disney association, which is why I think more girl than boy. BUT I knew a man named Ashley and he was the hottest guy I've ever met. I think the name helped add to that appeal. There is something handsome about unisex or more feminine names on men that I personally find appealing.

Last edited by mlbsnb; September 5th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search