Where do we even start?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but when you first found out you were pregnant how did you start narrowing down or really even talking about future names for your child?

This is my first pregnancy, and I don't even know where to start as far as names go! Any help, advice, etc are welcomed.

September 5th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I start by reading books, and not baby name books. I notice which characters names stand out to me, in fiction, history, all kinds of genre's. I really let myself evaluate even the most out there names. If I notice I'm drawn to classics like Katherine or Elizabeth, I'd start searching classic names.

If however you notice you are drawn to more eccentric or unusual names, I'd head down that path. Say them outloud with your last name

Try Nymbler.com. You put in suggestions and it will give you more ideas

Try this quiz to see which group you seem to fit into the most and it will give you a list at the end that fits in your style
Name Nerds! categories

For example, I list as Classic Eccentric

Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 35%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 20%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 15%
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 15%
Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 10%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 5%
Your personality type is: Classic Outmoded : 0%

It gives me names like this:
Annabel
Adeline
Cordelia
Emeline

Alastair
Caspar
Jasper
Jamison
Finnegan

These have been my fave names for a few years so the results seem to fit

September 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
dansgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on expecting your first!!

I just kept (and still do this for future babies) a running list on my computer (saved with notepad or microsoft word, etc) of names I like for each gender. Whenever I see names I like or might like, I'll add them. I get inspiration from anywhere. Here, random baby websites, other baby names forums, books/movies, magazines, etc. Baby books always seem kinda overwhelming whenever I try to go through them! I also like talking to my parents/grandparents about names in the family (first, middle, lasts). Sometimes last names make really neat first names for boys (like mother's maiden name, etc).
September 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh and I both went through a baby name book and wrote which ones we liked down on a list, then gave each other our lists and crossed off the ones we really didnt like or really didnt want to name our child. And narrowed it down every few days from there (as well as get other people opinions on some names). Good luck

September 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I'd look through books or the internet and jot down a few names that you like...then you can go to forums (like this one ) and ask for suggestions of similar names. Or if you realize you like a certain style such as biblical, old-fashioned, etc. you can search for those type of names. Or....if you want to honor family you can try and come up with names using family names.
September 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Thank you all for your responses. You all have been very helpful. Thanks for the link to the site.
This was my result:
Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 55%
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 25%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 15%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 5%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 0%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 0%
Your personality type is: Classic Outmoded : 0%

Not sure exactly what that all means. Hopefully this will be easier than I think it is going to be!

September 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did the names on the classic conservative list fit you? Post those!

September 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I think the most helpful thing in the beginning is for you and your DH to each write down a list of boy and girl names that you like. You can use a baby name book if you need inspiration, or just delve into the name bank already in your brain Once you each have a list, sit down and cross off the ones on each other's list that you absolutely can't stand. See what is left! Are there any names that were left standing that you both REALLY love? If so, that might be the end of your name search! If not, make a new list of the names that were not crossed off, and then start playing around on nymbler, or take a look at the book The Baby Name Wizard to see lists of other names that would "fit" with one that you are partial to for new ideas.

September 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
If you know names that you like nymbler.com is nice for finding suggestions. Also, I think its a good idea to get a book (I love The Baby Name Wizard). If you want to look for a name with a special meaning or learn the history of the name I like behindthename.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search