Nickname names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Mei Mei's Avatar Veteran
No, I wouldn't. I adore nicknames on a baby and little girl. However, there comes a time where Emmy no longer suits. I mean, it doesn't exactly sound formal enough for a college application, much less for a judge, doctor or president. I guess I'd just prefer to give my daughter options. Give her the option to be Kitty Boo as a baby, Katie as a little girl, Kate as a teenager and Katherine as a professional, rather than 'just' Kitty.

September 11th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love nicknames as given names! The person makes the name....the name doesn't make the person! Names that are classified as nicknames are usually spunky, cute and full of energy.
September 11th, 2010, 07:55 AM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I would put the longer more formal name on the birth certificate but call the child by the nickname I liked. That way as an adult, if he/she wants a professional career, they have the option of using the formal name. It's hard to picture a Dr. Millie or Professor Emme.
September 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Super Mommy
I'm kinda on both sides. I prefer to use the adult names so there's options and of course something to age with. But there are some nicknames that I think work fine on their own... Kate, Belle (or Bella), Liv, Christy.. those are some right of the top of my head. Just depends..

Thanks to cavewoman for my beautiful siggy!

September 11th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes, i would and I have. My 5th is Saffi. If she feels like her name is too juvinile, she can go by her middle name of Ann

September 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Jack is due 6.22.11!
I love the name Jack, just Jack and would use that as a full name.

September 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks i love it too. it was one of those on THE LIST forever names and i FINALLY talked DH into it

September 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I personally would not. I tend to like longer names anyways, and I like the option of a more formal name even if I plan to use a nn on my child. Jack is one of the few that I would consider as a stand alone name, but I'd never use it because that is my FIL's name- not my favorite person in the world

September 11th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Julka
Nope, I prefer longer names with nicknames. My oldest is Natasha who mostly goes by Tasha and my youngest is Veronika who goes by Nika. They both know their full names and nicknames.

I've met plenty of grown-up Tasha's.. where it's their first and full name. But I prefer longer first names that can have cute, shorter nicknames.
September 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It would depend on the name for me. If I liked the nickname more than the longer one, then I'd use the nickname. Ex. I'd use Charlie as a given name over Charles any day. Most professionals that I know go by Mr/Mrs/Dr/ lastname so I've never given much credibility to that whole 'Professional' name theory.
September 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I would as long as I felt like it could stand alone. For instance, one of my top 10 boy names is Lex. Most people see it as a nn but I see it as a full name.
September 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
I love nicknames on girls! I think it's so spunky. BUT I prefer having a longer, more formal name as their first name... that way if they grow out of their nicknames or tell me they hate their NN they can have the option to go by their full first name.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
September 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
maggievee's Avatar Member
It all depends on the name in my opinion. For instance, I think Pippa is very cute and would much prefer that than Phillipa on a child or an adult.
Naming a child "Candy" instead of Candice....not so much. (I know a couple that plans on doing this-raised an eyebrow and then told myself well, it's their child and their right-I just wouldn't do it myself.)

It's all up to the discretion of the parent I suppose to choose something they both enjoy and they think their child will like at all stages in their life.
September 12th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think some work as a full name (such as Kate, Lola, Roxy) and some need a more formal name (Belle, Milly)

September 12th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
It all just depends on the name. Names like Kate or Ben sound like nicknames. Names like Callie and Emme sound like they could be either. Names like Jack and Max sound like they are stand alone names.

I think I would usually prefer using the more formal name over the nickname, especially if the formal name was more common. Such as using Olivia over Liv, Isabelle over Belle, Tyler over Ty, etc.

Lola and Roxy I would assume were stand alone names because the more formal names for those nicknames aren't common at all.

Last edited by Miracle; September 12th, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
September 13th, 2010, 09:49 AM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
YES! I am not a nickname person. All my kids are called what we named them. Therefore if I want to call her Emme, for example as that was a her name for a bit. I would just name her Emme, not Emmaline. etc..
September 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I totally think it depends on the name. I tend to think -ie/y names sound much more nicknamey, and therefore, informal, like Millie, Ellie, and Libby.

Kate, Lola, Belle etc. sound much more substantial to me, and therefore a little more like full names.

Personally, I love the idea of using a formal (Katherine vs Kit) name with nn options, for a child to grow into and out of --- but I also loooove Emme

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search