How popular is too popular?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2010, 01:24 PM
tetchy's Avatar N.A.K.
I've been dead set on the name Oliver for years and it's number 98 in the us-which I think is great. Seems not too popular. Than I dug further and found the name mapper that gives popularity by state and it's #47 and #53 in the north west. Big difference! I don't want our child to have to deal with going to school with several kids of the same name.

Wdyt? How popular is too popular for you? Would you choose a name in the top 50? In the top 10?

Beautiful Piggy By Julieta Beautiful Soggy By Beautiful Saggy By Julita raBeautiful Siggy By Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*

September 11th, 2010, 03:02 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
My preference would be for a name below the top 100 for my kids, but Josiah was #104 when he was born, and has continued to climb into the 70's. I'm still glad I chose a name that I love for my son! I think the only total dealbreaker for me would be if the name was in the top 25 or so. And if I absolutely loved a name and none other seemed right, I'd ignore popularity and use it anyways. So, if I were you, I'd still use Oliver.

PS. For what it's worth, I've been teaching elementary music for 6 years in Washington state, and have never had an Oliver in my classroom

September 11th, 2010, 03:34 PM
tetchy's Avatar N.A.K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremi View Post

PS. For what it's worth, I've been teaching elementary music for 6 years in Washington state, and have never had an Oliver in my classroom

Oh, that is nice to hear. I have a niece who works in a preschool and my mother works in an elementary school-I keep asking do you know any 'Olivers'? They haven't come across them either! Yay.

I've searched and searched and I've found other names that I like but, none that I can imagine my child having. We may just have to stick with it.

Beautiful Piggy By Julieta Beautiful Soggy By Beautiful Saggy By Julita raBeautiful Siggy By Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*

September 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
maggievee's Avatar Member
The only name I have EVER removed from my list due to popularity is Aiden/Aidan, just because of the massive jump in popularity not only of it but also the Jaiden/Braiden/Kaiden/Zaiden etc etc jump. I love them all and they're all adorable (I know at least one of each in my town) but I couldn't have my future child be another Brittany or Josh of their generation.
I adore the name Oliver and while I live in the Southeast I can say I haven't run across one here under the age of 16. It's a timeless name for me and ages fantastically so if you love it I say I'd keep it.
September 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I don't think it's too trendy. It's a great name, so I'd say go for it!

September 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremi View Post

I have also worked in several schools for about 8 years now and I have also never had an Oliver, or heard of a child who had a sibling named Oliver. I really love Oliver...it's so cute and spunky! And it goes SO well with your daughter's name!
September 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I will be using Oliver, and I guess as long as it doesn't go in the top 10, I don't care. I love it too much

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In the top 10. BUT you cant change what other people name their kids in the years following your kids (this happened with 2 of my kids where we used to live)

September 12th, 2010, 02:57 AM
KirstyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I probably wouldn't use a name in the top 20.. definitely not the top 10.
Oliver is number 2 in England and number 1 in the area that I live, but obviously as he is my step-son, I didn't name him. Owen is number 40-something, I think.
Baby #4: Due 16/09/14
September 12th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know one kid here in England called Oliver, my friends baby that was born last year. However Oliver is a very nice name, and I would still use it. Top 25 would be a no go for me but above that if I loved the name I would use it anyway

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

September 12th, 2010, 06:30 AM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely like to stay away from the top 10, not because I don't LIKE the names because I LOVE some top 10 names, I just don't want them to be know as Ava N. or Jacob N. in a group setting, Ya know?

I think anything outside of the top 30 though realistically the kid won't run into TOO many like the Madison's, Isabella's, Ava's, Emma's, and Jacob's will. I've never met an Oliver.

September 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think that is too popular. TOO popular is top 10 in my opinion. And you have to keep alternative spellings in mind as well - and Oliver does not have any that I am aware of! It is a very handsome name! I say go for it!
September 12th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
For me personally, anything in the top 100 is way too popular. I would prefer to even stay out of the top 500 though. But if I love a name enough and it's not in the top 100, then I'll use it. If I think it's too close to the top 100, I'll use it as a middle name.

Oliver is a great name! I agree with the person that said it's spunky and goes well with your daughter's name.

I also agree with the other person that said that even if the name isn't popular NOW, it can always become more popular in the years to come. So we never *really* know.

September 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
I don't think it matters that much. I LOVE the name Oliver, I have NEVER met one.
We are naming our DD Layla. I *think* it's around 60-70, which is higher then I would want but really I have yet to meet a Layla so I'm not concerned.
September 12th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh ૐ View Post
For me personally, anything in the top 100 is way too popular. I would prefer to even stay out of the top 500 though.
This is my preference as well. "Too popular" really is relative to each person. I think Oliver is a great name. I personally would not use a name in the top 100 but that's not to say that I don't appreciate a lot of those names.
September 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I would stay out of the top 100, but that is my preference. Honestly though, if you like the name enough, who cares how many other kids have the same name.

I like the name Oliver. I know one guy with the name, but he's like 35.

September 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
tetchy's Avatar N.A.K.
Thanks for all of the good advice! Dh and I talked it over and both of us do truly love the name. Plus and no one in his extensive family or my family or our circle of friends knows an Oliver so Oliver it will be-if we have a boy! And I have a feeling it's a boy though because it would be so much cheaper for us to have a girl right now I just hope we never move to London! Then he'd really have a common name. lol

Oliver

Last edited by tetchy; September 12th, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
September 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Congrats on settling in on a name

September 13th, 2010, 08:42 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would prefer to stay out of the top 1,000 for all of my children's names, but some of the names I love are in the top 500. Top 100 is too common for me to use and I would stay as far as possible away from the Top 10. My husband has a Top 10 name (has been Top 10 probably since Biblical times) and hates how common his name is. I have a unique name (probably less than one hundred with this name in the world) and love it. We want our children to have unique names and not have to be Jacob G. or Isabella G. 3 or whatever. Our last name is a total pain too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search