Question.

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Veteran
I have a cousin who has a son named Landon. I also have another cousin who is pregnant. They are keeping it a surprise, so they have to come up with a name for each gender. Their girl name is Elyse, nn Ellie. But their boy name is Landen. She has asked my other cousin if it would be ok, but I still think it's kind of weird. Now, the Landon that is already born is 3 years old. He does live quite a distance away and we only see them once or twice a year, but I still think it will be very confusing. My question is would you consider a name that is already taken by a child in your family, even if they live far away?
September 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
MamaTo2Ls's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't do it, and honestly I would be bothered if a family member decide to name a baby Lucas or Laylah.

<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">

September 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i wouldn't do it, but it's happened before. my sister had her youngest son colton (cole) and about a year later my aunt who lives in TX (we live in IL) named her son cole. i've always thought it was sort of weird.

September 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't do it but I do think that long distances kind of soften the blow in those cases.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

September 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I don't think I'd do it.. but that said, I wouldn't mind if someone used Gabrielle or Emersyn - as long as they asked me first......

September 27th, 2010, 04:24 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I don't think I would do it. Even if they live long distance, it's still in the family. I would get annoyed having to correct someone if they were talking about the wrong child.

September 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That would annoy me. I definitely would NOT do it.

September 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
If it was a family name then possibly...definitely for a middle name. I would also consider it if it were a very distant relative and I LOVED the name. DH has a cousin that named her son Hayden...he honestly hasn't seen her since they were kids and we will likely never see them aside from funerals. We did consider Hayden at one time.

Last edited by Bedazzled; September 27th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
September 27th, 2010, 07:04 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldnt if I knew

September 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I would do it especially if there are different nickname options and especially if there is quite some geographical distance between the kids.

Dh comes from a mom with 6 siblings and a dad with 6 siblings. Most of those siblings have children and then the next generation has started to have kids. So, many names get snapped up in this large family yet we see those people once a year, if that.

Dh has a cousin Alexander who always goes by Sasha (his mom is Russian) that we see once a year. I've considered using Alexander, nn: Lex or Zane. I don't think it'd be a big deal at all.
September 27th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Honestly I wouldn't do it but to some people it doesn't seem to matter or bother them. I think it isn't as bad if they live far away and won't see each other much.

September 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Veteran
I like so many names that I wouldn't do it. But I don't think it's bad if people do. My mom was going to name my older sister Cameron if she was a boy, obviously she wasn't. But both my mom and sister like Cameron now for a girl (Camryn). My sister has said that her first daughter will be Camryn. Our cousin who lives across the county just had a son named Cameron. My sister still plans on using the name since we never see them and it's different last names.

September 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I would never use a name that my brother and his wife or my BIL/SIL chose to use. I would also never use a name that my two cousins who live in state and we spend holidays with had used. BUT... anyone further removed than that would not pose a problem for me. I have only ONE name that I absolutely love for a future little boy. If somebody beyond my close circle of family used it, I would still use it on my own child. I also don't have a problem with variations on the same name within family. I know one family that has cousins named Alexander and Alexandra. The Colton/Cole example wouldn't bother me either since they are both stand alone names and one just happened to be shortened to a nn.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search