Ever had a name chosen, and then someone destroyed it?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
I don't mean like snatched by friends or family, but you've had a name chosen and all of a sudden you are out and about in your community and the name is suddently forever ruined for you?

I was pretty much set for my girl names, both Sophia and Liliana were my two top contenders...... Sophia is pretty much still there, but I guess it is just becoming too popular for my taste....
And I have been going to a prenatal group lately, and there is a little girl named Lilliana and it seems that every 5 minutes, her mom is yelling her name - it has really just left a distaste for now......
So now I am thinking Lillian because it is close to what I wanted, but its just not the same.......
October 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That stinks....for what it's worth I like Lillian better anyway.

I'm usually not to worried about associations changing my mind, unless they are just extremely bad...like Lucifer or something. If it feels like THE name then use it but if it doesn't then it's probably a sign.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

October 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it's popular, but one of the few names DH and I could both tolerate (he doesn't like any of the girl names I like!) was Madison, and someone kept saying "mad as sin"

and of course, our favorite girl name for my last pregnancy was Claire, and my mom ruined it because it's her estranged sister's name

oh, and we were thinking of Parker for a boy with our first baby but DH's grandma kept saying "Porter" and it just drove me nuts

I used to think Lucas was a nice name, until I babysat a Lucas who made me want to jump off a building.

October 24th, 2010, 08:14 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with you on the too popular aspect. I loved a lot of the popular names too, but we decided on Eliza. Not popular, still pretty IMO, different, but not for the sake of being so.
I guess you just have to find a happy medium, or if you can't go with what you like, despite popularity.

Oct '11 June '12
October 25th, 2010, 12:46 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
There are obviously names that have become super popular that I used to love and am now tired of (Isabella, Olivia, Madelyn). But the only name that was truly ruined for me was Naomi. I had a college roommate by this name who turned out to be a psycho, to the point where she put the safety of our entire living situation in danger because she was meeting up with random guys that she had met online who were only interested in her for one thing... many of them were far older than us, and several were married. It was AWFUL. Plus, we were pretty sure she got involved in some drug activity too. It ended with the rest of us roommates having to do an intervention, calling her parents and spilling the gory details to them, because we were worried she was going to wind up dead in the back of somebody's pickup truck. She ended up dropping out of school and going home. Last I heard, she had gotten her act together and was doing okay. But that is the ONE NAME that I love, but can never use now.

October 25th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
I've still got time left, so I am going to just hope that the perfect name comes to me.

I know that I was supposed to be a "Stacey", but I guess some kid was having a massive temper tantrum in the store and my it killed that idea for my mom. I am really really happy about that.
October 25th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jasper. i've liked that name for a long time and twilight totally ruined it. and, for some reason, people seem to think it's a girl name and i've seen it on quite a few girls lately. just sad. but i really like it and still....maybe...i might use it. i don't know. it's up in the air now.

October 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Purple654's Avatar Rhett's Mommy
I always loved Cora but then I met my now ex boyfriend's evil sister!

October 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I have an ancester names Sarah Margaret Bailey. I loved her name, especially since I heard Bailey as a name two decades ago. When I got pregnant I wasn't married and my motehr was pretty upset and she said the name I like with such a nasty tone that I have nevr been able to stomach it as a baby name.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search