Making Fun of Names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Purple654's Avatar Rhett's Mommy
When considering a name how important is it to you that the name could be twisted and the kid teased by his/her peers?

Have you scrapped a name you loved because of this?

November 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I do consider it but I haven't really come across too many names that I like that I feel would be easily teased. If I did love a name that I felt would be easily teased I would use it as a middle name, I wouldn't want to strap my child with a name that was easily teased.

November 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
No, I don't take it into consideration. All 3 kids have different names. That's just my naming style.

I am 29 and people still twist my name around.

November 4th, 2010, 11:41 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I've never loved a name that was one that could be easily teased, and don't think I ever would. I am extremely sensitive to this, since as an elementary teacher, I've seen how hard it can be for kids when their name gives their peers extra ammunition.

November 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Not very important. I mean I wouldn't name my kid Dorcus or Dick but I think kids can find teasing potential in any name...so I wouldn't eliminate a name I love just because there might be some possibility of teasing. My son's name is Blaise....there's a possibility of a "stoner" reference there....and his initials are B.J. We loved the name though so we used it anyway.
November 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It obviously didn't deter me. My son's name is Chuck.

I guess I think that just about any name can be twisted into something else.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
November 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Regular
I do take it into consideration, but like others have said, almost any name can be twisted. My FIL is the worst...he's done it with each of our kids. I really didn't know what he could possible do with Brock...but he started calling him Broccoli...

Mom to:

Brock Grayson 10/8/07
Claire Emeline 06/27/02
Luke Shelton 03/28/00

All c-sections babies, all BF for 1 year

anxiously awaiting Colby Mack to join us (via c-section) on December 8
November 5th, 2010, 11:44 PM
This is my story. My first name is George. Which i dislike very much. As a kid, i studdered like porky pig. So i was teased alot, being called either georgie porgie, or porky pig. I had very low self esteem which was brought to my adult life. That i have resolved. One day, i had enough, and fought back. Every time someone called me those names, i hit them. Instead of being picked on, and teased, the other kids left me alone.

I suggest not naming a child from a nursery rhyme. I am going to court soon to have my name legally changed. Not because of this, but because i am a Jr. And my dads bad credit on mine etc. And also because my dads side of the family is bad. Changing my last name to my moms maiden name. My new first name will be Nash. Thanks.
November 7th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My sons 2 friends at school are called Rocky and Merlin. I think its the area we live in so they are more accepted, but when I was little, if anyone had had so different then they probably would have been teased. I do think its important to think about. We thought about it a lot with Caspar, because of the ghost reference, but its not really on tv here now so I think he'll be alright

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

November 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
crossed Tucker off the list b/c if you swap the T for an F... it's just too easy KWIM?

November 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
If I was stuck choosing between my top 2 names, I might let that be the deciding factor. But if it was my number 1 name and nothing else was even close, I'd overlook it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search