This has me shaking my head

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I was talking a family friend IRL. I was telling her that if we ever have a daughter, we want to name her Annabelle Lillian. She then told me that was a really frilly and feminine name, like it was a bad thing. I personally believe that feminine names are appropriate for girls. I realize that not everyone likes the frilly, feminine names though, but we haven't even conceived yet and already people are criticizing our name choices. It just left me shaking my head.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

January 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
Not everyone will agree with your name choices. The name is nms, but I think it's very pretty and who cares what other people think, it's your baby.

When we told my mom the name we picked for our daughter (Adrea), she didn't like it. She actually made some pretty rude comments about it. I was mad, but I didn't let it get to me.

January 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! You were better able to express what I was trying to say. I get that not every name is everyone's style. I respect that. What I don't get is being rude about it.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

January 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think everyone experiences a bit of that from time to time. I've learned to not really discuss our name choices with anyone IRL until the baby is born. With Isabel, no one knew her name until she arrived. Of course we didn't even know what we were going to name her until 2 days before she was born, but we didn't discuss our options with anyone.
January 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Well, you just discovered why so many people choose to keep their names a secret from their IRL friends People can be really rude, but try not to let it get to you. I think you picked a very pretty name.

January 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Thats kind of strange but to each their own, you can't let peoples opinions bother you as long as you love the name!

January 9th, 2011, 03:27 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thats why we never tell names until birth!

January 9th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
End of the day there will be people who don't like your name choices - but I agree, they don't have to be mean/rude about it...

Everyone criticises my DD's m/n's - Jayda-Leigh & Lily-May, but I happen to love them, and don't really care what anyone else thinks!

January 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
People are like that. My mom is really bad about being rude about name choices. I personally love Annabelle. I have a friend that named her daughter that and I think that it was just beautiful! I have another friend that named her baby Rosemary (I find them on the same level) and I love it too.

January 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
People really didn't like Harper's name but we loved it. If you love it, then don't worry about what other people think.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

January 10th, 2011, 01:22 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I agree with some of the other posters. You just learned a hard lesson why it's sometimes better to just not discuss baby names with close relatives and friends before baby is born.

I learned that lesson for two reasons...one the same reason as you've learned - people will be critical of it. Secondly, family or a friend might decide to use the name you've chosen. I had told my SIL my top choice for a boy. She had been saying for 2 years the names she was going to use for her first 2 sons, so I thought I was perfectly safe. Days after I told her my boy's name, she was pregnant. The following month she had her husband send out an email saying my chosen name was their baby's name.

So, I don't share names with that side of the family anymore.

BTW, I love Annabelle Lillian. If the first 4 letters weren't the ending of my name, I would have considered Annabelle for DD1 instead of Isabella.
January 10th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Mei Mei's Avatar Veteran
I've had people laugh and ask something like, "Wow, thats funny! Where'd you get that name from? "

Ehh, whatever. I just don't care. I don't think people are trying to be rude, they just don't think about how personal names are to each person. And, anyway, if you don't like my kiddos name, you must just have horrid tastes.

Last edited by Mei Mei; January 10th, 2011 at 04:35 AM.
January 10th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Can't wait to be a Mommy!
Send a message via AIM to StephanieAZ Send a message via Yahoo to StephanieAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediRach View Post
People really didn't like Harper's name but we loved it. If you love it, then don't worry about what other people think.
I love Harper Elizabeth!! Beautiful name.

This is why I don't plan on discussing baby names w/ close friends & relatives. I doubt they will say anything negative once the name is actually given! Well, I'd hope not...
January 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love what Mei Mei had to say!

My first name choices were Roghan and Annaresa (a hybrid of Annabelle and Teresa).

My very best friend immediately announced that Annaresa made her think of Gonorrhea and pretty much ruined it for me. She next tackled my boy's name saying that I shouldn't name my son after a men's hair dye...

Her chosen baby names as of now are nms, but I never knocked them down.

It kind of hurt my feelings when we were ttc, but it just seems more personal now that it's a real possibility that there could be a Roghan in there. (Could be those pregnancy hormones!!)

I don't really mind if people tell me they don't like my names, there's a good chance I don't like the ones you have chosen either. I obviously have a different idea than you about name styles, but that does not mean you have to tear them down... We aren't 10 anymore and bullying isn't in style.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

January 10th, 2011, 10:30 AM
PennyLane1121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know how you feel. I just got told, no more than an hour ago, that if I name my daughter Charlotte Aurora that she will be a "stupid kid"...this coming from my dad. He is adamant on me naming her Sophia. I don't get it. If you don't like the name, have some freakin tact and be nice....I feel for you hun, I know how awful it is...especially when its someone close to you.

January 10th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter's name is Phoebe....my entire family disliked it until she was born. Now they say it fits her perfectly.
January 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I remember when I was pregnant with Carly my grandpa informed me that Carl was a boy name and if I named her Carly she would grown up to be a "he-she"

January 11th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane1121 View Post
I know how you feel. I just got told, no more than an hour ago, that if I name my daughter Charlotte Aurora that she will be a "stupid kid"...this coming from my dad. He is adamant on me naming her Sophia. I don't get it. If you don't like the name, have some freakin tact and be nice....I feel for you hun, I know how awful it is...especially when its someone close to you.
How rude! It's a beautiful name.

January 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
butterfly68's Avatar Super Mommy
aww that's horrible when ppl close to you act like that.

My mom "vetoed" alot of names I liked like I wasn't allowed to name my kid something she didn't like.

with my boys we decided to keep names to ourselves until they arrived. It's harder to diss a name when it belongs to such a sweet little angel. ykwim.

*Thankyou Kiliki for my wonderful siggy*

Nearly 7 months since I quit smoking!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search