Which spelling?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I desperately need your opinions on the spelling of a name. I don't think I have posted this here yet. I am struggling with how to spell Marek/Merrick

Some things to consider please-

I like the Merrick spelling but am TERRIFIED of the "rick" or "ricky" nickname. I would be upset if he was called that.

I also like Marek but I am afraid it seems too "foreign" (a friend told me this & stupid me, now it's all I can think about)

His middle names will be Beau Louis so..Marek Beau Louis or Merrick Beau Louis

We have a pretty common, easy last name.

So what are your opinions on which spelling to use?

January 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I prefer Merrick, there is a little girl in my younger DD's playroom with this name
January 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I prefer Merrick. What about Marik/Merik?

January 11th, 2011, 02:43 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
I prefer the Merrick spelling. Nice name!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
January 11th, 2011, 02:52 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
merrick

January 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This was on our list for our baby boy that we're expecting in June. We were going to spell it Merrick.

Formerly known as "mommynina"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Merrick. Nice name

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
butterfly68's Avatar Super Mommy
I think Merrick Beau Louis looks better than the other spelling

*Thankyou Kiliki for my wonderful siggy*

Nearly 7 months since I quit smoking!!
January 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I prefer the Merrick spelling too.

January 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't have thought Marek and Merrick were pronounced the same. I like Marek better, Merrick sounds like a brand name or a last name. Also, the Elephant Man.
January 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merolia View Post
I wouldn't have thought Marek and Merrick were pronounced the same. I like Marek better, Merrick sounds like a brand name or a last name. Also, the Elephant Man.

Actually they aren't, in Polish Marek is said MAHR-rek but I would say Marek Mare-eck, because I can.

So does anyone have any input on the nickname Ricky/Rick? By choosing the spelling MERRICK would I be subjecting him to the awful possibility of being nicknamed RICK or RICKY?

Thanks for all the input!

January 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynina View Post
This was on our list for our baby boy that we're expecting in June. We were going to spell it Merrick.

Oh how neat! & we are even in the same Due date club! That's a coincidence! It's weird, we only had this name picked for our boy and NO girl names so I was kind of hoping for a boy to make the naming process a little smoother & now here I am fretting over the spelling!

January 11th, 2011, 07:43 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I think you'd only get the nn Rick/Ricky if you instigated it. If a kid on the playground used it, I don't think it would stick unless your son wanted it to. I actually like Marek best, but with the combo of mn's, I think Merrick looks better. I wouldn't worry about the nn. I think you will be able to avoid it.

January 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Merrick better.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

January 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I much prefer Merrick and I wouldn't worry too much about the Rick/Ricky nn. I know of a Michael who never goes by Mike/Mikey. If you and he do not want it to stick, it won't.
January 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Merrick, definitely. I'm not a fan of Louis, but Merrick Beau is really cute.
January 12th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi714 View Post
So does anyone have any input on the nickname Ricky/Rick? By choosing the spelling MERRICK would I be subjecting him to the awful possibility of being nicknamed RICK or RICKY?
I doubt people would call him Rick or Ricky, unless he asked to be. They might come up with Merry on their own, though.
January 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Mei Mei's Avatar Veteran
Merrick is my preference, because its the original and more familiar spelling. I don't think you need to worry about Ricky, and if you did, it wouldn't be because of the spelling. The name would still sound the same, after all.

Last edited by Mei Mei; January 12th, 2011 at 01:38 AM.
January 12th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, the Merrick association is just too strong with Joseph Merrick, so I would go with Marek.

I think spelling is a moot point if you are pronouncing the two names the same way, though. Either way, if you are saying it with the 'rick' sound at the end, there is a chance people will try to shorten it to Ricky. They're going to hear it a lot more than they see it written. It's like naming your daughter Elisabeth to avoid the nickname Liz- she'll get just as many people trying to call her that as an Elizabeth because they're going off of what they hear her called, not whether or not all the letters to the nickname are actually present in her name. Stephens get called Steve, Gillians will be called Jill, and so on.

There is no way to predict if you'll win the nickname war, it'll be up to your son ultimately. All you can do is decide if you love the name Merrick enough to risk a nickname you hate.

[Just wanted to add, I do sympathize. I dread the day DD tells me she wants to be called Trixie, not Bea, lol.]

January 12th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Can't wait to be a Mommy!
Send a message via AIM to StephanieAZ Send a message via Yahoo to StephanieAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendula View Post
For me, the Merrick association is just too strong with Joseph Merrick, so I would go with Marek.

I think spelling is a moot point if you are pronouncing the two names the same way, though. Either way, if you are saying it with the 'rick' sound at the end, there is a chance people will try to shorten it to Ricky. They're going to hear it a lot more than they see it written. It's like naming your daughter Elisabeth to avoid the nickname Liz- she'll get just as many people trying to call her that as an Elizabeth because they're going off of what they hear her called, not whether or not all the letters to the nickname are actually present in her name. Stephens get called Steve, Gillians will be called Jill, and so on.

There is no way to predict if you'll win the nickname war, it'll be up to your son ultimately. All you can do is decide if you love the name Merrick enough to risk a nickname you hate.

[Just wanted to add, I do sympathize. I dread the day DD tells me she wants to be called Trixie, not Bea, lol.]

The PP brings up a very good point. I agree... using the name, no matter how it's spelled, opens the possibility to people trying to shorten it to Rick or Ricky. I would use the name if you love it and squash any attempts to shorten it, until your son is old enough to decide on his own. Who knows... he may go through a phase where he actually WANTS to be called Ricky.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search