Question about names of twins ??

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Alright at my 7 week appointment we got a wonderful surprise that we are expecting twins !! my questions is do you name both children with the same letter in their first name ,I see alot of people do this like Clara and colton etc ??? We are waiting the the first of March to find out the sex of the babies and then we will start picking out names,
January 17th, 2011, 09:50 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I personally would name them as if they were separate pregnancies, not twins. It really comes down to personal taste.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

January 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
I wouldn't give them names that "match" in any way, personally. My brother and sister are twins and their names have nothing to do with each other. Twins are going to have to deal with a lot of cutesy stuff just because they're twins (especially if they're the same gender), so I personally think it's better if their names aren't cutesy, like rhyming or starting with the same letter.

But it's totally a personal preference thing

January 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Can't wait to be a Mommy!
Send a message via AIM to StephanieAZ Send a message via Yahoo to StephanieAZ
I might use the same letter. I don't think that's overly cutesy. But I definitely wouldn't make them too matchy or rhyme or anything like that. Just my personal preference.
January 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
you can name them whatever names you like! I personally am not big on twins having the same first letter in their name. I have twin girls named Natalia and Georgia, nns Talia and Gigi!

January 17th, 2011, 02:39 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I might use the same letter if it was boy/girl twins, but if it was same gender twins and quite possibly just in general, I would be more likely to pick two names that have similar "feels" to them without being related. For instance, my favorite twin set for girls is Charlotte and Francesca.

January 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
_danielle_'s Avatar Veteran
I think it's a matter of preference. I wouldn't mind names that start with the same letter but I definitely wouldn't want rhyming names.

January 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I would use names that have similar "feels" to them but not necessarily have them start with the same letter. And I wouldn't use rhyming names either.

January 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Any naming with the same letter for me, would be purely because those were my two favourite names.. I wouldn't intentionally give them the same 1st letter

January 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I would name them the same thing I'd name siblings that were singleton pregnancies. I've never been a fan of combining multiples into one (ie being "the twins"). They're individuals and should be treated as such. This is, of course, just my personal opinion.

If I had planned my future kids to be named Sarah, Thomas, Julie, and Peter... I wouldn't suddenly change those names to Sarah and Cara; or Thomas and Timothy; or Sarah and Stephen; just because they are twins, ya know? They're still individual people and sharing a womb doesn't change that.

Basically what I'm saying is that in my personal taste, my name choices wouldn't change based on a multiple pregnancy. But everyone has their own tastes. Some people like matchy names for twins. It's up to you.

Congrats on your twins!

January 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Personally it's bland and not too creative, but that's just me. I don't know if this is your first pregnancy, but if it is, and if you have kids later on down the road, you're gonna be stuck with the same letter-theme for who knows how many kids.

~ Cece
January 17th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I wouldn't use two names that began with the same letter unless I just really liked the names.
January 18th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally don't care for twin matching names. If you just love two names that start with the same letter, then go for it. I personally didn't want to limit myself to only a specific letter for both names. We picked names that we'd use if we'd had two separate pregnancies. While they are twins, we want people to think of them as individuals. I think that's harder to do with similar names.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 18th, 2011, 07:45 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would use two names that I love. If they happen to start with the same letter, fine. But I wouldn't go out of my way to pick names that start with the same letter... like if I loved Grace, I wouldn't stress about finding another G name.
January 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would also just use my favorite two names, whether they started with the same letter or not. If they do, that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too.

January 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Congratulations on your twins! I hope you have a happy & healthy 9 months!

I agree with others. I'd just pick your two favorite names and go with those. I'd prefer for them to be of the same style just as I've done with all my children's names, but that's just me. All my boys have old-fashioned names: Max, Theodore, and Jack. Jack is a family name and I only agreed to it because we wouldn't be using it on a daily basis due to his passing. Max and Jack are too close for brother names for my liking and I think I would have called him Owen if we had him today. But still, Max, Theo, and Owen are all names popular 100 years or so ago, so they have the same feel to them.
January 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't name twins with names starting with the same letter or that rhyme. They are individuals and deserve individual names.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

January 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Jack is due 6.22.11!
I would just name them like I would name a singleton.

I'm a twin, we are Tiffany Renee and Jessica Nicole, I have always loved having a totally different name from her.

January 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM
TheTruthWillSetUFree
WOW!!! I can NOT believe that everyone is so against same letter twin names! I mean, I know it's trendy not to use the same name and all but...sheesh!
When I see twins w/o similar names it seems so disconnected to me but that's just me I guess. lol! I have wanted twins all my life. If I'm ever blessed with them, they will have the same letter for sure. Same syllables too if my DH and agreed on them. Twins share a special connection w/ each other and I think giving them names that strengthens that connection is so cool. We would still keep the middle name tradition that we've given to our other 4 so that they would all have a connection in their names. We are expecting our 5th...maybe this will be a twin year.

Congrats on your twins!!!
January 20th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My DH's family tree has a set of twins, 2 identical boys, born in the midwest in the 1800s. Their names:

Chester and Lester.

As long as you don't do anything THAT bad, just go with whatever you feel like... I also have a slight weakness for matchy names for identicals. For fraternals, I think whatever your 2 faves are would be better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search