Weird names that no one can pronounce

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are a lot of names on this board that I read, and I think to myself...huh? How do you say that?

You have to think about your kid, someday he or she will go to school, and the name that you think is so cute now, will be nothing but a pain in their ***** year after year as their teachers and fellow students butcher it and mispronounce it. Consider picking a name that the average person knows how to say, to spare your kid that aggravation.

That's all. Good luck everyone!

June 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM
MamaBx3
meh

I have to disagree .

Yes, some names, including my daughter's, people will have problems pronouncing it , but when the child is in kindergarten they will learn to spell their name by memory, not by sounding it out .
Also , they will be used to correcting people because it will happen all the time .. so it won't be in pain in their ***** , it will be an every day thing that they are used to .

JM2C !
June 8th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Eka09M
Every parent is entitled to name their child whatever they would like. Just because you think the name is weird and you can not pronounce it, does not mean that everyone else can't. So if this bothers you so much, I guess all you need to do is make sure your child has a name that everyone can pronounce.... then you won't have that problem and won't have to deal with it!
June 8th, 2006, 08:26 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
There are many names of different nationalities that people have difficulty pronouncing at first as well, does that mean that no one should honor their heritage with a name from their background? It usually only takes telling a person once and then they know how to pronounce it.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Azlynn's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
There are a lot of names on this board that I read, and I think to myself...huh? How do you say that?

You have to think about your kid, someday he or she will go to school, and the name that you think is so cute now, will be nothing but a pain in their ***** year after year as their teachers and fellow students butcher it and mispronounce it. Consider picking a name that the average person knows how to say, to spare your kid that aggravation.

That's all. Good luck everyone![/b]

Sometimes it's difficult for the children when they are young, but they do learn very quickly to correct someone on the spelling or prn. of their names. I had a couple people say they didn't know how to pronounce Riordon when I mentioned it (it's Reard-uhn) and a very Irish name so I don't expect everyone here to be familiar with it, but it's very simple to just tell someone how to say your name properly.

I'm in the middle on this, I like some names that might seem a little out there to some, and there are a few semi trendy names I just love as well. People name their children for all types of reasons, could be a family naming tradition, a name they just love, or it means something personal to them. My 2 older children have very common names (Ryan & Ashley) at the time Ryan was not at all common where I lived, and I'd only heard Ashley a couple times. Ryan may have a common name but he loved hearing the story of why I chose his name (it means little king in Irish/Gaelic) and I chose it for my irish heritage, and because I knew he was going to be King of our house and hearts. Ashley has her own story, her father chose her name the day she was born, and her middle name is after my best friend. Now my tastes are completely different so this child will have a very different name than the other two, and that's my perrogative. Sorry to blab on but it really annoys me when people make such a broad statement just because a name doesn't fit their ideal.

Tolerance goes a long way sometimes, names vary so much depending on heritage, region, age, and just
plain personal preference.
June 8th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I agree, and I really didn't care for the tone of this thread's starting post. The "good luck" tacked on at the end seems sarcastic to me.

EDIT: I may have been hyper-sensitive to criticism when I originally read the post, it doesn't seem as negative to me now.

June 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Quote:

Well my name is Kristina very common don't you think? I constantly have to correct my name Kristina with a K, No not Kristine Kristin A with an A. What about all the kiddos whose names are sooo easy to say but they have at least 3 in the class room?!?!? They have to go by there name and there last initial don't you remember no not Sarah B, Sarah F? Sometimes they even have to use there whole last name. Quite frankly my kiddos have never had any issues with thier name and I don't have to worry about them being the Fourth Mike or Emily in the class.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Hear hear! I was one of about 7 "Chris" names (hmm let me think about grade 5, Crissy, Kristine, Christy, Kristy, Christophers H, P, and M, yep 7) all the girls spelled different all the boys the same with initials. Individuality is a good thing.

June 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People can mis spell and mispronounce anything! My name is Jennifer, easy enough, right? Wrong! It still happened to me. Not to mention I was one of about a million Jennifers....

I also think that "weird" is a relative term. What is weird to me is pretty normal to another....

June 8th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Kristina's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well my name is Kristina very common don't you think? I constantly have to correct my name Kristina with a K, No not Kristine Kristin A with an A. What about all the kiddos whose names are sooo easy to say but they have at least 3 in the class room?!?!? They have to go by there name and there last initial don't you remember no not Sarah B, Sarah F? Sometimes they even have to use there whole last name. Quite frankly my kiddos have never had any issues with thier name and I don't have to worry about them being the Fourth Mike or Emily in the class.
[/b]
I just want to say that for the record...my name is Emily and I've never EVER had another Emily in one of my classes. The names was popular the year I was born and still was #1 in 2005...but I've never been Emily A in any class. Maybe that's just luck, but even if you counted all the Emily's in my grade...there would only be about 2 or 3 others. I just think it's absolutely hilarious when people name their kid's something that they think is so unique and then some other parent had the same idea and they end having two of them in the class. There are two girl's in my school named Allegra. Unusual name...definitely not in the top 1000...but somehow there ended up being 2 in my class. I just thought it was funny that this parent picked a name so that their child wouldn't be "Emily A" and they ended up being Allegra D...while I've always just been Emily.
[/b]
Well I would have to say it was probably luck that you were the only Emily in your class. Esp now that Emily has gotten more and more popular I think that it would be even more rare for there to be only one Emily in the class. When my oldest dd attended kindergarten she had 2 Emily's in her class that is out of 12 kiddos!!!

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 16, Xandria 14, Thayer 13, Alorah 10, Nathalia 9, Malayna 7, Sawyer 5, Ryder 3, Kristiana 1 and edd Jan 24

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a childs name is completely up to the parent. if the parent wants to know their child hoolaboogy then they can. i see alot of names that when i read them, i'm not sure how to pronounce - but i ask. then, i never have to ask again. there are a lot of factors involved, and what one person thinks of as weird, it could be another persons family name, heritage or just something that they've seen and liked.
My name is Leslee. a unique spelling for an old name. my name is constantly being mispelled (Leslie, Lesley) and i am always asked if it is pronounced Les-lee or Lez-lee but i'm used to it, i dont consider it a pain in my #####
i don't think the original poster was being sarcastic - and i don't think her intentions where to hurt any feelings anyhow
June 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Quote:
There are two girl's in my school named Allegra. Unusual name...definitely not in the top 1000...but somehow there ended up being 2 in my class. I just thought it was funny that this parent picked a name so that their child wouldn't be "Emily A" and they ended up being Allegra D...while I've always just been Emily.[/b]
That is funny. My son is in a class of 32 and only one Emily. But they have a Keeley, a Kaylie and a Kylie.
Sometimes a name becomes perceived as more popular than it is as well, just because everybody knows someone with that name. But maybe over a broader age range. I know a bunch of Emily's ranging from newborn to 40. I also know a bunch of Brianna's, but all under 6. Also, with names like Brittany, Hayley, Kaylie, etc that you can spell so many different ways but with the same pronouciation, the poularity lists are misleading since each spelling is counted as a different name, therefore the name as spoken is actually way more popular.
Hmm I think I have drifted off topic

June 9th, 2006, 12:19 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
Well, for some reason not many people are sure to say my name properly (Ellise), maybe it throws them off with the doulble l's but they are in there for a reason (all my names have 2 l's in them). It really doesnt bother me correcting people, it's slightly annoying when I get called like Elsie and Alice but it doesnt take much to correct them. Anyways, I agree with the majority of the other JM members who have posted on this one, it's totaly up to the parents what they name their child, and one day they will most likely thank them for not giving them such a comman name or at least respect the meaning of their name or for whatever reason their name was chosen!!
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search