"son" names -- Only for boys ?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
MamaBx3
I was reading another post that talked about names ending in "son" meaning "son of" .

So what about these names ..

Alyson
Madison
Addison

Do they count ?
June 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I was reading another post that talked about names ending in "son" meaning "son of" .

So what about these names ..

Alyson
Madison
Addison

Do they count ?[/b]
I think the person who posted what you are referring to means that surnames like Johnson, etc., mean things like "son of John".
Obviously, Alyson doesn't mean son of Aly & Madison isn't son of mad, etc etc. so IMO the rule doesn't apply to names like that.
June 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont think it matters, personally. There are no "rules" when it comes to naming your kids. You should name them what you love, no matter what others think. There are no names that everyone is gonna like.

June 15th, 2006, 11:43 AM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
Quote:
I dont think it matters, personally. There are no "rules" when it comes to naming your kids. You should name them what you love, no matter what others think. There are no names that everyone is gonna like.[/b]
June 15th, 2006, 11:55 AM
MamaBx3
Quote:
I dont think it matters, personally. There are no "rules" when it comes to naming your kids. You should name them what you love, no matter what others think. There are no names that everyone is gonna like.[/b]
ITA .
There are no rules when it comes to names !

*BTW, Madison means "Son of Matthew" and Addison means "Son of Adam" . Alyson means "Of Noble Birth"*
June 15th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, my favorite name for a girl is Emerson (spelled that way not with an E or Y) so obviously i love "son" names!
June 15th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Veteran
I've heard (even though it might not be true) that every name that ends in "son", except for Allison, means "son of something". But to be honest, I think most of them do sound better on girls.

</div>
June 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
Quote:
Exaccctlyyyy!!!
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
June 15th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
ITA .
There are no rules when it comes to names !

*BTW, Madison means "Son of Matthew" and Addison means "Son of Adam" . Alyson means "Of Noble Birth"*
[/b]
OK so I admit I did not consult a baby dictionary before posting that. I did think that it would make sense that all of those names did come from some "son of" whatever.

BTW I was not implying that there are rules for naming kids.

I personally don't mind if people name girls Allison, Madison, whatever. What I don't personally care for is like if someone changed the spelling of the name Morrison to Morrisyn to make it seem more feminine.

Some names ending in -son do just sound more like boys names no matter what. (Jackson, Jameson, etc) and that is because they end in -son. Names like Madison were originally boy names but have crossed over to be more familiar to us as girl names. But that doesn't change the fact it does mean "son of Matthew" which implies it shouldn't really be used for a girl, but luckily for us, it is a beautiful name for girls in our culture today.
June 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont like "son" names on girls at all. Personally, I put alot of thought into the meaning behind the name. I think it is pretty important. I remember as a kid looking up my name and finding out what it meant, and I would have been very upset to find out my name meant "son of ____". The son names, with the exeption of Alison, are masculine, and not suited for a little girl. They are also really trendy and will become dated. I just dont see the appeal...there are plenty of beautiful, traditionally girls names out there to choose from!
Also, while I agree that the name you give your child is up to you, other peoples opinons do count for something, because those are the same opinions that your child will have to deal with for the rest of their life...I think its worth looking into before you saddle your child with a name that is percieved badly.
June 15th, 2006, 12:47 PM
MamaBx3
Not everyone has the same Naming Style .

What is not appealing to you , might be very appealing to someone else .
June 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Eka09M
I don't think that any name ending with "son" strictly means "Son of...." That dumb!
June 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Yes, names ending in "son" (except modern "created" ones, for example right now I will create the name Kaelison to illustrate) do originally mean son of someone, and are traditionally surnames. Even Allison (however you want to spell it), an accepted girls name, began as an old Scottish surname meaning son of Ellis.

That said, many surnames and "son" names sound perfectly nice as girls names. I'm sure when the use of Alison as a first name for a girl first became popular there were naysayers who thought it was a silly name, a boys name, a last name - but now it's considered a girl's name, no question. As with names like Madison and Emerson, which are fast becoming accepted as girls names, I'm sure many other "son" names, will follow suit. It's the evolution of names

Remember, Courtney, Beverly, Sharon, Leigh, Shirley, Ainsley oh I could go on and on, all started out as male names and are pretty much exclusively feminine now.

I hope this dosn't come off as argumentative. The etymology of names has always fascinated me, I guess I'm what you'd call a name buff

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
As far as what the name means...my cousin...her name is Madison...her dad isn't named Matthew...and she's not a boy...but she doesn't care at all that her name means "son of Matthew"...because in the scheme of things it doesn't matter.[/b]
I feel the same, about the meaning not really mattering (unless it means something to YOU personally). The meaning for my name in most books is "follower of Christ", and we are not Christian, my mom just liked the sound of it. The meanings of names are interesting to me, but don't figure at all in my personal likes and dislikes.

PS I like Emerson (or Emersen, whatever) too, it's one of my best friend's last names, if I were to name my daughter that, the meaning to me would be a tribute to my friend.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Not everyone has the same Naming Style .

What is not appealing to you , might be very appealing to someone else .[/b]
I agree Britanie! I wasnt trying to offend anyone, I was just putting in my 2 cents...thats just my opinion, I'd never look down on someone for a name they chose, whether I love it or hate it is totally irrelivent unless it's my own child, I just seem to have different tastes than the majority of this board!
June 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM
dansgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Emersen/Emerson is a cute name! actually very adorable as I sit here and think about it! hmmm..may have to ask DH about that one! I like "son" names for both. I think Addison and Maddison could be either boy or girl. I really like the name Jackson for a boy (Jack is soo cute). But I think a little girl named Jacksyn wouldn't be bad at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search