The meaning of a name

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
In a couple of the other threads recently, a name having or not having a meaning has come up. For me personally, the origin or meaning of a name has little or no bearing on whether or not I like a name or would gve it to my child.

How important is a name's meaning to you? Would not liking what the name means influence whether or not you gave it to your child?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 15th, 2006, 03:55 PM
MamaBx3
I made a post about this before , It's not really important to me .
If I like a name, I will use it, regardless of the meaning .

(thanks so much for posting this again ! i know exactly what posts you are referring to!)
June 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I love the name Isabella - if I read that it meant dung beetle I would be disappointed that it didn't have a nicer meaning but I would still love the name itself

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
June 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Veteran
No, it doesn't. I have to like the name. Afterall, I'm gonna be saying it for the rest of my life. And it's not like when you introduce yourself to somebody, you say the meaning of your name.

</div>
June 15th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HA! If I name him Leo Mario, that literally translates to "LION KING!"

But no, meaning doesn't matter so much?

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
June 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
MamaBx3
hehe Leo Ryan also translates to that !

I was just going to say that I always look at the meaning of the name , but I would never change my opinion about a name just because of it's meaning .
June 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
Pretty much the same opinion as others.. I look at the meaning but it doesn't change whether or not I like the name..
June 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Eka09M
I do not take into consideration the meaning of a name when naming my child. If I like the way the name sounds/looks then I will use it... of course out of curiosity I look to see what it means.... but it does not weigh in on my decision.
June 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I usually look up the meaning, but it has no bearing on if I would use it. In fact both of my sons names have off the wall meanings. They are both "place" names. The only meaning that matters is sentimental meaning, kwim?

June 15th, 2006, 11:25 PM
chlodoll
I dont really take it into consideration. I think its neat to look up wat names mean but I doubt it would change my mind!
June 16th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
To me it is, to some degree, but it's not a total deal breaker if I dont like the meaning! The most important thing to me is that the name has a meaning, an orgin, and a history, a signifigant meaning to me, and isnt just some random jumble of letters that sounds cute...Part of the reason I chose the name I did for a girl was that it meant "Gracious gift from God" when the first and middle name were put together, but that doesnt mean I wouldnt have used it if it had meant something else...
June 16th, 2006, 11:02 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
I agree with the majority of the jm members who have posted so far. The meaning doesnt really matter to me but I do look it up just out of curiousity
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
June 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM
welshmommytobe's Avatar Veteran
It doesnt really have a bearing when im choosing the name, but its always nice to know it has a sweet meaning too. Callie Seren means Beautiful Star and i like the fact it has a pretty meaning also.

<div align="center"></div>
June 17th, 2006, 01:57 PM
mom2LyricStoryLegend's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2LyricStoryLegend
The meaning really means nothing to me, I just look at the way it sounds.
June 19th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow i think i am in the minority- our first daughters name-- we'd like annalane- it's family, every other generation of females uses part of it going back about 6 generations to my grandmother annalane, then an anna, an ann lane, and my mom had connie lane, so we'd like to use the full name again 6 generations later
middle name is husband's mom's middle name, but we looked up meanings for all of them
same for the boys, we are specifically naming one of our sons with the middle name of elisha (pronounced ELy-shah) because of our religious beliefs and stories that say that a man prayed for double the blessings of the prophet he followed named elijah, and we'd like our son to have double the blessings of his father. so they mean alot to us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search