Shared middle name for siblings?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I had a very special Grandma Rose who I want to honor by using Rose as my (future) daughters' middle names. I am five weeks pregnant with our first, but we want five children all together and (hypothetically) have thier names chosen. Ideally, I would like two boys and three girls so let's just go with that for my examples:
Marshall Declan
Jasper Dale
Victoria Rose
Olivia Rose
Celestia Rose (but we'd call her Celeste. I just like the idea ofthe girls also sharing similar first names in the fact that they are all four syllables and end in "ia")
My thoughts are that the boys will be sharing the same last name, and if the girls marry, they won't all share the same last name anymore so it's like a bond that I imagine will make them feel closer.
April 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think its fine for all of your girls to have the same middle name, I know a few families where they gave both the daughters the mother's maiden name as a middle name.

April 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a good friend who's parents gave all the girls the same middle name (Ann) and she always despised it. The brothers got individual middle names, but the girls did not. I think that exacerbates it. The boys get something special, the girls all share... not cool.

Most of the sisters ended up taking their last name as their new middle name after marriage, and Ann got jettisoned. My friend doesn't feel a special attachment to the name. Her sisters all considered it basically a place holder, something just filling the slot until they married and got rid of it.

If you were going to do it, I'd at least have the boys share, too. Give any/all boys your maiden name or another family name as a middle name?

It's a little weird to me when people give their sons individual names, but then want their girls to be all matchy. It sometimes seems like boys are boys, but girls are dolls.

April 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Calendula, I think that if you do that, you should give the boys the same middle name too.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

April 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed
I am not a big fan of the idea, but that is because me and my siblings have different last names and I have never heard of sharing the same middle name. I think your idea is great though, and if you want to do that, go with it and do it! Plus you can't ever go wrong with the middle name Rose

April 16th, 2011, 02:35 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I think it is fine. My uncle's three boys share the same middle name, and I have contemplated doing the same for my boys if #2 is a boy. I would only do it if it was to honor someone really special though... that is the only time it really makes sense to me.

April 16th, 2011, 08:10 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We thought of doing this and didn't and now I kind of wish we had.
My mn is Marie so when at long last we FINALLY had a daughter after six boys, we named her Alexandria Marie. My hubby suggested we give any future daughters my mn as well because he thought that it would be something really cool to share between us girls. And Marie is a pretty easy mn in that it fits well with most first names so it isn't like using it would narrow down our fn selections.
Anyway, I didn't want to do that b/c I felt like it took away from my "name opportunities" out there. I didn't ever imagine I'd have four daughters and I had so many girl names I loved, I wanted to make sure I'd be able to use them all and already having a set mn sort of messed that up.
But, now I wish I had...I've even contemplated going and adding Marie in as a second mn to all of them...but I can't b/c the most recent baby girl is named Maria Hailey and we call her Mia. So I can't very well make her name Maria Hailey Marie...LOL! But sometimes I do wish I had listened to DH.

And my mn is Marie b/c my grandmother was Mary (Maria in Italian). So its a nice tribute to her as well. At least two of the girls do have it somewhere in thier name..

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendula View Post
....It's a little weird to me when people give their sons individual names, but then want their girls to be all matchy. It sometimes seems like boys are boys, but girls are dolls.
I have to agree.
What about using Rose for a mn for DD #1, but then going with different flower mns for other daughters? That way they go well together but each girl still has her own name.

Lily
Daisy
Jasmine
Iris
Violet
Ivy
Marigold
Pansy
Poppy
Aster
Tulip
April 19th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks everyone you've given me lots to think about
April 20th, 2011, 08:46 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
A friend of mine did that with her boys, not sure the reasoning but I wish I had thought of that. All my kids have 2 middle names and I would've loved for the boys to have one the same and the girls to have one the same!
BTW I have 2 boys and then 3 girls
April 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM
I don't know...I don't think I would..

Tags
middle , names , siblings , sisters

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search