Too "unique"?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a lurker, popping in with a question.

Hubby and I are pretty set on the name Teagan for our child if they are a girl. But our first child, Nathaniel, has a very old-fashioned name, while Teagan is more unique. I usually don't like unique names (just not my style) but I really love Teagan.

So, do you think it is too "unique"? I don't want my child to get teased later on because I gave her a name no one has really heard of before. Also, have you ever met a Teagan?

Thanks!

May 9th, 2011, 05:55 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
The name isn't new to me, but I've never met someone with that name. I've loved it since I was a kid because of an (old old) Dr. Who character - but I'm a nerd and that's a pretty obscure reference, so even if you're not into sci-fi I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think it's too unique to work as a name, and I actually really like it. While Nathanial is old-fashioned, it's not hugely popular.
May 9th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMomMom View Post
The name isn't new to me, but I've never met someone with that name. I've loved it since I was a kid because of an (old old) Dr. Who character - but I'm a nerd and that's a pretty obscure reference, so even if you're not into sci-fi I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think it's too unique to work as a name, and I actually really like it. While Nathanial is old-fashioned, it's not hugely popular.
I'm a nerd too, but I don't really watch Dr. Who. Hubby loves it though. It was one of the first things he brought up when I suggested the name

The only Teagan I had heard of was from a video game called Dragon Age and he was a guy. But I think the name is so pretty.

(Fun fact: If this child's name ends up being Teagan, I would have inadvertently named both my children after Dragon Age characters lol)

May 9th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Teagan isn't that uncommon, and it has been steadily climbing the charts the last ten years or so. It's common enough for little girls that two versions (Teagan and Tegan) made the SSA list for 2010. When you add in all the Reagan, Keagan, Logan, Morgan and Megan type names, I think the odds of her getting teased for having a 'unique' name are pretty low.

I have known a couple of Teagans. The oldest female one would be 11 or 12 now. My sister is also considering the name for her baby due in early fall. Oddly enough, one of her boys is named Nathaniel.

May 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I love Teagan. Not weird at all

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

May 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
It's #243 on the SSA list, so I wouldn't call it a unique name. I consider it more trendy whereas Nathaniel is more of a classic/traditional name. I don't think she would get teased with that name at all.

I've known some Teagans online, but I have never met one IRL.
May 10th, 2011, 12:44 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
I have met a few Teagan's in my lifetime, but not lately. I don't find it too "unique" compared to Nathaniel, as I haven't met any Nathaniel's in my life

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

May 10th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi I love it! My cousins name is Teagan and she is 2. I agree that it is gaining popularity. And it sounds sweet with Nathaniel!

Thank you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggy!
May 10th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Teagan is cute, I don't think its too unique to go with Nathaniel at all!

May 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks you guys! I'm paranoid about giving my children unique or trendy names because everyone around my home has those kind of names. Though Nathaniel is on the 100 SSA list and I've only met one Nathaniel before.

Thanks!

May 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I have a nephew named Teagan.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
May 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think Teagan is too out there to go with Nathaniel.
Our neighbor's son is Teagan. He is 13.
May 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM
CaseyCase's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't really think it's incredibly unique, either.. there's a little boy down the street with the name. I'd guess he's 5 or 6, or so I like it.

May 14th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Sal
I have a known a few Teagan's over the years; one of the girls in my favourite band is named Tegan. I think it goes well with Nathaniel.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my siggy!
May 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think its too unique. Its becoming quite popular, I've met one IRL and quite a few online.

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

May 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love the name Teagan! I think it goes great with Nathaniel.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search