Names like the one I like

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I really love the name Isla. I just think its beautiful. But I think it would sound funny with our last name: Larson. Kind of like oo-la-la :-) I've just been fixating on the name lately though because I think it is so pretty. So what alternatives would you suggest? I think I really like the long "i" sound. I've toyed with doing a two part name, like Isla Jane or Isla Grace, but I think its kind of unfair to destine my child to always have to use two names to avoid the double sound problem. What do you think? And what suggestions would you throw out to help me move on :-)
Psalm 139:13-14 "For you [God] created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."

May 12th, 2011, 08:31 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm I agree Isla Larson is a little bit rough. If you like the long I what about Ivy? Ivy Larson would sound really nice.

May 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Yeah, Ivy is the only other pretty baby girl name I can think of that starts with that long "I". There's Ida and Iona, but I don't know about those.

Here are some names in the similiar style/feel as Isla:
Ainsley
Brigid
Caroline
Charlotte
Darby
Darcy
Fiona
Lucy
Maisie
Nora(h)
Rory (could use Aurora as a full name)
Tessa
May 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I do like that name. I considered using it as well but as the full name Islannah and call her Isla. I think Islannah Larson sounds better then you can always nn her Isla!
May 13th, 2011, 01:37 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Names with the long I sound (not necessarily in the beginning):
Niobe (Nye-OH-bee)
Ione (eye-OH-nee)
Caroline
Rylie, Miley, Brylee, Kylee, Ailee
Violet
Eileen
Heidi
Diana
Gaea (guy-uh)
Kaiya
Kyra
Lilah (probably shouldn't, with the la ending, but I love it)
Lyra
Adeline
Madeline
Adelheid
Myra
Nina (alternate pronunciation has a long I)
Isis
Iris
Irene
Eliza
Maya
Lorelei
Sky (Skye, Skylar, Skyla)
Eisley
Ireland
Tyra, Tyler, Tye
Viola
Briar

Phew, I think I've exhausted my long I vocabulary.

Oh, came back to add Sariah.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; May 13th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
May 13th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas, ladies. I knew I'd come to the right place. From those mentioned above, I like Adeline, Eliza (as a nn for Elizabeth), and Violet, but none quite as much as Isla. :-( Oh well.

In my searching I also discovered the name Ayelet, which isn't very common. I think it is traditionally pronounce "I yell it" but some pronounce it like the fabric eyelet. I like the second. Sort of a cross between Isla and Juliet. IDK, it is probably too obscure. Thoughts?

May 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
A unique name like Ayelet means that you will have to spell it for people a lot. It will be pronounced wrong a lot, and you'll probably get birthday cards and Christmas present address to "Eyelet."

However, I have the same issues with the name Lauren, and that is a super common name. I don't think it's avoidable, and it's not even on my consideration list. I tend to like Greek names that no one's heard of or can pronounce, like Ariadne, Niobe, Antigone, Persephone (common Green name, but people still it wrong all the time!)..

I wuold say just go for it.
May 14th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I like the idea behind Ayelet, but I do admit I think it would be hard to grow up with that as your name. I think Adeline or Eliza would be a better alternative. But go with your gut!

May 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran
I think Ayelet Larson is nice. It seem like it would be less often mispronounced than Isla.

My favorite is Elizabeth "Eliza" Larson. It has such a pretty flow. I am partial to Elizabeth names though.
May 14th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
Our last name is Larson too! I like the idea of Ayelet. (possible nn could Elle) I think unless you go with a name like Sam or Kim or Sarah there is always going to be the risk of mispronunciation. Our son's name is Ari and it's pronounced incorrectly half the time, oh well. Adelaide (sorta the same feel at Adeline) is a name I really liked to go with Larson. However we cant use it because SIL is named Addie.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
May 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback ladies. I think dh probably won't go for Ayelet. He thinks its a little weird. He likes Adeline. I don't think I've mentioned Elizabeth yet. We've got plenty of time to decide. Don't you just hate how last names sometimes ruin a perfectly good first name choice! And I don't even have it bad, like some folks do. :-)

May 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Isla is darling, but I agree its a mouthful with Larson. However, I strongly prefer it over Ayelet, which is just nms. I agree with a pp who said it will most likely be constantly confused with eyelet, etc.

There was a mom who used to post here regularly with darling children, one of whom was named Aylie (eye-lee). I've also met a little Eiley (same prn.) - I think that sounds a bit better with Larson! Or there is always Ayla. Still a bit of the la-la but perhaps more manageable? I really don't mind the repeating syllables!

A few other ideas:

Imogen
Eloise
Mila
Lila
Helena
Iris
Lydia
Annika
Carys
May 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Are Isla and Ayla not the same name? I've always pronounced them the same.. am I doing it wrong?

I just remembered the name Lydie to add to the Long I list. Oh, and Ileah (eye-LEE-uh), as well as Kyleah.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; May 14th, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
May 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM
OOOOHHH Eiley is SUPER cute L.C. I've never heard that before...I've also seen the nn Addie for Adeline. It's on my list b/c my greatgrandmother's name was Adeline, which it seems everything is on my list LOL
May 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMomMom View Post
Are Isla and Ayla not the same name? I've always pronounced them the same.. am I doing it wrong?
I always thought they were the same as well! Until I was told it was commonly pronounced like kayla without the k.
May 15th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With my accent, Isla Larson sounds fine. But then I said it in an american-ish accent, and I see your point. I like Eiley someone suggested. Adeline is beautiful too, Adeline Larson is a great name

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

May 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Just have to say that I love Eiley! Never heard it but I agree it is so cute!

May 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hannah-Banana's Avatar Laikon's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C. View Post
I always thought they were the same as well! Until I was told it was commonly pronounced like kayla without the k.
That's how it's pronounced in the Earth's Children book series. The heroine's name is Ayla and in the pronunciation in the back she has it written as 'Long A-La'.

Of course around here they don't pronounce Isla as 'Eye-La' they pronounce it as 'Is-la'.

May 16th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
How about Elsa? or Eliana?

May 18th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to rlmccrady
If this baby was to be a girl.. Isla was on our list of names..

We have an Ivy & Lillyann

How about.. Violet, Fiona, Camille, Rose...

I think no matter what name you pick rather it be a common or unique name, people are going to pronounce them wrong or spell it wrong.. I would go with something you feel connected too and are happy with. Sometimes having a unsual name is a good things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search