Name we're considering for our baby girl, long

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have been considering Charlotte Lorraine for quite a while. My husband pointed out tonight that if we did Lorraine Charlotte then the initials would be L.C. Lorraine is his grandmother's middle name and what she went by but her first name was Elsie. So we could name the baby Lorraine Charlotte after Charles and Lorraine but call her Elsie which would be her initials (L.C./Elsie) and still honoring Grandma Lorraine. Charlotte Lorraine would honor Charles and Lorraine and make her initials the same as her daddy (my husband is named Charles after said grandpa). Having her daddy's initials would be special for them. I think her initials being the same as Lorraine's first name would be pretty neat and unique plus I like Elsie. I'm big into family names so I really like how the initials would be Lorraine's first name for that reason also. Being able to name your daughter after one set of grandparent's is also a bit special-you wouldn't be able to do that with any of my sets of grandparents (the name combo wouldn't be very pretty anyway). Charles just happens to have a very pretty feminine form in Charlotte. Our last name is a bit harsh sounding so I think Charlotte does work better as the middle name to soften the whole name. I really do love Charlotte though and have for some time. Charlotte is a beautiful name. When we had talked about Lorraine Charlotte before I wanted to call her Raine (silent e) but my husband vetoed that. I never made the connection with the initials L.C. and Lorraine's first name Elsie. Don't know if my husband had before or he just realized it. There aren't any runner-ups at this point. We keep coming back to Charlotte Lorraine (no nickname!) and now Lorraine Charlotte nn Elsie. Nicknames are not something I consider when choosing names and my first daughter is called by her given name. Generally speaking I don't do nicknames. This is a special case where I do like it because of the connection to Lorraine's full name. Also I don't actually like the name Lorraine very much which is why when we first talked about the name Lorraine I wanted the nn Raine (when I usually veto names because they'd be to easy to shorten by people). Grandma Lorraine was a very special woman to her grandchildren as well as the rest of the family (I never met her, she died when my husband was a teenager) so honoring her would mean a great deal to many, particularly my husband and his parent's. Lorraine Charlotte with the nn Elsie would certainly do it. My mother-in-law would be THRILLED to call her Elsie. My mother-in-law had four boys and miscarried their only baby girl so she never got to name a daughter. It is a pretty combo I feel. Can't go wrong here, how the heck to decide!? Actually the more I type this the more I'm thinking we should name the baby Lorraine Charlotte and call her Elsie. Sorry this is so long!

Last edited by jersey_gray; May 13th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
May 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the initial thing is a really cool bond to have with her Grandma Elsie as well as with her Daddy. Ordinarily I'd say I think that Charlotte Lorraine flows better than Lorraine Charlotte but I think either could work.
That's a tough one to decide. They both meet the criteria of honoring the people you want to honor. Maybe just sleep on them a few nights and see which ones "grabs" you and go with that. You really can't go wrong either way.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
May 14th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Veteran
I think your little girl is going to feel so special with a name that means so much. I agree that you can't go wrong. I personally think Elsie is super cute!

I like the name Charlotte best BUT Lorraine Charlotte "Elsie" gets my vote.
Will you write it out as Elsie or write L.C. and just be said Elsie?

Our Elizabeth Violet was going to be called "Evie" written E.V. but is more often Lizzy.
May 14th, 2011, 07:55 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Stupid JM just ate my post! Argh.

I think that Charlotte Lorraine flows better, but given the significance, I would vote for Lorraine Charlotte. Just throwing some ideas at you though.

Any L name would yield the initials L.C. so if you don't like Lorraine you could use a different name that begins with L, but still be honoring the grandmother.
Lauren, Laura, Lorelei, Laurel, Lorelee, Lorena, Lorraina are all similar and would suggest an honoring of Lorraine, but any L name would do it.

Or you can go with Elsie Charlotte and skip the initials all together. Charlotte Elsie also works.

There's also Chelsea, Kelsey, Elizabeth and Elsa that can yield to Elsie.

Edited for typos.
May 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Lorraine Charlotte nn Elsie, very cool!

May 16th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think both are good choices. Why not take both ideas with you to the hospital and when she is born decide whether she looks more like Lorraine or Charlotte?

May 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjones View Post
I think your little girl is going to feel so special with a name that means so much. I agree that you can't go wrong. I personally think Elsie is super cute!

I like the name Charlotte best BUT Lorraine Charlotte "Elsie" gets my vote.
Will you write it out as Elsie or write L.C. and just be said Elsie?

Our Elizabeth Violet was going to be called "Evie" written E.V. but is more often Lizzy.
I would write it out Elsie. Elizabeth Violet is a very pretty name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyheartsphil View Post
I think both are good choices. Why not take both ideas with you to the hospital and when she is born decide whether she looks more like Lorraine or Charlotte?
Good chance we will this time. We decided on our first daughter's name fairly early but this time it's not working out that way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search