Can 2 cousins have the same name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Do you think that two cousins will be able to have the same name?
For example, one of my cousins just had a little girl named Lillian Rose nicknamed Lilly. Another of my cousins is pregnant with a girl and before she even knew what the other baby's name was, she was really considering the name Lily Rose for her child. She's still unsure about what the middle name should be and she's worried that the name is too similar to her new niece's.

So what do you think? Is it too similar?
May 31st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on how often they see each other. The nice thing if they do see eachother a lot, would be simply to call the Niece by her full name, Lillian, when the other girl is around. If they never see each other than it is even easier.

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
May 31st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I really think it depends on the relationship between the two familes, and how they each feel about it...

May 31st, 2011, 05:46 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
It's not something that *I* would do, but no one owns a name. I'm not sure it should be worth a family dispute or anything. I would say if Lillian's mom doesn't care then it doesn't much matter.

How close the cousins are also makes a huge difference. My cousin has a daughter named Madeline, but I haven't spoken to my cousin since I was a kid. I've never met his kids, and I probably never will, and therefore it wouldn't be a reason for me to not use Madeline.
June 3rd, 2011, 01:39 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
It's so funny that you should bring this topic up, especially with the name Lily/Lillian.

I have had Liliana "Lily Kate" Katherine picked out for a girl since I was pregnant with DS1 and before I knew he was a boy. SIL is pregnant and due in August. She is having a Lillian "Lily" Irene. I don't give a crap! If I were to have another DD, I'd still use the name I've had picked out for 3 1/2 years. My kids do not see her kids that often and I want to be able to call my child on a day-to-day basis exactly what I want to call them and not have it dependent on another child's name who we see just a few times a year.

She's the same SIL that I told I had Leo on the top of my boy list. A week later, she found out she was expecting and a month after that, she had her husband send out an email that they had Leo picked out for a boy. This, after she had been saying for 2+ years that she had two other for-sure boys names picked out. She also knew I was starting TTC, hence the hurry to send out to all the family that she had Leo picked out.

I had also liked the name Theo. Dh and I decided we wanted our twins to have the same first initials as we do (Theo and Jack), so Theo ended up working out better anyways. But, she used Thomas as a mn after her grandpa and we used Thomas as a mn after Dh's great-grandpa (all 3 of our boys are named after Tim's dad, grandpa, and great-grandpa). So, if Dh would have had his way, cousins - both born last year - would have been Leo Thomas and Theo Thomas. However, I wanted Theodore on his birth certificate for a more formal name even though we call him Theo anyways. I'm glad we went with Theodore because I like calling him Mr. Theodoreable. And, Theodore almost sounds like Thee-I-adore (which is so cute) when you say it in everyday conversation.

So, if I had another girl, we would have a Leo, Theo, Lily, and Lily Kate in the family. And, I don't care! But, I think that's more due to my situation.
June 3rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
JJsmommy09's Avatar Ashley
It depends on how close the cousins are IMO!

June 4th, 2011, 05:49 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It depends.

My sister is Joanne Maree and my cousin (my aunt was adopted out and we found her when my cousin was a teen) is called Joanna Maree

June 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If they don't see each other much then it doesn't matter. If they have a closer relationship then she may just want to ask the mom how she would feel about it. Since the new niece's name is Lillian and Lilly is just a nickname then she could call her by her true name instead of her nickname, no confusion then. Lillian and Lily are two different names.
June 6th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Personally, I wouldn't do it. On the other hand, I agree with the others... it depends how much they see each other and how the two families feel about it.

June 6th, 2011, 09:10 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't do it.

If we ever had a boy, I'd love to use Matthew as the middle name since it's DH's first name. But I refuse because DH has a cousin with the middle name Matthew, and DH has a nephew with the middle name Matthew. I just do not want to repeat a name.
June 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would not do it .. but that is me !!!
June 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I probably wouldn't do it. But then all my family is done having babies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search