Delaney (girl)

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm curious how the majority pronounces this name. I was saying DEL-a-knee but saw elsewhere it's da-LAY-knee. Considering it at the moment for baby girl due next month. My maiden name is McLane (pronounced Mac not Mick, Scottish not Irish, the a got dropped coming to the states). I would call her Laney, for my father. His name was Gerald Damian McLane. My husband cannot stand Geraldine even for a middle name so leaves me the last name to work with. My husband's idea is to use McLane for a middle name. I would do that for a boy in a heartbeat (or use it as a first name for a boy) but just really don't like using it as a middle name for a girl. I'm not concerned about having to explain how to say my child's name. Have to do that with my first daughter, knew it was going to happen when we named her but just loved her name. Her name is Karin (Kuh-RIN) Renee, middle name is my sister's middle name.

I would call her Laney. I would put Laney on the birth certificate but my husband is of the "needs a formal name for the birth certificate" set.
June 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I pronounce it Da-LAY-nee, and I think it's cute.

Some similar suggestions:
Lane/Layne/Laine
Malaney (muh-LAY-nee)
Elaine
Elena
Alaina
Trelane
June 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read it as De-LAY-nee as well. I think it is really pretty and Laney works great with it!

June 2nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always pronounced it Duh Lay Nee and I really like it. It was on my list for my second DD.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

June 3rd, 2011, 12:41 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Wow. I've never heard it pronounced DEL-a-knee. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I love the name Delaney and yeah, I think you could use it to honor your dad.
June 3rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I pr. it Da-LAY-nee. I like the name.

June 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaOnCloud9 View Post
Wow. I've never heard it pronounced DEL-a-knee. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I love the name Delaney and yeah, I think you could use it to honor your dad.
Actually I've never heard the name anywhere so not a regional thing, at least not that I know of. That's just the way I read it when I see the name which I've only seen in baby name books, guess it made me think of Melanie. Glad I was wrong about how it's pronounced. I think it might be the name Though pronounced dee at the beginning rather than duh, we both prefer the dee sound.

Sisters Karin Renee (Kuh-RIN) & Delany Mae (dee-LAYN-ee)......I love it, my husband likes it, honors my dad who passed away when I was very young, yes I realize it rhymes a bit, it's the only name that has felt "right"-really liked Charlotte Lorraine which would have honored husband's paternal grandparent's but it never felt like it was "the name". My husband also sweetly thinks we should honor my family since we live close to all of his family while my family is on the opposite coast.
June 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Da-LAY-nee

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search