What makes a name trendy?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremi View Post
Just had to jump in and say that we are also using Eliana if our next child is a girl! Ours will be Eliana Joy. Like you, I was concerned about trendiness. BUT... the name actually moved down a few on the charts this last year, and is still below the top 100 for girls names, pretty consistently. I think people feel like it is trendy because of the -ana and the fact that Ellie/Ella is so popular right now. However, to me this is a classic name since it is biblical. Trendy names in my book don't have solid roots in history, they are the made up names that become popular like Nevaeh. Names with classic roots that shoot up the naming charts are called "popular" instead of "trendy" by me, and I DO see a difference between the two.
Good point.

On our play room there are two Ellianna's an angel and a big sister.

So when I was naming Scarlett I was shopping Peyton and had I picked that she would have been the fifth Peyton in that DDC. I haven't met one in person yet! So a lot of popular and trendy depend on where you are and who you hang out with too.

June 13th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremi View Post
Just had to jump in and say that we are also using Eliana if our next child is a girl! Ours will be Eliana Joy. Like you, I was concerned about trendiness. BUT... the name actually moved down a few on the charts this last year, and is still below the top 100 for girls names, pretty consistently. I think people feel like it is trendy because of the -ana and the fact that Ellie/Ella is so popular right now. However, to me this is a classic name since it is biblical. Trendy names in my book don't have solid roots in history, they are the made up names that become popular like Nevaeh. Names with classic roots that shoot up the naming charts are called "popular" instead of "trendy" by me, and I DO see a difference between the two.
^^^I agree that's why I want to use the Eliana spelling but DH thinks El is EEE-lee-ah-nah and Ell is EL-ee-ah-nah not sure what grammar class he took but that's his logic when he says spell it like it sounds? IDK I know I'll have the final say as baby head is coming out of ME!!!!! I love Joy...I considered it b/c it's a family name but I decided to hit her with the Fru!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Good point.

On our play room there are two Ellianna's an angel and a big sister.

So when I was naming Scarlett I was shopping Peyton and had I picked that she would have been the fifth Peyton in that DDC. I haven't met one in person yet! So a lot of popular and trendy depend on where you are and who you hang out with too.
I agree too...a lot of the groups on JM have a certain population of people you don't run into every day at home or at least you don't talk to them about it. Not in a bad way but for example you're more likely to run into mommies talking about complications or losses on an online DDC forum or you're more likely to run into mommie's using more unique names on a baby naming forum so they may see trends before your friends IRL don't! There were a few girls in my May DDC thinking Peyton as well but IRL I haven't heard it!
June 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My ex-step sister named her Daughter Elliana.
I think it's a really pretty name. Oh and I like it with 1 L and the middle name with a PH.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

June 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
To me, trendy = a name that has a large jump in popularity.

In my opinion, there are good trends and bad trends - and that is up for personal interpretation. Just like hair styles and clothing fashion - there are some I like, and some I think are awful. I like trendy names such as Sophia, Ella and Emma - but I wouldn't use them because I don't want my child to be one of many with the same name. I despise trendy names like Jayden/Brayden/Caden and the trend of purposely mis-spelling names to make them more unique. They are kind of like the BIG hair of the 80s....it's hard to imagine them ever coming back in style. Years down the road I suspect you might hear - "what were they thinking naming their child that??"

Eliana is a bit trendy. It's a spin-off of Ella/Emma trend as well as 'ana' ending trend. I don't think it falls into the BAD trend category though. I like Eliana and your combo of Eliana Seraphina. There is no doubt it will rise in popularity though in years to come.

Last edited by mlbsnb; June 13th, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
June 14th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Okay so I keep seeing people mention the Ella and Ana trend. I get the Ella trend but what's the Ana trend? I can't think of any name right now that I've been hearing that ends in Ana? Can someone give me some examples so I don't obsess over this now
June 14th, 2011, 07:04 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
From the SSA list:

Ariana (83)
Liliana (124)
Adriana (129)
Juliana (145)
Eliana (169)
Alana (170)
Briana (183)
Ana (199)
Mariana (261)
Tiana (334)
Tatiana (362)
Anastasia (365)
Dayana (479)
Viviana (485)
Liana (526)

I'm gonna stop now. It's definitely a trend, but I happen to like it.
June 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Holy crap! Thanks! I have met an Ariana but that's about it! I like Liliana and Viviana! Now that you mention it Avianna was on my list :0
June 14th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Eliana is a great name. If you love it, I'd use it. It's very feminine and I can't see it every really going out of style.
June 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM
^^^Thanks DH agreed with one L today and we're pretty sure we're going with the F in Serafina...so Eliana Serafina it is
June 14th, 2011, 10:28 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Nlove View Post
^^^Thanks DH agreed with one L today and we're pretty sure we're going with the F in Serafina...so Eliana Serafina it is
Congrats!! Love, love, LOVE Eliana. Funny you liked Liliana too, because that is #2 on our girl list I for one LOVE the -ana trend, because Anna is one of my favorite biblical characters/names, and yet I wanted a longer name than that if we ever have a girl.

June 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Nlove View Post
I am glad you two came to an agreement !! Eliana Serafina is stunning !!
June 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys! I was getting so frustrated not finding a fn and mn I LOVED...but we love this combo! I was just reading an article on baby names of the future and Eliana was on it and I cringed
Names of the Future – Baby Name Blog - Nameberry
June 16th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Eliana will be popular because it is beautiful and has wide appeal. You have great tastes.

July 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Super Mommy
I think trendy is a name that will only be around for a while, for example, Candy, Apple, Coco, Rocco, etc. Anything classic like Ava, Olivia, Ella, etc. will be around forever. Those are not trendy, they may be popular at times, but will never be trendy. Elianna is beautiful! I think it's very classic.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search