What makes a name trendy?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Is it just a jump from the previous year or being in the top 100 or top 10? I'm really stuck on the name Eliana/Elliana but I posted it in here a while back and got some responses about it becoming trendy and popular. So I've been doing some research on other blogs and see that other people are saying it is becoming trendy! But I've only heard of it on name blogs! I have honestly never heard the name and thought I kinda made it up Is it b/c the Ella's, Ellie's are so popular? I've seen this with other names on name blogs too. IDK if people that frequent name blogs are just really into unique names and so some names are too mainstream or if there really are communitites full of little Eliana's but I'm just not in one of them! I guess I don't have school aged kids yet either b/c just looking at top 10 names I really don't know too many of them either. I love Ava but I hear on all the name blogs it's the "next Jennifer" I've never met a little Ava So just wondering what you girls consider constitutes a trendy name. I know names like Sophia, Lily, Ava, Kate, Emily, Natalie, Olivia etc... are really popular right now but they seem so classic to me?
June 10th, 2011, 05:28 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
To me "trendy" names are names that are popular right now because of a celebrity or a well-known book, such as Miley or Cullen. Names that will fall off the charts relatively quickly and probably won't come back again.

That said, there's nothing wrong with using a trendy name. Also, there is no "the next Jennifer" IMO. I posted a thread about popularity with math and numbers a while back. We really aren't using names with the same frequency that they were used in our generation or the one before.

I think Eliana is a lovely name, and I don't see it as trendy at all. I think a lot of people are liking the name Ella right now, and are looking for alternatives to the norm, but it's still a classic name to me.
June 10th, 2011, 07:20 AM
^^^ I see what you mean. I really loved the name Seraphina...and I would get responses like "Oh like Jennifer Garner's kid"....dang her for stealing my name before I got a girl
June 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I see Eliana I see two trends, Elle names and -ana names. People seem to be loving those right now.
Would this keep me from using a name I loved? No. In fact, in 2005 when I had my third dc, various -lyn names were popping up EVERYWHERE. Did that stop me? Nope, I named her Emmalyn.

ETA: I also had Miliana on my list for my last and would have used it in a heartbeat if she had looked like what I pictured for a Miliana. I consider it trendy as well, even though I never see it getting very popular itself.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

Last edited by Momtothe6thpower; June 10th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
June 10th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know a two year old Elliana and a newborn Eliana. Does seem to be a popular name but it doesn't have a "trendy" feel to me.
June 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Super Mommy
I love that name! It is actually biblical so it is a classic. But not only are Ella and Elle common right now but so are combining names fore ppl like us who cannot decide on one name lol.

I coach cheerleading ages 10 & under and I can tell you Sophia, Lily, Ava, Kate, Emily, Natalie, Olivia have all been on my team in the past few years except Kate is Katelyn.

June 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I think were going to go with Eliana Seraphina! I know it's a bit much but our last name has 4 syllables as well and starts with S. I really love the meaning and I doubt it will actually break to top 10 but you never know!
June 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what makes a name trendy, but I do have to say I haven't met an Eliana yet, and I know lots of kids/babies!
June 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Now onto spelling!
Eliana Seraphina
Eliana Serafina
Elliana Seraphina
Elliana Serafina

My husband prefers double L and ph...I feel like the single L and F are more of the Italian variations and her last name is VERY Italian!
June 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
tiffany&co.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with you...one 'l' and the 'f'.

June 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Veteran
I love love LOVE Eliana Serafina !!
I am partial to Serafina hence my daughter's name Alia Serafina
June 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Elliana Seraphina gets my vote by a long shot
June 12th, 2011, 12:53 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
Eliana Seraphina. That way, you have one of each of your preferences

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

June 12th, 2011, 04:16 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGamer View Post
Eliana Seraphina. That way, you have one of each of your preferences
This is what I was thinking, too.
June 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Eliana Serafina here too, beautiful name!

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

June 12th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks for voting...I really need the help! On the one hand I want to stay with the classic traditional spelling but DH say's "We don't live in Italy, we live in America so spell it how it sounds!!!" Then I keep thinking how mad I would be at my mom if she spelled Jennifer like Jeniffer or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy.to.princess.alia View Post
I love love LOVE Eliana Serafina !!
I am partial to Serafina hence my daughter's name Alia Serafina
I REALLY love Serafina and was going to use it as a first but got such mixed reviews...and by mixed I mean not good DH and I both LOVE it. My mom thought it was a joke at first but since has come around and loves it too. A friend of mine actually had Coke fly out of her nose and she said Ewww when I said I was using it as a first...But that's not what stopped me as using it as a first, the nickname thing did. The only nn I like out of it is Fia, and that's a stretch. I just really love the meaning behind Eliana and I love the Ellie nn for when she's young, Elle or Eliana for when she's older I'm just getting reports from friends like they ran into an Eliana at the playground, or there's 5 Eliana's at church etc...I haven't personally met one but like I said I don't go very many places where there a school aged kids!
June 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Nlove View Post
Thanks for voting...I really need the help! On the one hand I want to stay with the classic traditional spelling but DH say's "We don't live in Italy, we live in America so spell it how it sounds!!!" Then I keep thinking how mad I would be at my mom if she spelled Jennifer like Jeniffer or something

I REALLY love Serafina and was going to use it as a first but got such mixed reviews...and by mixed I mean not good DH and I both LOVE it. My mom thought it was a joke at first but since has come around and loves it too. A friend of mine actually had Coke fly out of her nose and she said Ewww when I said I was using it as a first...But that's not what stopped me as using it as a first, the nickname thing did. The only nn I like out of it is Fia, and that's a stretch. I just really love the meaning behind Eliana and I love the Ellie nn for when she's young, Elle or Eliana for when she's older I'm just getting reports from friends like they ran into an Eliana at the playground, or there's 5 Eliana's at church etc...I haven't personally met one but like I said I don't go very many places where there a school aged kids!
I understand your situation completely my DH is Lebanese and all we ever heard from his side was that they know so many Alia's.. I have never met one personally.. And even if I did unless there was a terrible association I would have used it any way !! DH wasn't sold on Serafina or the spelling for that matter, But I love the meaning of it and it also has a personal meaning to me I couldn't imagine having Alia being called by any other name !! She gets called Alia Serafina ALOT !!

Just go with your heart and you won't regret it !! GOOD LUCK !!
June 13th, 2011, 12:57 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Just had to jump in and say that we are also using Eliana if our next child is a girl! Ours will be Eliana Joy. Like you, I was concerned about trendiness. BUT... the name actually moved down a few on the charts this last year, and is still below the top 100 for girls names, pretty consistently. I think people feel like it is trendy because of the -ana and the fact that Ellie/Ella is so popular right now. However, to me this is a classic name since it is biblical. Trendy names in my book don't have solid roots in history, they are the made up names that become popular like Nevaeh. Names with classic roots that shoot up the naming charts are called "popular" instead of "trendy" by me, and I DO see a difference between the two.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search