thought we were settled, but....

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Choose your favorite.
Beau Prescott 13 61.90%
James Earl 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Today DH and I started discussing names again. I'm due in three weeks, and we had been 100% settled on Beau Prescott up until now. However, almost everyone we mention this name to seems to (a) not realize that Beau is actually a name, and (b) be confused about how to spell it. I don't want our son to have to deal with constant misspellings his entire life, so I'm having some misgivings. Also, we've always called our older son "Boo" for a nickname, so I'm starting to worry that there will be some confusion there.

I talked to DH about it, and he said that the ONLY other name he will consider at this point is James Earl. (Long story -- basically, I think DH is just sick of talking about names).

So, which would you go with? Beau Prescott or James Earl? (Our older son is Charles Robert and goes by Charlie).

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I like James Earl but I think that's just because I love the name James in general.

However, if you really love Beau, I would use it.
June 27th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I prefer James

June 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I chose Beau Prescott because I like the name Beau, and James Earl immediately makes me think of James Earl Jones.

Although Charles and James are great together!
June 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I like James Prescott. =)
June 28th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjl View Post
I chose Beau Prescott because I like the name Beau, and James Earl immediately makes me think of James Earl Jones.

Although Charles and James are great together!

I thought the same thing. I do prefer James to Beau. I like James Prescott a lot!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
June 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I prefer Beau but I think Charles & James sounds better.

I like James Prescott.

June 28th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMomMom View Post
It's a no-go with hubby. Long story, has to do with family names. I've been pushing for Roger Prescott this whole time, but the only way DH will consent to any middle name other than Earl is if the first name is Beau.

Personally, I don't mind the James Earl Jones reference, because he was awesome. I'm more worried about the James Earl Ray reference -- not so awesome.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
June 28th, 2011, 10:57 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
What about Roger Earl?

June 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
Today DH and I started discussing names again. I'm due in three weeks, and we had been 100% settled on Beau Prescott up until now. However, almost everyone we mention this name to seems to (a) not realize that Beau is actually a name, and (b) be confused about how to spell it. I don't want our son to have to deal with constant misspellings his entire life, so I'm having some misgivings. Also, we've always called our older son "Boo" for a nickname, so I'm starting to worry that there will be some confusion there.

I talked to DH about it, and he said that the ONLY other name he will consider at this point is James Earl. (Long story -- basically, I think DH is just sick of talking about names).

So, which would you go with? Beau Prescott or James Earl? (Our older son is Charles Robert and goes by Charlie).
Beau is spelled the same way that Beauty starts. The other way is Bo it is just like chosing names with two common spellings Like Catherine/Katherine.

We named our son Beau nine months ago and haven't had any issues. It is also on a list of up and coming names so we should see more of it.

BTW I love the name James esoecially with Charlie.
June 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I prefer James Earl then. I don't care for Beau, though there's nothing wrong with it. It's just not my style.

For the record, you're the one pushing out the baby so you should get final naming rights.
July 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Lelah's Avatar Regular
We used to live near a little boy named Beau and it was the first time I heard it. Incidentally a friend of mine has a dog named Bo. The Boo/Beau thing would kinda drive me nuts, but if you like the name enough it's worth the potential mix-up. I'm not really a fan of Prescott, and as for James Earl I hope your last name isn't Jones. That being said, I would change Prescott to Preston and go with James Preston.
Landry Paige 12.19.12

RIP Alexis Julia
You are missed
July 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
I prefer James Earl then. I don't care for Beau, though there's nothing wrong with it. It's just not my style.

For the record, you're the one pushing out the baby so you should get final naming rights.

Dh and I agreed 90% with our first 2 children's names. But, he got his way. So, when #3 came along, and it came down to Theodore or just Theo, I pushed for my way. I'm so glad I did. I still have regrets of not pushing more for what I wanted with DD's name, but I don't think Dh would care nowadays if I had gotten my way with her name. If that makes sense? Men do not typically care about names - especially middle names - as we women tend to. Who's going through the internet searchs? The baby name books? Making baby name polls? Some men say it really matters to them, but they don't put in 1/100th of the time that we do on the task.

So, James Prescott is my favorite. But, if your Dh won't budge, James Earl will do.
July 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like Beau Prescott! I have always liked Beau. My DH vetoed it right from the start otherwise it would have been on my list. As for the NN issue... you are going to come up with some other NN for Beau and probably won't have a conflict between Boo and Beau.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
July 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Quote:
I much prefer James over Beau and Prescott over Earl.
July 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
Oh I replied before reading why James Prescott was a no go. In that case I vote James Earl since the first name is more important since James and Earl are both short, what about a double middle?

James Earl Prescott
James Prescott Earl
James Prescott Beau
James Beau Prescott
James Roger Earl
James Roger Beau
James Beau Roger
James Earl Roger
July 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Super Mommy
I love James with Charlie! So cute!
For the middle name, I like what Joni said, James Earl Prescott sounds nice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search