Twins

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 01:33 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
If you had twins, would you give them matchy names? Do you like matchy names? How close is too close?

Here are the top 50 sets of twins in 2010. Some of them make me want to mail a name change form to their children already (that's pretty judgmental, but some of the sets are really bad ). Your thoughts on these?

Popular names for twins born in 2010
June 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I would give my twins the same names I would give them if they were separate pregnancies.

I think some popular twin name sets are pretty terrible. I don't like matchy at all.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

June 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm also not a fan of matchy twin names, especially ones that rhyme, like Gabriella and Isabella.

Heaven and Nevaeh
London and Paris
Jada and Jade
Taylor and Tyler
Jayden and Jaylen

Doesn't it make things difficult when the names are only one letter apart?
June 30th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I don't like matchy names for twins at all!

June 30th, 2011, 06:14 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol, I was just thinking about this topic last night! I have decided that matchy names are not going to happen because really, when I think about a lifetime, my twins won't be together as much as they will be apart. I've known many matchy names (even some as bad as Ed and Ned...yes, seriously) and don't think I want to go that route.

I did get one kind of neat suggestion for Isaac and Caasi (Isaac spelled backward). I love the name name Cassie but not spelled Caasi yet thought that was kind of cute.

My dh gave his suggestion last night for it we have two boys: Frog and Toad (can you guess which book he read to our girls before bedtime??). Thank goodness dh has absolutely no say when it comes to naming our dc.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
June 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
It doesn't bother me if they start with the same letter, as long as they're not too matchy. My mam and my Aunt are twins - Mary Ellen and Mary Rose. My four elder sisters each of them are twins. Their names are Aileen and Enya, Brianna and Francis but their first names are all Mary ______. I was the first child named with without "Mary" as my first name, but my middle name is Rosemary after my Gran lol.

If I had twin girls I think I would just use the names in the order that I already like which is Mary Theresa (nn: Tess) and Rosemary Kathleen (nn: Rose). For twin boys I like either John Donald and Michael James or Michael James and Sean Connor. For boy/girl twins I like Michael James and Mary Theresa (which is kind of matchy but I just like it).

Anyways I don't like names that sound too much alike. My eldest brother's name was John after my Grandda but my given name is Johnna, after my parents best friend who passed away. Consequently I've been referred to as my nickname Nana, for my entire life because John and Johnna are just too confusing together (sound to similar when they're being said aloud).

I wanted to add, that I used to babysit twins named Taylor and Tyler...sooooo confusing
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
June 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I have twin friends with the names Karla and Kayla. I HATE IT! To top it off, we hang out with their mom a lot too and her name is Candy. All hard K's.

No, I would not name my twins matchy names. I'm okay with the same first initial as long as the names are different enough. And, I like names within the same style (but I do for the whole sibset, not just twins). And, definitely no rhyming (except for -en names which can be so different with the stress on the first syllable, so for example Harrison and Owen are okay.)
July 1st, 2011, 05:30 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I wouldn't use matchy names.

It's funny you posted this. I was talking to my mom yesterday and a friend of hers that fosters has a set of twins right now. 2 little girls, Heaven & Nevaeh. All I thought was, ugh! horrible!

Also, I have twin sisters. Their names are Marielle & Elise.

July 1st, 2011, 05:56 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't object to matching for syllables, but the masculine/feminine counterparts really bug me.
Brian and Brianna
Michael and Michelle
I feel like the masculine/feminine forms of a name are the same name, and that all derivities are the same name as well. Like, since I already used Alexandria, I won't use Alexander or Alexis or Alexa, etc.

I would probably give twins sort of matchy names - like both Greek or both nature or something along those lines. But I would only use the first letter if I happened to love both names. Like my Luke and Lauren weren't supposed to match, it just happened.
July 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No! I most definitely would not use "matching" names. I might use same first letter names, only IF I was in love with the names.

I knew twins named Paul and Paula. It was horrible!
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

July 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hannah-Banana's Avatar Laikon's Mommy
Well I think the only way I'd use matchy-matchy names would be for b/g twins. Girls would be Tesla & Nova, boys would be Hartel & Leo, and b/g would be Tesla & Tanner.

FYI: Heaven and Nevaeh made me want to gag. lol.

July 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Of the list I liked more of the boy/boy names. I like the names that go together but don't match like David and Danie or Elizabeth and Victoria. What bothers me are the wildly divergent names like Elizabeth and Quinn for girls. (lol btw tose are my older daughter's names)l

July 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would just use two names that I really liked. I wouldn't match them intentionally.
July 2nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can't really say much cause my kids, who are not multiples do match.
Haylee and Hayden
Marisa and Marienah
Oh well, I liked the names and that's all I care about. On the other hand my cousins, who are Irish twins, are Chelsi and Kelsi. My aunt kind of regrets it.
Heaven and Nevaeh made me want to puke in my mouth.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

« ignore | Baby Names | rnotd »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search