Choosing a name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2011, 06:07 AM
Super Mommy
What do you ladies think of boy names on girls? When expecting DD I wanted to name her Joey Anne. DH is Joe. I thought it was so cute and when she grew up if she wanted a more professional or adult name she could go by JoAnne. WDYT?

Also do you think of professionalism (for the baby's future) when choosing a baby name? I used to but the more I think of it, I think that names are so out there and random anymore that when our kids grow up it won't matter so much. WDYT?

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
July 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm personally not a fan of most boy names on girls, I lean towards longer feminine names. And yes, I DO think about professionalism down the road. I like names that can be formal, but also have nn potential for girls, and names that generally would not get shortened for boys.

July 2nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I love boy names girls, except then when you have a boy it narrows down the boy names availble that are not covered in girl germs. It is hard for a boy to be the third Rowan in class but if the other Rowan's are girls then that is going to be extra hard.

About Joey, it is cute. Is there anything wrong with naming her Josephine? Then you can call her Joey, Joey Ann, or JoAnn.

July 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I think about professionalism and the future regarding naming children. I'm not a fan of boy names on girls, like doremi I lean towards longer & more effeminate names but there are several that have truly become unisex.

Quinn
Reagan
Skylar
Rowan
Peyton
Riley
Sidney
Reese
Addison
Emerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Is there anything wrong with naming her Josephine? Then you can call her Joey, Joey Ann, or JoAnn.
That's a good idea!
July 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I, too, was going to suggest using Josephine Anne and calling her Joey. Josephine Anne is a wonderful name!

And Josephine would be more professional than Joey, if you are concerned about that.
July 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Your DD is Maggie Jo, right? I wouldn't use Jo a second time, but that's just me.

I like the idea of Josephine, because while Joey can be cute on a girl, it's a nick name, and I'm just not a fan of nick names used as given names. I don't have any issues with a boyish nick name on a girl at all. Charlotte shortened to Charlie, Alexandra shortened to Alex - all gravy.
July 3rd, 2011, 12:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Joey Anne is awful. I don't understand why people want to give their girls boys names. Joey is not unisex by any stretch of the imagination. Makes a person think that they really didn't want a daughter but a son. If you have to call the poor poor girl Joey, go with Josephine. Your asking for opinions, this is mine.

I do not take professionalism into account when naming my children. Their success or lack of will not depend on what they are named.
July 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I definitely take professionalism into account when picking out names. I personally would use a professional name as the full name, instead of making the professional name the nickname. I love the suggestion of Josephine.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

July 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
MauMama's Avatar formerly La_Sirena
I have a SIL that does a lot of interviews and hiring and she is very picky about first names on prospective applicants. This person is going to be representing them to the world and a name that is more 'unique' is not acceptable.

Josephine and Joey take me back to Dawson's Creek and I love it. Just beautiful!

Jen + Matt
Parents to Sophie, the Wondergirl
Asperger's Syndrome
Joint Hypermobility
GERD & Constipation
Anxiety

Angels Autum & Isla (2007)
+ 7 others (2002 - 2011)

Mama with arthritis & connective tissue disorder called TRaPS
I've been charting since Jan 16, 2001 and TTA since April 2007.
July 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Lelah's Avatar Regular
I didn't give professionalism much thought when naming my children, but I've noticed I'm giving it more thought this time around. I don't think by the time our children are in their thirties though there will be a lot of Margaret's and Diane's around, so by then I'm sure Raychell and Brittney will be considered professional.
Landry Paige 12.19.12

RIP Alexis Julia
You are missed
July 4th, 2011, 08:27 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
It's a good point that "professional" names may be changing, but I still like the POTUS test. Would YOU have respect for a president named "Joey Anne Lastname"? If not, then you shouldn't use it as a name.

If you don't like Josephine, there are a lot of other Jo names that can be shortened to Jo or Joey:

Johanna
Joy Anna
Josephina
Joanna
Joanne
Joan / Joanie
Jocelyn
Jody / Jodi / Jodie
Jolene
Jolie
Jordan
Jovana