Pronunciation?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
How would you pronounce Madeleine if you saw it written on paper?
July 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
To me:

Madeleine = Mad-uh-lane

Madeline = Mad-uh-line

Madelyn / Madalyn / etc = Mad-uh-lin
July 3rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Argh, that's what I thought. The name is either going to be Madelynne or Madeleine, but pronounced Mad-uh-lyn. It's my Great-Gran's first name and my Gran's middle name, I think it goes back a bit further than that but I'm not entirely sure. Anyways it's been pronounced Mad-uh-lyn but spelled Madeleine. I do like the spelling Madeleine with the pronunciation as it has been. Complicated...

But the thing is I have a first full name that is ALWAYS mispronounced (Johnna - pretty simple like the man's name John but with an A on the end) and it drives me crazy, which is one of the reasons why I have a nickname (Nana). I guess we'll have to see.
July 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
You could use it as a middle name, and then it won't matter.

I know a lot of people say them all as "Mad-uh-lyn" but there would definitely be some mispronunciation along the line.

How do people mispronounce Johnna?
July 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Quote:
You could use it as a middle name, and then it won't matter.
That's true I could, DH really likes it though, I guess with the more traditional spelling. And he's not huge on baby names so when he gets into something I try to use it. Like his family name is middle-name Donald and Thomas, maybe not my first choices but if he loves it, I'll try and incorporate, as long as it's not crazy. But I'll think about it for a bit.

Quote:
I know a lot of people say them all as "Mad-uh-lyn" but there would definitely be some mispronunciation along the line.
That's what I figured. For my Gran, who was Irish, I guess it was a pretty unique name because everyone always called her Mad-uh-leen and she would correct them. But her name was Rosemary Madeleine, everybody called her Mad Rose from a young age, she was pretty eccentric

Quote:
How do people mispronounce Johnna?
Man, I've had like one or two people EVER say my name right the first time. Usually I got Johanna, Joana...I'm serious when I say I've had teachers look around blankly and say, "Juanita", as if it looks ANYTHING like that. I guess I was just supposed to guess that was me. I gave up correcting after a while and just answered when they called out some gibberish J-name. I was just as confused as they were I was named for my Grandda and my Dad's best friend who passed away. They wanted something to honour him as his name was John. But I already had a big brother named John XVIII so I became Johnna, quickly nicknamed Nana by my little brother. I used to hate it because nobody could say it right but now it's alright it kinda grew on me.

Last edited by Aillidh; July 3rd, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
July 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would pronounce it Mad-uh-lyn
And I also pronounced your name right, but then again I have a cousin with the same name.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

July 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I would say Mad-uh-LINE.

July 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I say Mad-uh-leen for this spelling.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

July 3rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillidh View Post
.....But the thing is I have a first full name that is ALWAYS mispronounced (Johnna - pretty simple like the man's name John but with an A on the end) and it drives me crazy, which is one of the reasons why I have a nickname (Nana). I guess we'll have to see.
It's so funny that you should say that because I get the same thing with Janna. People think it is so hard to pronounce correctly! I've been called Johnna 3-4 times in my life.

I've also gotten: Gina, Jenna (a lot), Joanna, Johanna, and most often - Jayna (which I hate).

So, I am like you in that I want very obvious, easily pronounceable names for my children.

With that being said, I would pronounce Madeleine as MAD-UH-LINE. To get it pronounced Madelyn correctly most of the time (because you're still going to get people who pronounce that spelling as MAD-UH-LINE too), I'd go with the Madelyn spelling even though I like the Madeline and Madeleine spellings better. Or, yeah, go with the mn Madeleine.
July 4th, 2011, 02:58 AM
elleword's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to elleword

Thanks Babydoll213 for my wonderfully festive siggie!
July 4th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would pronounce it Mad-uh-lyn

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

July 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Lelah's Avatar Regular
I would pronounce them all Mad-a-lin, but that's because I'm so American
Landry Paige 12.19.12

RIP Alexis Julia
You are missed