Family Names vs Names you like

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Which middle name would you use?
A name special to everyone in the family (with no family pressure either way) 4 23.53%
A name special to the parents but no one else. 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
DH and I were talking about this the other day. We've had family middle names picked out for a while which fit into a tradition on his paternal side of the family. My family has no traditions with middle names, but does have some names loosely passed down. His tradition is having two middle names, both family names. We have some names we both like and find special picked out as middles, but we've tossing around using some names that are special to us that aren't family names instead. DH doesn't mind either way as he doesn't think his brothers will carry on the tradition at all, nor does he think his father would care if we don't. Now the other middles names we have picked out would be related to thinks that we find very special to us as a couple that other people wouldn't appreciate as much as us and some might consider to be a bit out there.

I'm not really torn, as it will really depend on how I'm feeling when I'm pregnant and how funky I'm feeling when the baby comes what we'll do, and I don't mind having different middle name options. I'm just curious what others would do in our situation

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

July 18th, 2011, 11:33 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I think you should go with the names you two decide on. We picked out middle names that we liked and that we thought sounded good with their first names.

July 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I would continue a tradition if it was important to my husband, but not just if it was important to his family. My husband's middle name is Donald. His father is Donald, and his grandfather is Donald. His mom wanted us to name our son Donald, at least as a middle name. Obviously this didn't happen. We didn't like the name, and DH didn't care. If DH had cared, and really wanted it, then DS would be Luke Donald. Instead we chose to pass down the tradition of naming the first boy after his father, and went with Luke Andrew.

I think what the parents want trumps anything else, honestly. The grandparents had their chance to name children, and their turn is over.
July 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Go with what is special for you and DH.
My DD has two middle names Kathleen-Iris
Kathleen after DH grandmother and Iris is special to DH and I.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

July 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'd go with names that are special to you & DH....

The names I chose are all special to *me*, it just so happens that one name for each girl is the middle name of a family member... but they're by no means 'family tradition'

July 19th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have used family names as middle names, but I think the parents liking the name is the most important thing. I wouldn't use a family name I hated, the name I mean, not the family member lol

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

July 23rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Super Mommy
DB and I have talked about this and we are using family names, but ones that matter to us. It's our child, and we should love the name.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search