Pole dancer or not?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my sil just had her second baby, another girl. Her first dd's name is Aspen which is cute and we knew they were sticking with the tree theme so we were waiting to hear something like Willow or Cedar...the baby's name is Magnolia. Now, all I picture is a pole dancer...is that terrible??? WDYT of that name? I honestly can't see me actually saying this name out loud to this dc without cringing.

My apologies to anyone who has named their dd this name. If someone can offer me a better image or something to replace what I have in my head it would be very much appreciated.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.

Last edited by ♥womanintheshoe♥; July 19th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
July 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
It sounds more Southern to me. Now if she named her Sparkles or Trixie, I would think of stripper.

I think it's a pretty name.

July 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
See I think of anything that is a city/state/place as more pole dancing! I know city names are popular but that's where my mind goes with them!
July 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think of Steel Magnolias. maybe you can call her Maggie? although that's awfully close to your Megan.

July 19th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
I think of Steel Magnolias. maybe you can call her Maggie? although that's awfully close to your Megan.
I think of Steel Magnolias as well. Or the word "magnesia". Thankfully we rarely see them and I can just say "sweetie" or something I suppose.

I wish I knew what bugged me so much about this name...it's not like some of the truly out there names so what is it?!

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
July 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I once met a girl (actually, she hit me with her car) and her name was Tiina Treasure. Given name. Given to her by her parents. Now THAT name strikes me as stripper worthy. Oh, and I didn't add an i.

Magnolia seems very Southern, but not so much pole dancer. I think Steel Magnolias, and Julia Roberts - pretty, classy, determined.

You could call her Maggie.
Or.. I saw a version of Heidi the other day and the girl who played Heidi was Noley Thornton. Noley is cute (was gonna start a thread about it).

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; July 19th, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
July 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM
LOL!! I called my dh to tell him the news and first he asked if they named the girl Sage Brush or something else (he's not keen on the whole tree/shrub theme). When I said, "No, Magnolia" there was a silence then he said, "Sounds like stripper or call girl!" Seems he and I share the same views on names, lol!

July 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
It strikes me as more of a southern type of name, it's alright but doesn't make me think stripper. Maybe she'll end up going by Maggie.
July 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjl View Post
I think of Steel Magnolias
me too lol... I love the name Aspen.... but not so much Magnolia

July 20th, 2011, 12:11 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMomMom View Post

Magnolia seems very Southern, but not so much pole dancer. I think Steel Magnolias, and Julia Roberts - pretty, classy, determined.

I think it's a very hard-to-pronounce name. nmsaa.
July 20th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm really sorry but I think its awful! I share your view, I think stripper or drag queen. I suppose at least she can go by Maggie or Noley like someone else suggested

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

July 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's pretty rude.

Magnolia is pretty, though not my style. I wonder if she'll go by Maggie.
July 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have the same view. I agree with the others that it has more of a southern flair. I kinda like it, she can go by Maggie or Nola.
July 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
I think it's a very hard-to-pronounce name.
OK, that's what it is! I find myself getting "stuck" saying it, like it is too drawn out or something.

I'm sorry...I didn't mean to be rude...it was the initial image/thought that popped into my head and I'm desperately trying to replace the stripper thing with something else. I honestly don't know where that thought came from but there it was and there it stays...sigh.

Oh well. I've been told one of my dc's names sound like a disease. Only I was told to my face by my best friend whereas I will never say a word to my sil about what her dd's name made me think of.

July 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Does the name of one of your children end with itis? Briannitis? Cause then maybe it would sound like a disease. I've gotten the disease comment a lot for the name Leonidas. I don't really think it's rude to not like a name. *shrug* It's probably a good thing Magnolia's mother didn't tell people the name before they set her with it, because she probably would have heard some awful things from people who don't seem to know where the line is between expressing that it's not your style and being a jerk.

I get a lot of bad reviews for A LOT of the names I like, and it doesn't make me like them any less. I think Magnolia will be fine through life. She has nickname options, and hey - if she ever wants to be a stripper, then I guess she's set! but really, in my mind, nothing beats Tiina Treasure as a stripper name, unless someone were to actually name their kid Passion or Lust or something.
July 20th, 2011, 01:16 PM
girlggc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The name really isn't my style. It's a southern name. Not that there's anything wrong with a southern name, but I'm a northern girl.

Thank you to pattyandthemoos for the beautiful siggie!

July 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm on the other side, I think Magnolia is a much better name than Aspen! I think of Magnolia flowers when I see it, and I think it has several great nickname options. I don't think it is stripper-ish, and I tend to find a lot of vocabulary word type names very down-market.

July 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Magnolia is a beautiful choice! I love it! And it has great nn possibilities. I am thinking your sister in law is very educated on names and maybe even part of the 'online baby naming' community, because Magnolia is pretty hot online right now...it's not dated, not overly trendy, not boring, not too common. I say she did a terrific job! Aspen and Magnolia are probably lovely - and they should thank their mom for doing her baby naming research and not naming her something more common and boring!
July 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Does the name of one of your children end with itis? Briannitis? Cause then maybe it would sound like a disease.
lol, no "itis" names. But "Jaren" makes my friend's skin crawl (her exact words). Funny thing is she had a dd years later and named her something that reminds me of a disease and makes my skin crawl, lol!

Quote:
Magnolia is pretty hot online right now...it's not dated, not overly trendy, not boring, not too common.
You are right on all of those...hmmm, I'm still stuck on boy names so maybe I need to ask my sil for suggestions. Although I really wouldn't want to use Cedar or Oak as a name, I don't think...

July 21st, 2011, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think these boys names fit well w/ your other kids -

Clayton (Clay)
Grant
Brooks
Grady
Wesley
Garrett
Chance
Graham

Topic Tools Search this Topic