Name change?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
As I've said at least a few times, DH doesn't agree with me on what constitutes an awesome baby name. I love Hermione, and he loves Nicole. I love Banner, and he loves David. You get the idea. So none of my kids tend to have the names I would love them to have, but they do have names I can live with, obviously.

But I'm sort of a name snob, and one of my main pet peeves is using a nickname for a given name (like naming your kid Katie instead of Katherine). I don't usually like nicknames at all (like I would prefer to call her Katherine), but sometimes they're okay.

I've always seen Heidi as a nickname. It drives me bonkers that I've given my kid a nickname as her given name, and has since we named her. Bonkers. DH picked it, and pretty much insisted. I wanted to name her Adelheid and CALL her Heidi. Nothing doing. So for the last YEAR I've been trying to get him to let me change it, legally, so that her name is Adelheid, and he's finally getting tired of hearing about it (meaning he might let me do it).

Thoughts? We would still call her Heidi, so she would see no difference and no one would even notice the change. I don't know why it bothers me SO much, but it really annoys me, lol.
August 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM
Super Mommy
I feel like if you're going to call her Heidi, why not name her Heidi? I've NEVER thought of Heidi as a nn, but just a name. She looks like a Heidi and that will always be her name, so why not keep it at that. It shouldn't bother you, it's beautiful and so is she! That's just my opinion. Do what you think is best for your child!
August 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm kind of the opposite of you - I don't like it when someone gives my kids a nickname instead of calling them by a given name. We've tried to pick names for our kids that couldn't have a nickname (like Cody) but I met people who use Cody as a nickname for Dakota.

To me, if I name my kid Dakota, they'll be called Dakota.

Now we DID name our DD Katie - and it's not short for anything. Everyone asks us if her name is Katherine and Katie is short and I'm always NO, her name is Katie.

I've never thought of Heidi as a nickname, either, but if you feel that strongly about it, I'd do what your heart is saying to do.

Other than with my DD, I don't think any of the boys have names you can make a nickname out of! lol

If this next one were to be a boy, my DH wanted to name him Nathan. I could see everyone trying to call him Nate and that would have drove me crazy! It's a girl, though, and we're naming her Peyton!

August 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
^^ People will no doubt call her Pey. It's like the universal code of conduct - every name must be shortened, or end with a "ee" sound. I tend to pick names that don't have an intuitive nick name, like Luke. Family still call him Lukey. Lauren? Family keeps trying to call her Lola - That doesn't even makes sense to me because her name is LAR-en, not LO-ren.

I almost always tend to prefer a given name over the possible nicknames, but there are a few exceptions. Heidi seems like a name on it's own, because of the book I guess, and so I thought I'd be okay with it, but it still bugs me. I just wish we'd used the proper name, because "Heidi" doesn't feel like a given name to me. Maybe I just feel like a hypocrite for shaking my head at Charlie's, Cassie's, and Nate's (as given names) and then naming my kid Heidi.

It's one of the few names that I waffle on - using a nickname or JUST using the nickname. I also go back and forth on names like Bella and Liam. I never would have named her Heidi or Adelheid if my husband hadn't insisted, specifically BECAUSE of this dilemma!

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; August 1st, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
August 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I've only seen Heidi used as a full name, not a nn. I guess my thing is that most people see Heidi as a full name so I think it would be hard for her to explain when she got older because most places would require her real name. Unless you just changed the paperwork and always called her Heidi.

Also, my oldest has a friend named Lauren but they all call her Lola. I don't understand how that becomes a nn.

August 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I've always thought of Heidi as a full name, probably because of the Heidi book/movie. But I think if you prefer Adelheid and it makes the name somehow more complete, you should go for it. She'll always be called Heidi and I guess Adelheid would just formalize it in your mind.

But I know what you mean about nicknames vs. full names - I like the formal version myself.
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
August 2nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly not a fan of Adelheid. Heidi is much prettier.

Not sure where you're from but where I live, whatever name is legally on the birth certificate is on all of their school stuff - class lists, year book etc. So it may make a difference once she's in school. DD has a friend who's parents screwed up & put his father's name in the baby's name section of his birth certificate. All of his school stuff including his yearbook picture say "Onur" when he goes soley by "Levent".

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I know it'll make a difference when she gets to school, but it'll be the same as every single Danny, Cassie, Nate, and Katie that was given a formal name on the birth certificate and prefers a nickname. It's not like I'm saddling her with this huge life challenge because she goes by a nick name.
August 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Super Mommy
It seems like you've already made your mind up. It is your child, do what you think is best for her.
August 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As it won't make a difference to anyone, I would legally change it. Its obviously bugging you loads, and would put your mind at rest to know that even though everyone calls her Heidi, she has a 'proper' name. That being said I've never heard Heidi be a nickname. I am the same as you though, we only call our son Toby, and he is officially Tobias because I wanted him to have a full 'proper' name. No offence meant to anyone

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

August 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMomMom View Post
I know it'll make a difference when she gets to school, but it'll be the same as every single Danny, Cassie, Nate, and Katie that was given a formal name on the birth certificate and prefers a nickname. It's not like I'm saddling her with this huge life challenge because she goes by a nick name.

Now now didn't say it was a huge life challenge - just said it would make a difference

BTW my dd is Lucinda but we call her Lucy. I'm Kris & go by Kristin. Not a huge deal but you are changing her name after the fact that's all.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 2nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Even in the book, Heidi was a nickname. Heidi was named after her mother, and they were both named Adelheid. Funny enough, Heidi's father was Tobias.
August 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I think Heidi is beautiful, and I never thought of it as a nic name either. I have never heard of the name Adelheid. How is it pronounced? I am imagining A-DEL-HIDE.

My own opinion on the matter is not to change her name. If you are going to call her Heidi, why not have her name be Heidi? Also Adelheid is a little strange, and it might embarass her when she is older during roll call, etc.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Adelheid is very... German. It's the German/Dutch form of Adelaide, and sounds a lot like it. A-del-hide. First syllable like Adelaide, last syllable just like Heid-i. Or if you want to go super German, it's A-dul-heit, with a soft t at the end. We say it with a d sound, though. I've also heard it with a silent h, so A-dul-ide. I prefer the first of the three I just gave though, and so does DH.

He's "thinking about it." I never took his last name when we got married, and I told him that I'll change my last name if he lets me change Heidi's first name.
August 2nd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Anyone named Heidi I've known, that has been the full first name.

I've actually changed my own name. It was one of those that was Something long-form and Somey short-form. I hated both forms of it, but it was really. dang. irritating. when I ran into teachers who insisted on calling me the full Something. And it happened about once per school year - the music teacher, the art teacher, someone who felt like irritating me, etc.

(IIRC, you changed yours, right?..)

Last edited by Jintana; August 2nd, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
August 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Quote:
He's "thinking about it." I never took his last name when we got married, and I told him that I'll change my last name if he lets me change Heidi's first name.
Sounds like a compromise to me I say go for it!
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
August 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Quote:
LOL me too. Except I told mine I'd change to his name after we got married in the temple.

As a Nicole called Nikki. I did prefer having a mature name to grow into. Especially when Prince came out with his nasty song titled "Darling Nikki" Darling Nikki Lyrics - Prince
I cannot believe they played that on the RADIO!

Of the three Heidi's I know of the two in their 30's were Heidi's and I believe the one under five had the longer name but I am not sure.

Good luck!

August 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I agree with the other ladies. I also don't like nicknames as full names, but unless you'd said something I never would have known that Heidi wasn't a full name. It actually seems like it's a name that's become a full name as it's traveled West -- that is to say, people in Germany might think of it as a nickname, but no one in England/the U.S./Canada ever would.

There are some names that could be nicknames OR full names, depending on context, and if you think about it Luke is also one of them (it could be nickname for Lucas or Lucius). Jamie is another one - it could be a nickname for James, or it could be a name on its own. Beau is also one, now that I think about it. Any of those names I would be perfectly fine using as full names, because they're not ONLY nicknames (not like Katie, or Laurie, or something like that).

Anyway, it's totally your decision, but I do think that Heidi fits much better with Luke and Lauren than Adelheid does. Adelheid seems much more exotic and sort of out of place.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
elleword's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to elleword
If you love it and it's bugging you, I say go for it! It doesn't match with the other names... but I have never been interested in that... they are their own person! I love Adelheid!

Thanks Babydoll213 for my wonderfully festive siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search