Sibling Dilemma

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Super Mommy
So, my sister just had a boy, but is still holding out for her girl and has ALWAYS wanted to name her Peyton Karah because Karah is a cross between Katherine (me) and Sarah (our other sister). My DB and I have been thinking of girl's names and we both love the idea of naming a little girl Caroline, but calling her Cara. The dilemma is that my sister thinks we are copying her and is afraid that if we have a girl first the name won't be as special...
Do you think I can get away with Cara because of the different spelling?
August 2nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think your sister is being a little silly, honestly. Caroline and Karah are completely different names. Your sister may never get a girl anyway, she can't "call dibs" on a name for years and years, crossing her fingers that she may get a girl. She could change her mind too, and decide she doesn't even want to use the name Karah.

So, I say whoever gets pregnant with a girl first gets to use the name of their choice. If the other sibling gets pregnant with a girl after that and still wants to use Karah/Caroline "Cara" then they're always capable of doing so.

Besides, her "Karah" would be a middle name (which is probably rarely used) and your "Cara" would be a nickname which would be used regularly.
August 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Hmm... I don't really see why it would matter to your sister so much since

1) She is using it as a middle name
2) The spelling is totally different
3) Cara would only be the nic-name

If it really really upsets her, I might try to find another name that you both really like. But personally I don't see why it is a big deal.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't see why she cares, either. The spelling issue means nothing to me, because names are said more often than spelled, so changing the spelling doesn't change the name at all. But she has it in the middle spot, and you want to use it as a nickname. So unless she intends to call her baby by the middle name, then it won't matter at all in the long run.

If it were me, with a name list the size of Jupiter, then I'd just scratch it off the list and pick something else. But a lot of people don't have ridiculously long lists of names they'd love to use (seriously, I need to have about 50 kids with two middle names each to use them all), and in that case they should use the name they love no matter what, IMO.
August 2nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
I think your sister is being a little silly, honestly. Caroline and Karah are completely different names. Your sister may never get a girl anyway, she can't "call dibs" on a name for years and years, crossing her fingers that she may get a girl. She could change her mind too, and decide she doesn't even want to use the name Karah.

So, I say whoever gets pregnant with a girl first gets to use the name of their choice. If the other sibling gets pregnant with a girl after that and still wants to use Karah/Caroline "Cara" then they're always capable of doing so.

Besides, her "Karah" would be a middle name (which is probably rarely used) and your "Cara" would be a nickname which would be used regularly.

August 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzgurl View Post
Hmm... I don't really see why it would matter to your sister so much since

1) She is using it as a middle name
2) The spelling is totally different
3) Cara would only be the nic-name

If it really really upsets her, I might try to find another name that you both really like. But personally I don't see why it is a big deal.
I totally agree!!!!
August 4th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They are different names, and middle names are fair game anyway.

August 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Veteran
If she has only boys...will you be bummed that you missed out on the name you truly loved only for no one to use it? Probably so I'd say go with it. It's a middle name making it totally different.

My mom had a name picked out before she had boys and my aunt took it. My mom said she is glad she used it and then my mom picked something new out that she liked more and that was copying the first AND middle name. It will work out.
August 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post

lol for years and three girl my BFF and I raced who could have a son named Nathan. In the end both have had sons. Neither named Nathan mine ended up being Bla Bla Bla the Third whoops. Her's ended being named Nicklaus.

Any way the only dibs I this is appropriate is a son who is a Junior or higher order being allowed dibs to his name sake name. Like my son being a third should get than name allocated to him.

August 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
agreeing with the other ladies - it's not like she's using Karah as the first name... and it's a different spelling...

August 8th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Agree with everyone else. Its completely different names, and hers is the middle name and you are thinking of it as a nickname. No one owns the name, so I would say whoever has a girl first uses it

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

August 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everyone else! You can't call dibs on a name. Plus it's totally different anyway.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a personal experience with something similar. I've always loved the name Kambri/Kambry for years and years and it's the only name DH liked also. Well, I made the mistake and told a friend (also my sister's friend) that I love the name. The next thing I knew my sister named her little girl Cambry (So, yes different spelling, but still same name). I got pregnant a year little with our little girl and I cried because I no longer wanted to use the name that meant so much to me and DH and we finally came up with a different name(even though Kambri is still my favorite name choice). So, from experience it can be touchy situation. But, if she's using as a middle name, then that's totally different; And you're using it as a nn for Caroline. My sister actually heard the name liked it and then just used it, which to me is somewhat different. But, If you think it'd really disappoint your sister then maybe explain to her and if she still seems reluctant then maybe try for another name; Because, from experience it can be a huge disappointment!
Baby #2 is on the way!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search