Baby due soon, help!

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2011, 09:40 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've really got to get this figured out SOON!

Our first son is named Matthew.

Our second son we are still deciding. We've narrowed it down to Michael, Daniel or Jonah.

Dh is leaning towards Michael.

Is it too cutesy or confusing to have two "M" names? Dh is adament that we are done at two kids, but on the chance that we did have a third, I really doubt we would do a 3rd "M" name, for the record.

I worry that with two M's, people might get the two boys confused as to which one is which.

I've even read some stuff on sibling naming that talks about how parents start to call the kids by the wrong name. Though my mom insists that you will do this no matter what your kids' names are! I know there were times she started to call out "Andrew", (my little bros name) and then realized she meant Shannon. What do you think?

I like Daniel but Dh isn't too crazy about it. Jonah we both *kinda* like but it's a little more uncommon than Matthew and we aren't sure about that aspect of it, and also wouldn't like it if it got shortened to Jo.

Another factor is trying to figure out the middle name. It's possible if we use Michael that both boys could have the exact same initials, MAE, but not necessarily.

It is really bugging me that we don't have a for sure name! With Matthew, we were about 95% sure before he was born.

August 6th, 2011, 09:46 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
And re-thinking more, maybe having two M's isn't so bad since the names don't really sound alike?

Matthew and Michael don't really have the same sound except for the M at the beginning.

Whereas (for example) if you had a Michael and Daniel, those are very similar sounding as far as the end of the name.

August 6th, 2011, 09:57 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I love the names you have on your short list. Classic, masculine names. You really can't go wrong.

I know a couple of Jonah's, and so far they've never had issue with it being shortened to Jo(e). I'm sure it could be if that's what you wanted, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, to be honest.

Jonah is less popular than Matthew, and Michael and Daniel, too. But it's not so much less popular that it stands out or looks funny. It's still in the top 200. It's not hard to say, and MOST people have heard of "Jonah and the Whale" so they're familiar with the pronunciation and spelling. Plus, they are both famously Biblical, and match in that regard. It really shouldn't be an issue.

My first two kids are Luke Andrew and Lauren Alexandria. L.A. and L.A. We didn't do it on purpose - that's just the way it worked out. Few people (that weren't name fanatics) ever commented on it, and it took my own sister about two years to even really put it together. She didn't notice until my third was born and given the initials H.N. and even then Heidi was several months old before my sister said "wait, her initials are different!"

Being the OCD personality that I am, if Heidi had been my last I would have stuck with the L.A. theme, but I really don't think it matters that much, to be honest. Your kids won't be "Matthew and Michael and Jonah" their whole lives. They'll have separate teachers and separate families and separate lives, and their names will rarely be said one after the other for anyone to even notice they don't all match. Plus, matching is unimportant to most people anyways.

Man, I make really long responses... sorry! Anyways, my vote in Jonah, but I really like all your choices.
August 6th, 2011, 10:13 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Given everything you said, Jonah is my favorite. It's a biblical name just like Matthew, so they sound like brother names to me. And, I wouldn't worry about it being shortened to Jo.
August 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Of your list, my vote would go to Daniel.

But I had to add that I have cousin siblings named Michael and Matthew and I don't think they've had any issues with consistently getting called the wrong name. Like you said, you'll get the names mixed up at time regardless!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

August 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I love Michael out of your list and I don't think Michael and Matthew are too matchy at all. I like the classic look of these two names.
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
August 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I vote for Jonah. Michael is way to common for me and Daniel doesn't seem to flow with Matthew. Personally I'm not a fan of same letter name siblings. Just not my thing

And you will call them the wrong name no matter what. I've called Lucy - Noah & Noah-Lucy on more than 1 occassion. They're girl/boy and 4 years apart but it still comes out wrong sometimes

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I like Michael for you! You'll get the names mixed up no matter what you call them. I sometimes call my husband Caitlin, my sisters name There is no avoiding it.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

August 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I like Daniel best. I really think that Matthew and Michael are too similar.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 8th, 2011, 04:01 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I like Jonah. I call my kids the wrong names all the time. Sometimes I combine the boys names on accident and call which ever one I'm talking to Brine!

Ryne+Brin=Brine!

August 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I think Matthew and Michael is a nice sibset for boys... they're along the same lines, but they aren't too similar that it sounds 'cutesie'

oh and for the record - you could have a Matthew and a Brouhaha and you WILL call them by the wrong name about 50,000 times it just happens...

August 10th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Super Mommy
I vote Jonah. Coming from a sibset where my sister and I start with K, I know how annoying it is. We are ALWAYS mixed up and our names (Kristin and Katherine) barely sound alike. I think Jonah is Biblical like Matthew, but unique so the child will have his own identity and not be mistaken for his brother like I was my whole life.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search