My Top 2000

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't really have 2000 names, but sometimes it feels like it. I can't decide which name is my absolutely favorite, because it changes every day. I sort of home that my next baby is a boy so that I don't have to worry about girl names, but then I feel like I want six or seven more girls just to use my top names! So here's my latest list - tell me your thoughts!

Allison (last name ends in -son though, so unless I have an affair, it's not gonna work)
Ariadne (of course, it's been in the top five for years now)
Clover (also been at the top forever)
Eirene (eh-REN-ee) (worried people will try to call her Irene, which I'm not a fan of at all)
EllaBeth
Hermione
Holiday
Ilythia
Madeline (I'm marginally turned off by the popularity, and rather turned off by the inevitable nick name Maddie. There will no doubt be pronunciation issues, but that barely matters to me)
Raeden (trendiness turns me off)
Raya (husband doesn't care for)
Selena
Siri
August 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I know what you mean about 1,000 names, as I have had to cut my list down quite a bit. I have a top 6 for each now at least haha.

Anyways, from your names I really love Ariadne, Holiday, Ilythia, Madeline and Selena. Out of these Ariadne, Holiday and Madeline are my favorites. I'm not a huge fan of word-names like Holiday but for some reason this name has grown on me so much. Madeline may be shortened to Maddie and Ariadne could be shortened to Ari or something like that but I still like them a lot.

As far as being "theme-matchy" with your kids names, which are more 'traditional/classic type names' (not that it really matters but just my opinion) I think Madeline and Selena may be best (and Allison, but you kinda vetoed that already with the last name thing).

I also think Holiday (or Hermione) would fit as well, as you would have 2 L's and 2 H's. Not sure if that's important to you immensely or not.
August 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Veteran
Holiday is such a fun middle name in my opinion. Madeline Holiday...love it! I say don't let popularity get you down, just go with what you love. The only thing is with a longer name a child will almost undoubtably have a shorten version so if you don't like Maddie, you might want to go with something else.
August 8th, 2011, 05:49 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't mind Ari for Ariadne. My husband already said he'd call her that.
I also don't mind Holly for Holiday.
I don't see any obvious nicknames for Hermione on the table. Hermy? Gosh, no. I may be okay with Ione as a nickname, since I like that name anyways.
But I detest Maddie, and I think it will be impossible to get people to just call her Madeline.
I also dislike Alli for Allison, but that's less common. I wouldn't object terrible to using Allison in the middle name spot: Hermione Allison Edison? I love Allison enough to hope she gets married early.
Ilythia might be shortened.. Thia maybe? That's not horrible.
August 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I don't think any of the nicknames are horrible. I even like Maddie for Madeline
August 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I like Ariadne, Clover & Holiday.

August 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillidh View Post
I don't think any of the nicknames are horrible. I even like Maddie for Madeline
I don't really like any nicknames, to be honest. I prefer to just use the regular ol' given name, or a pet name that has nothing to do with the given name. But I realize that nicknames are inevitable, so I try to find ones I can tolerate. I would greater prefer that people use Ariadne, Hermione, Holiday, Madeline, Allison, Selena, etc. I dunno why I don't like Maddie. I just don't. Maybe because it's short for like four different names, and that makes me feel like it takes away from the beauty of the relatively uncommon Madeline. I realize the spelling is common, but I pronounce it mad-uh-line. And while that's no where near being unheard of, it doesn't carry the same popularity as Madison and Madelyn, but Maddie does.
August 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I understand what you mean about the given name being what they're called. I'm like no-nickname for certain names but for some reason my girl-names I do like nicknames. I think Maddie will end up being the nickname for Madeleine. My Gran who was called that, her nickname was Mad Rose lol.
August 8th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Allison - I think it'd work well with your other kids, but yea, the -son surname makes it sound a bit funny, lol
Ariadne - when I think of you I think of this name!
Clover - I like it
Eirene - I automatically pronounce it Irene..
EllaBeth - Cute
Hermione - nms.. but probably because I'm anti HP....
Holiday - interesting...
Ilythia - love it
Madeline - its nice, but very popular, and if you don't want the Maddie nickname...
Raeden - like it
Raya - like it... what about Saraya?
Selena - nms
Siri - nms

August 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You could drop the i in Eirene, that might help.

August 8th, 2011, 09:40 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama View Post
Raya - like it... what about Saraya?
I think it's cute, but Sariah (sa-rye-uh) is a really popular LDS name, and therefore one I'd like to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
You could drop the i in Eirene, that might help.
Then it would just be spelled wrong. That would be like naming a kid "peace" but spelling it "peese." I don't consider it an option.
August 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Super Mommy
I love Raya and EllaBeth. They're both simple and classic, but still beautiful and unique!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search