How popular is.....

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Alice? As the name board ladies, do you hear it alot? We are naming out LO due in Oct "Alice Mae" Someone told me that since the Twilight Movie/Book thing it has gotten really popular as a character from it's name is Alice.

What are your thoughts? I am just trying to figure out if in like 1st grade she's gonna be 1 of like 12 Alices...

Thanks
August 7th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Veteran
I haven't heard Alice at all in Michigan, nor have I come across it too often on the net. Such a pretty name!
August 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I really adore the name Alice, it's so pretty. Personally, I haven't seen this name around too much, I only know 1 child named this. It says the name is 172 on the SSA list, although it has been growing in popularity in 2009 it was #258 and 2010 says #172 but it's still not overly popular. I say you should go for it!!
August 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I think it is popular enough to not longer feel out dated but not so popular that there will be 4 Alices in her classes.

This is hard to judge because it really depends on who you know and where you hang out. For example had I named Scarlett Peyton she would have been the FIFTH peyton on her DDC but I have yet to run into ONE in real life older or younger, girl or boy.

Last edited by Happy Song; August 7th, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
August 8th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
i have a cousin [10] named Alice, but to be honest she's the only child Alice I know.. even amongst the daycare/preschool the girls are at, there are no Alice's...

August 8th, 2011, 05:35 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
There were 1,761 Alice's born in the US in 2010, so an average of 35 per state. It's number 172 on the SSA top 1000. It's not ridiculously popular, but it's certainly not unique. Honestly, I'd call it trendy right now. I don't think there are going to be a million Alices hanging out in a single school, though.
August 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I agree that I think having it in Twilight has made it not so uncommon, but I don't think it's so popular that there will be multiple girls in her class with the name. I think it's really cute and definitely a keeper!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

August 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's really cute and personally don't know any young kids named Alice and I've worked at many daycares and even Subbed at schools and only heard of 1 (maybe 2).
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6
August 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it takes a while for some names to get super popular. When I named dd Lucy - it was very unpopular. Not it's becoming more & more but she's still the only Lucy in her school of 600 kids.

So even it it's more popular - going from 1,000 to even 10 or 20,000 still makes it not overly common.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
August 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie.S View Post
I agree that I think having it in Twilight has made it not so uncommon, but I don't think it's so popular that there will be multiple girls in her class with the name. I think it's really cute and definitely a keeper!

August 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love it! If I am ever blessed with a daughter her name will be Alice We have had it picked out for years!

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

August 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never met an Alice IRL! I don't see Alice very often either, I think you're safe.

August 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Thanks so much ladies!! I really appreciate the input, we are still going to go with the name Alice. I really appreciate your time that you posted here!
August 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
MysticalSerenity's Avatar L♥ving my Babies!
I love Alice <3

and I LOVE the name Orion also! (wanted to name my son that forever, and hubby would not go for it )

August 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Valerie.'s Avatar Loving life as a mom
I love Alice It's so pretty

August 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Super Mommy
My SIL's middle name is Alice and I've always loved it! I don't think it's popular at all! I love it. It's gorgeous and classic. Great choice!!
August 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I must have a different experiance than other people here, BUT

I have 28 god children, soon tobe 30. Out of the last 5 baby girls bown, 3 are named Alice. My godmother is Alice, I have 4 cousins named Alice. One of the soon to be god babies is a surprise baby, mom and dad are naming the baby Alise(Pronounced Alice) if its a girl. She is in labor now as I write this.

I also have two neices(one on ex husbands side one on mine) who are Alice, And Alysce(pronounced the name).

Since the new Movie has come out it seems all my friends are naming baby girlsAlice, or some form of it. I would look for a different name if i were you.

Also-I noticed your location, one cousin, and two god daughters are located all around that area. And i am sure you can gues their names

I love the name, but considering of the abve mentioned, only 2 people(god mother and cousin) are over the age of 3. Hope this helps.
August 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM
annem84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love, love, love the name Alice but DH will never go for it. The only Alice I know of is my 85-year-old grandmother!
August 15th, 2011, 05:43 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know a single Alice of any age IRL. I had a friend in school whose middle name was Alice, and she is 23.

August 15th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Veteran
I don't think Twilight would have made it popular. Twilight is more responsible for all the Jacobs, Edwards, and Bellas =P If anything, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland would be more responsible for its popularity. But it's not in any top ten list or anything. Your daughter won't be one of four Alices in her class so I say go for it!

Last edited by Rinchan; August 15th, 2011 at 06:24 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search