Little girl...Johnnie? WDYT

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM
My father-in-law passed away a couple of years ago and my husband promised that we would name our first little boy after him. Well, we are having our second girl and I don't think we plan on trying again for a boy. Do you think we could name our little girl after him by namer her Johnnie? I know there are lots of little girls right now being named Charlie so what's the difference? Maybe pair it with a feminine middle name. Thoughts? Suggestions on middle names or alternatives? Thanks!
August 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No. Little girls should have girls names, NOT Charlie or Johnny or other boy names. However I am all for honoring loved ones so I hope there is a feminine form of John you both like.
August 15th, 2011, 12:47 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I went to school with a girl named Johnny, actually, and never thought anything of it.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

August 15th, 2011, 05:37 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Johnnie is cute! just pair it with a girly middle name.

a few years ago a celebrity named her daughter Johnnie Rose

August 15th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Well, you could always use Johnna which is a derivative of John and nickname could be Johnnie. My full-name's Johnna
August 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I can't personally see Johnnie on a little girl. I would at least give her a more feminine full name and nn her Johnnie. Maybe Johannah?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

August 15th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Super Mommy
There are plenty of girl names that are forms or derivatives of John.

Jan
Jana
Janna
Jane
Johnna
Joan
Joanie
Joanna
Johanna
Ivana
Jean
Jeanine
Gianna
Gionvanna
Gianina
Shona
Sinead
Shavonne / Siobhan
Vanna
Yoana

Any and all of those would be better than naming a little girl Johnnie. But then, I don't think little girls should be named Charlie, either. CALLED Charlie - sure, why not? A little girl CALLED Johnnie could be cute, depending on the little girl. But I think you should give her a female name.
August 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Remember the girl on The Bachelor whose daughter was named Ricki after her late father??

I like the idea of naming her Johana and calling her Johnnie. Or maybe use Johnnie as her middle name?
August 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I think Johnnie as a first name would be cute. Maybe pair it with a girly middle name.

August 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I agree with other posters- choose a derivative of John and just call her Johnie as a nick name.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
August 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not normally a fan of using a boy's name for a girl, but in this case I like it. There is reason and sentiment behind it. As for using a female form of Johnnie and just calling her that, I believe that you should name the child what you plan on calling them.

August 15th, 2011, 09:12 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Yeah, my first choice would be to give her a feminine name and use Johnnie as the nn. That way if it really annoys her that people always assume she's a man and such, she can go by her full name.

If you really do not like any of the feminine forms of John, then I think it'd be okay to use Johnnie with a feminine mn.
August 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I like the idea of using Johnna and giving her the n/n Johnnie.. .but then if you'd call her Johnnie all the time... what IS the harm in giving her Johnnie as a first name? end of the day it's your baby, and your FIL that you're honouring.... if you like it, then... do it

August 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
LittleLucy's Avatar Member
Not a fan, personally. But, it's up to you!
I would maybe consider it as a middle name, though.
August 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think it's fine... but I personally would go with a feminine form of John personally and use Johnnie as a nn... its really personal preference though I just like names that have nn's!

August 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby&Emmy'sMama View Post
I like the idea of using Johnna and giving her the n/n Johnnie.. .but then if you'd call her Johnnie all the time... what IS the harm in giving her Johnnie as a first name? end of the day it's your baby, and your FIL that you're honouring.... if you like it, then... do it
Not to debate, but I disagree with this. At the end of the day, it is YOUR baby, but YOUR baby is a PERSON, and there's a certain responsibility to that person, as an individual, that goes beyond "this is what I want so there."

The point of giving a child a professional name even though you won't ever use it, is to give the child options, and also because it just looks better on applications. What we name our children SHOULD BE a reflection on our own style and intelligence, but it becomes a reflection on the child instead. Johnnie will most likely be less respected in the professional world than Johnna or Joanna or Johannah, even though she didn't choose to get stuck with a boy's name.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
August 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere View Post
Not to debate, but I disagree with this. At the end of the day, it is YOUR baby, but YOUR baby is a PERSON, and there's a certain responsibility to that person, as an individual, that goes beyond "this is what I want so there."

The point of giving a child a professional name even though you won't ever use it, is to give the child options, and also because it just looks better on applications. What we name our children SHOULD BE a reflection on our own style and intelligence, but it becomes a reflection on the child instead. Johnnie will most likely be less respected in the professional world than Johnna or Joanna or Johannah, even though she didn't choose to get stuck with a boy's name.
i say the heck with anybody who is going to judge another human being by a piece of paper with a name on it. Maybe instead of worrying about giving their children professional names, parents should instill in children not to judge others by something as silly as a name, Just my opinion tho
August 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyceBrielle View Post
i say the heck with anybody who is going to judge another human being by a piece of paper with a name on it. Maybe instead of worrying about giving their children professional names, parents should instill in children not to judge others by something as silly as a name, Just my opinion tho
Well, it's not like I think people SHOULD be judged by their names, and of course many people will bring their children up to not be judgmental idiots. But at the same time, you can't ignore reality just because you don't like it. The reality is that your child WILL BE judged based on the name you give them, because this problem isn't going to magically fix itself with the next immediate generation. So yes, raise your children to not judge people they may employ based on a name. Raise them to not automatically think someone named Fantasia is a stripper, or someone named Johnnie is.. I dunno. A lesbian (not that I think that's bad). But at the same time, it would be a nice thing to do for our children to not set them up to be judged by people who weren't raised as well as they (our children) were.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]

Tags
baby names , girl names , name help , unisex names

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search