Siblings with the same middle name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM
K-10's Avatar Veteran
What's your take on brothers who have the same middle name?

Our son has two middle names, Jagger James Eastwood, but we only really use James. Eastwood is on his birthcert, but nothing else. I don't even think he knows it's part of his name! lol

Anyway, we would love to use the name Eastwood again if we have another boy.

So far everyone I've asked hates it, but they can't really tell me why. I think most people instantly feel like it's an identity crisis issue and feel everyone should have their own distinct name. It is not a family name and there is no such tradition in either of our families, but a tradition needs to start somewhere! lol

How would you feel as a child and an adult with the same middle name as your same sex sibling?
August 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
My husband has a little brother whose first name is my husband's middle name. Neither of them care that they share a name. I think especially boys do not care about that kind of thing.
August 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
It's a little different but we're Irish Catholic and all 4 of my elder sisters first name's are Mary but they go by their middle names, 'Mary' only gets brought up when they're in some deep doo doo. None of them really seemed to mind that.

My eldest brother and my youngest brother both share the name James in common. Though older brother was John James and younger brother is James Joseph.

I think if you like it you should use it. after they grow up they'll have seperate lives and most likely won't think about it much.
TTC#1 Red Sox Fan
Mama to Pit bulls (Z&M)
August 17th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Yeah I agree that boys probably won't care that much. Especially when they're older. I myself probably wouldn't do it, but like you said if you don't even really use it for him and you like it, then I say go for it.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

August 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Super Mommy
I personally wouldn't do it, but I see no problem with it...especially middle names. Although, in your case, Jagger doesn't even really use that name, so I see no problem with re-using it if you love it.
August 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Super Mommy
I don't think it matters. I share a middle name with my sister and we hate it, but there's more to the story than JUST sharing a middle name.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
August 17th, 2011, 12:55 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont think it will matter for boys. Girls would hve the potential t0 cause a problem, but wth brothers
i think your safe

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

August 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I personally wouldn't do it, just because I have so many names that I love that I wouldn't want to waste the chance to use another one by recycling an old one! I don't think it will really cause a problem with sibling rivalry, it's just not my style.

What if you went back and removed the name Eastwood from your older son's birth certificate? It's not too late to change that. If he already has another middle name, and he never uses the name Eastwood, then it probably wouldn't bother him.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
August 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I think its fine especially since you don't use it (except for on the birth certificate) for your first son.. as others say I don't think siblings really care that much about sharing a name.

August 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
i think that would be neat, my hubby, both his brothers, and his dad share a MN
August 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
K-10's Avatar Veteran
I think we probably will end up using it again and not take it off of our sons birthcert.

So now, names that go well with Eastwood!! lol
August 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM
Super Mommy
Cymoril, Jagger and...

Kai Eastwood
Teegan Eastwood
Diesel Eastwood
Hayden Eastwood
Rocco Eastwood
Orion Eastwood
Briar Eastwood
August 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
If you really want to use it, you should use it!!!!

August 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For boys I don't see a big deal, I think girls might have an issue with it [dunno why, but I think I would if I had to 'share' a middle name]

One of my ex's middle name is David, and his little brother's name is David, and they never seemed to have issues with it. Though I always thought she could have been a little more creative with names...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search