Being considered

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Opinions, please?

Ariakan (AH-ree-AH-ken)
Caramon
Elistan (EL-i-stan)
Raistlin
Tanis
Tyrion (TEE-ree-uhn)

Arya
Aeris
Corinne
Daenerys (dan-AIR-is)
Dania
Karissa
Kira
Kirianna
Kyrisa (ker-EE-sa)
Kyria
Laurana (lau-RA-na)
Milena (meh-LAY-na)
Melina (meh-LEE-na)
Natalya
Terra

Existing kidlet is Tristan Nathaniel. Yes, a lot of the considered names come from fantasy books. I expect that most will be NYS; that's cool, I'd actually prefer to hear honesty rather than tact if that's the case. I also want to know if you think kids with these names will be mocked unnecessarily. Only the name "Raistlin" is kind of odd with our surname; the rest go very nicely. There are no double-entendres or "adult names" as far as I can tell.
August 30th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Most of your names are just not my style, as I prefer more traditional types of names. But I do like:

Corinne

Dania

Kira (I prefer this spelled Kyra though, as that's my sister's name and that's how she spells it)

Milena

Melina

Natalya (Prefer the Natalia spelling)
August 30th, 2011, 05:10 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
Kids are going to make fun of any name. They always find somehow to do it. I would go with what you love and not worry about what other people think. Trust me, I know.

I like:

Caramon
Elistan
Aeris
Daenerys

August 30th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Super Mommy
Ariakan (AH-ree-AH-ken) - This is kind of neat.. it reminds of Kraken for some reason, but that's not a bad thing.
Caramon - I think people will call him Cameron A LOT before really paying attention. Also, Caramel. Not a fan of this one.
Elistan (EL-i-stan) - I really like this. I like the name Ellis, but it's way too feminine, and Elliott is too popular, not to mention being given to girls. Elistan is a nice compromise.
Raistlin - Not a fan. Reminds me of Waste/Waist.
Tanis - Its okay. Kind feminine sounding.
Tyrion (TEE-ree-uhn)- I don't like "y" in boy names, and I think this'll be mispronounced a lot because of names like Tyler and Tyson.

Arya - I really like it
Aeris - Also cute
Corinne - LOVE
Daenerys (dan-AIR-is) - Neat. I like it. Will be mispronounced a lot just by nature of phonetics. I would say it "day-NAIR-iss" on the first try, for instance.
Dania - Not my style, but it's fine.
Karissa - It's cute, but I prefer a lot of other names, such as Clarissa or Alessa.
Kira - Love it, and LOVE this spelling.
Kirianna - Cute, but seems like a tryndeigh mashup.
Kyrisa (ker-EE-sa) - I like it, but this spelling isn't intuitive to the pronunciation. I'd say it "Kie-rissa" on the first try.
Kyria - Eh, not a fan, and I doubt it'll ever be pronounced right either.
Laurana (lau-RA-na) - Very pretty, but again that -ana trend. I prefer Lauren or Lorena.
Milena (meh-LAY-na) - Cute. Reminds me of Milan.
Melina (meh-LEE-na) - Also cute.
Natalya - Dislike. I think Natalia is okay, but this just seems spelled wrong.
Terra - I like this. It's familiar enough to be a name because of Tara, but it's a totally different concept with the 'earth" connection. Awesome. I'm not really a fan of Tara, but I like it spelled this way.

I like A LOT of the girl names, and some of the boy names. I'm thinking my favorites are Corinne and Terra, and Elistan.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
August 30th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Super Mommy
Ariakan (AH-ree-AH-ken): Sounds a little too made up to me. Not masculine enough.
Caramon: Sounds a little girly to me.
Elistan (EL-i-stan): Not bad, could even go with the nn Eli.
Raistlin: Not bad....again not very masculine.
Tanis: Not bad...different...
Tyrion (TEE-ree-uhn): NMSAA. Sounds fantasy like.

Arya: I kind of like this!
Aeris: NMS.
Corinne: Sounds old lady like to me.
Daenerys (dan-AIR-is): Sounds like a company to me.
Dania: Ok...a little odd.
Karissa: Pretty. Not bad.
Kira: Very cute. Love this.
Kirianna: A little too long, much prefer Kira.
Kyrisa (ker-EE-sa): Not bad...
Kyria: meh. don't love it.
Laurana (lau-RA-na): don't like it. Ruins Laura.
Milena (meh-LAY-na): NMS.
Melina (meh-LEE-na): Love this! Cute!
Natalya: Meh. Don't love it, don't hate it.
Terra: Cute spelling.
August 30th, 2011, 06:14 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I only like Tyrion for a boy, but I think it is very useable

For girls, I like Aeris (prefer Aerith), Terra and Kira.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Thank you for your help

I'm not overly concerned about mockery, but I just didn't want to pick anything obvious and be oblivious. For instance, 'Arya' actually does make a bit of a pun with our surname, as 'Tristan' does as well, but so far so good.

Heheh I didn't think of Caramel == Caramon; I blame my DH! He says "caramel" as "car-mel" although I know better.. but I am aware that people will think Cameron. And I don't much like Cameron. :/ Caramon was a fairly bad-arse warrior in the Dragonlance series.

Last edited by Jintana; September 3rd, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
September 3rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I don't like any of your boy names. Like you said, they're really not my style. If I had to pick one, it would be Elistan. Actually, the more I think about that one, the more I like it.

From your girl list, I really like Milena, Melina, and Natalya (though I prefer Natalia).
September 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I'm not a fan of most of your boy names. Caramon and Tanis are okay. Personally I would go with Tanis, since it's the most easily spell-able and pronounceable. (I know how frustrating it can be to have to spell and respell your name a thousand times when you're talking to businesses on the phone or whatever). It goes well with Tristan, too.

Some of your girls' names are very pretty, though none of them are ones I personally would use. Natalya is my absolute favorite -- just gorgeous! Followed closely by Corinne. (I'm pronouncing that COR-in, but if you're going with cor-IN then I don't like it quite as much). Aeris is also very pretty, and Terra is okay. The others are just kind of 'meh' to me. They all look like someone just took a 'K' and threw a bunch of letters on afterwards. (No offense, but I think they would get lost in the mix of all of the other fanciful 'K' names that are likely to be in elementary schools).

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search