Holiday

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Super Mommy
I've stuck it in lists before, but I've never asked outright (I don't think). What do you think of the name Holiday? maybe with the nickname Holly? I wouldn't call her Holly most likely, but other people probably will. And would it better or worse if she was born in December?
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
September 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a fan of Holiday but I love Holly.

I came across the name, Hollins, recently. I like it as an alternative to Holiday but keeping the nn Holly.

When I'm Due...

When I think this baby will actually come out

September 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
For some reason I really love this name, not really into the nickname Holly but just the overall feel of the name. I think it would be really theme-ish if she was born in December but it wouldn't be horrible. I always said if I had a baby on Christmas she would be Noelle...how's that for cliche
September 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Two things come to mind.

1) Some guy wants to "go on Holiday"....
2) "Around the time of Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, Pastafarians celebrate a vaguely defined holiday named "Holiday". " (A Pastafarian is someone who is pretty much atheist, it's the Flying Spaghetti Monster 'religion.'

September 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I wouldn't use it but I like the sound of it.

September 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
K-10's Avatar Veteran
I like the name, a lot. But would never use it on a child born near or around Christmas! lol
September 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it sounds nice. it's okay. definitely not the worst name.
September 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
ImagineOctober's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really like Holiday. It's been on my GP list for years. I think it's a cool name if you're brave enough to use it, but what do you name a sibling to Holiday? It's not one of those names that is easily matched with another, IMO. Also, I REALLY dislike the NN Holly - with such a fun, uncommon name like Holiday why use a sorta common NN?
September 7th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
it's ok.. it's not a name I would pick but I don't think its a bad name.

September 8th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Super Mommy
I don't like either!! I think it would be awful if she was born in December. I was born in December and I would hate to have the name Holiday. It's just asking for your child to get made fun of.
September 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Proud Mommy!
I don't care for it. Especially is she's born in December. I like the nn Holly though.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and Landon!

{Our family blog}

September 8th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtothe6thpower View Post
I'm not a fan of Holiday but I love Holly.

I came across the name, Hollins, recently. I like it as an alternative to Holiday but keeping the nn Holly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineOctober View Post
I really like Holiday. It's been on my GP list for years. I think it's a cool name if you're brave enough to use it, but what do you name a sibling to Holiday? It's not one of those names that is easily matched with another, IMO. Also, I REALLY dislike the NN Holly - with such a fun, uncommon name like Holiday why use a sorta common NN?

I wouldn't be aiming for the nickname Holly. I think it's a cute name, but I like Holiday. Just plain Holiday, with no nicknames. I assume people will nickname her though, since they keep trying to nickname Luke and Lauren. I'd prefer if they didn't, but my husband's family sucks and never listens to what I want and will instead just call her Holly. They will nickname any and all of my children, and therefore I need to pick names that have nicknames I don't hate, lol. I like Holly, but I want to name and call her Holiday. If I was going for Holly as a nickname (which I doubt I would, since Holly stands alone just fine) I'd name her Holland. And it would be my last baby, I'm sure, so her siblings would have "normal" names, and they'll all just have to deal with it.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
September 8th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like it. I don't see how being born in December makes any difference. It's a cute and different name!
September 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere View Post
I'd prefer if they didn't, but my husband's family sucks and never listens to what I want and will instead just call her Holly.
My mom is like this. Tristan was going to have the mn James but my mom said she'd call him TJ no matter what we thought of it. So we picked a mn that had a lousy initial nickname. Take that, meddling parent!

September 8th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintana View Post
My mom is like this. Tristan was going to have the mn James but my mom said she'd call him TJ no matter what we thought of it. So we picked a mn that had a lousy initial nickname. Take that, meddling parent!
Haha. We went with Heidi, a nickname, in order to stave off their nickname fetish. I thought I was safe with Luke and Lauren, but they've been calling him Lukey since birth, and have suggested more than once that they should start calling Lauren "Lola." But instead of nicknaming Heidi, they just mock her with names like "Heidi-Ho" and various references to mountains, goats, and "grandfahther!" with a funny accent. I think it's worse, personally.. because being mocked by your own family because of your name isn't going to be emotionally damaging AT ALL, right? Ugh.

September 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Not a fan of Holiday. But then I'm not a fan of naming kids for things instead of names.

I get the whole nickname thing. My bff named her son Justin thinking the family couldn't nn him - (her dh is still Danny even though he's almost 50) But her family calls him Just. Which I just can't stand. Unfortunately you can't always control them!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search