Name game: Week 12

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
So again it is Wayne's pick, while we were at Walmart he came across a lady with the name tag Kayla and he likes how it looks and sounds.

Kayla is fine a name I would have named my child had I had her when I was 16. There is nothing wrong with it except the lack of zing. It is completley safe and slightly over used.

After talking with Wayne he of course liked the longer version MCKayla/Mikayla/Michaela or however it is properly spelled. Issue her, Wayne likes how Kayla looks. In my mind the proper spelling of the long version is Michaela/Micaela which of course he doesn't like. :eyeroll:

Of course this is a name Wayne has vetoed a few times.

So this week the baby's name is McKayla with the hanging c underlined like my last name.

September 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I like McKayla but I only like the Michaela spelling, sorry!

September 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Super Mommy
+

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; June 26th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
September 19th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Super Mommy
I love McKayla, it's unique and daring (just like you said you wanted!) I think it's very girly and Michaela is just too overdone to me! I like this a lot!! Go Wayne!
September 19th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
Hmm, the McKayla, Mikayla, Makayla, etc. spellings tend to drive me batty. I prefer the original spelling Michaela, any other way just looks kind of made up.
September 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
It's nms but I like McKayla or Mikayla better then Michaela. I always want to pronounce it Michael-AY.

September 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Super Mommy
I strongly strongly dislike the Mc. It denotes a masculine quality, and means "son of." So McKayla is "son of Kayla." Not a fan.

MaKayla or MiKayla are both preferable, but Michaela is what I intend to use as a middle name if I have another girl.

However, I know plenty of people just named Kayla. It really is it's own name as well as being a nick name. It can be a form of Michael or a form of Kelila. But, you can ask him how he feels about Chaela or Caela instead of Kayla.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
September 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Super Mommy
+

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; June 26th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
September 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere View Post
I strongly strongly dislike the Mc. It denotes a masculine quality, and means "son of." So McKayla is "son of Kayla." Not a fan.

September 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere View Post
Good point one that I knew but I'll bring it up and make sure Wayne is OK with her name meaning Son of Kayla actually it means "who is like the lord" but I'll point out the literal translation of that particular spelling. Thanks that is why I am posting here!

September 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
i love Kayla for you, but I really dislike McKayla/Michaela with a McK last night like you mentioned in a different thread.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

September 19th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGamer View Post
i love Kayla for you, but I really dislike McKayla/Michaela with a McK last night like you mentioned in a different thread.
My last name is McK... baby's last name is Mortimore so it would be McKayla Mortimore.

We had kicked out the name Eleanor because it rhymes with Mortimore. Dh says it Mor'ti'more so it rhymes TWICE even.

September 20th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I like both but I think Kayla Mortimore flows better than McKayla Mortimore to me. I think it's something with 2 many M.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; September 20th, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
September 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Good point one that I knew but I'll bring it up and make sure Wayne is OK with her name meaning Son of Kayla actually it means "who is like the lord" but I'll point out the literal translation of that particular spelling. Thanks that is why I am posting here!
That's why I pointed it out. Because Michaela means "Who is like the Lord?" since it's the feminine form of Michael. But McKayla isn't really the same name, IMO. And the more I say it, the less I like it. It's got two hard C sounds, so it's mic-KAY-la rather than just mi-KAY-la, and that makes it kind of awkward. And if you don't pronounce both the C and the K, then one of them probably shouldn't be in there.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]

Last edited by SandyBeachSomewhere; September 20th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
September 20th, 2011, 06:35 PM
IMO McKayla/Mikayla/Makayla is a made up name. Michaela is the feminine of Michael.

Seriously maybe I'll spell it correctly on the birth certificate my DH will never know...

Last edited by Happy Song; September 20th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
September 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
our (well, my parents) next door neighbours DD is called Michaela.... I like THAT name and the spelling, but not so much Kayla or McKayla

September 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Of all the names you guys have considered Tessa is by far my favorite! I also love Nora and Autumn.

I don't care for McKayla bc it's fairly trendy and popular right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search