Boy Names... blah

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran
Ok, let me just put it out there - boy names suck!

There are so many lovely, adorable, beautiful names for girls! But boy names? ugh. They are either too common/popular, too weak, or too weird. When I see a name I like, I try to picture my son as a man and think, "does the name still work?" Sometimes it does, then I ask, "Is it on the top 10 names right now?" If no, then I move onto, "Is it too weird or out there?" Then I'm left with nothing.

I think we've narrowed it down to either Jonah or Jack/Jackson. Jack used to be a common name, but not so much any more. It's a little simplistic and plain, but it's also a strong name for a man and my DH has an uncle with the name, so there's a family aspect to it. Jonah is a nice name - not too common and not too weird, but we both still feel it might be a little weak for a man. So, then we thought about Jonas, then thought of the Jonas Brothers and quickly crossed it off the list. His middle name will be James, so I guess he can always just go by J.J. when he gets older. I don't know. *sigh*

There's a couple other names I liked, but DH didn't. Or DH liked a name, but I didn't. We absolutely did not have this problem with girl names, though!!!

Anyway, I guess this is pretty much just a vent post
October 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Lelah's Avatar Regular
I agree. Girls names don't have those same problems. Typical male names like David, George, Michael, and Christopher are becoming less popular. They're being replaced by Aidan, Ethan, and Riley. DH and I jumped on the "cutesy boy name" train and I feel we have to continue this path or Sawyer would look out of place.

Jackson is nice. He can go by Jackson as a kid/teenager, and Jack as an adult.
Landry Paige 12.19.12

RIP Alexis Julia
You are missed
October 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I like Jackson and Jack is definitely a strong nickname. I don't think you can go wrong with that name.
October 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Super Mommy
I really dislike Jackson for no specific reason, but I love Jack. You could also name him John and call him Jack, but.. I'll never understand where that idea came from, lol.

I don't really care for Jack James. Alliteration and only one syllable in both names - it sounds kind of harsh and jerky. So I guess I'd pick Jackson James for you.

Also, I love Jonah. And.. the Jonas brothers are already falling out of popularity I think. They aren't exactly the Rolling Stones, and I don't think they'll be around forever, so that the association will always be there. I don't think our kid's friends will know who the Jonas Brothers are.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
October 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback, ladies!

SandyBeach - I said the same thing about the way that Jack James flows. I also prefer just Jack to Jackson, but it doesn't go with the James part. James is my husband's name and his father's name, so that's why we want that as the middle name. I also agree with you about the Jonas Brothers thing... may take that into consideration. Thankfully, we still have about 7 months to decide
October 9th, 2011, 10:36 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with you. I wanted a girl SO bad. I had 5 names picked out that I absolutely LOVED that SO loved as well. Boy names....... nadda.

Now I found ONE that I like, SO doesn't like it. He found one he likes- and I don't like it. It's so frustrating. I like unique names but not WEIRD names. It's so much easier to find that for a girl. lol!

I love Jack- it's a little too plain for my own use. But it reminds me of Titanic (*swoon*) and I think of popular and successful men when I hear the name.

October 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, boys names were really hard for us to come up with. We still cant come up with a single name we would consider using for a boys first name-until someone posted Truett... that has stuck in my head and my hubby didnt hate it...

I agree that Jack James is a bit harsh and abrupt. Jonah James or Jonas James flow much better.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 10th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Super Mommy
I Love Jonah James! What a manly and unique name! I also like Jonas James, I think that would be a nice alternative....but I prefer Jonah! So nice!
October 12th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Jonah James is a very strong masculine name. Jonas makes me think of oil (heating oil, propane).
October 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
AHHHHHHHHHHH we are the opposite! we cannot agree on a girl name to save our lives. But could picked and name sons for here until eternity.

I love the name James, I think Jackson is way popular but I agree Jack James doesn't go well.

I like Jonah and Jonas too and agree that the connection to the Jonas brothers will fade.
October 13th, 2011, 03:21 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I love Jack/Jackson

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (16) and K (11), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our 1st together in 2015.
October 13th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are opposite, boys names are easy, girls names are hard, because there are too many I like!!

I do like Jack but I think I prefer Jonah James. It flows better and to me its a less common but still normal name

Becca and Chris, proud young parents to
Seth (2005) Caspar (2007) Tobias (2010)

Missing our beautiful angel in heaven *Iris Winter* 17/8/08 - 21/8/08

October 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't like Jackson at all, I hear it EVERYWHERE. It's so common. I like Jack much better, but agree Jack James doesn't flow that great. It sounds to me like you really aren't happy with Jackson, Jack or Jonah. I think I'd start looking at other names, when you find the right one you'll know!

I consider these to be strong boys names -

Easton James
Max, Maxwell, Maxim James
Grant James
Seth James
Graham James
Chase James
Timothy James
Griffin James
Grady James
Ryder James
Jasper James