Girl name question for you all...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2012, 07:08 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I kind of ran this past my PR, but thought I'd be more specific about a name and some questions here from you name experts

Kersten... With the "er" pronounced as in "her" and not as in "ear"

Is it too similar to the UBER popular names of Christina or Crystal or even Krista? Or do you think it's distinct enough to be different?

I'm liking the name, but I hate names that are all so close to popularity. DD has one of those names (Kensley) that's similar to Mackenzie and we're dreading it now because I feel she'll always have to correct things or will answer to Kenzie instead of her real name. Sigh. We don't want to make that mistake again. Don't get me wrong, I love her name and it fits her, but I wish there weren't so many freaking Mackenzie/Kenley/Kinzie/Kinley's running all over the place.

So, is Kersten as close to Christina/Crystal or Krista?

Are any of these names still popular in your area with the younger crowd? or do you think Kersten is relatively "unique" now in the LO age group?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 7th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think your going to run into alot of Kersten's. I consider it a more fresh alternative to Christina/Crystal/Krista/Kristen and would group it more with Keirsten/Keira.
January 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think Christina, Crystal, and Krista are popular at all, so you are fine there. but I would change the spelling to Kirsten.

January 7th, 2012, 10:36 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Well... I have friends who are in the UK and they swear Kirsten should be pronounce Keersten (and that's how I would pronounce it) and since we don't want Keersten pronunciation (close to Kiera and all those names), we want it to be spelt so it's easier to recognize and correctly say, so Kersten it is Plus, we have a "Ke" thing going with our kids...

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh! that makes sense!

January 7th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Reminds me of Kirstie Alley...she always has to say "rhymes with thirsty" because people tend to pronounce it "Keerstie".

Anyway, I like that name! You might get it pronounced "Keersten" or "Kairsten" sometimes.
January 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I don't think that name's too terribly popular, if you like it, I would go for it!
January 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Christina and Crystal really aren't that popular anymore. They were popular about 20 years ago or so, but not now. Neither are in the top 100 most popular names, and Krista isn't even in the top 500.

I understand your concern about Kiera though. That's a pretty popular name... but I don't think it's THAT close to Kersten. I'd say Ker/Kirsten as "KER-sten" and Kiersten as "KEER-sten", and Kristen as "KRIS-ten".

Kirsten is not in the top 500 most popular names, so even though it's similar to Kiera/Kira... I think you're fine.

January 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM
wavrunnr's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I saw Kersten I would pronounce it just as you want it pronounced. I don't think people would confuse it with christine/tina/christa/ etc. It just looks too different from those names.

Mommy to 2 miracle IVF daughters and a miracle baby boy conceived without any medical assistance!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search