Family Fued *ugh!*

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Jenny Lee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's ridiculous. My MIL disliked every name on our list too. And a bunch of people in my family felt that Ryland was too difficult to pronounce. I didn't agree, and I still don't. DH and I decided very early on that we would choose a name that WE both loved, and we would not let other people's opinions bother us once we made a final decision. Your family WILL get used to the name -- which is very lovely, by the way.

July 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
** Mandy **
It is a beautiful name and I can't believe they have that much of a problem with it to say such rude things! So sorry!

July 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
choochoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How unbelievably rude of them. I know it is much easier said than done but try not to let their opinions bother you. She is your baby girl, not theirs. It is an absolutely beautiful name. I love the meaning of Abigail also We are not telling the name we have chosen for our son until he is born for this precise reason.

NAK - If I'm posting, I'm nursing! Please excuse any typos!

July 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry you are going through this. Beautiful name by the way! As far as your family, its not really their choice what this baby is named. It is your child and you can name her whatever you like. I think its pretty childish for someone to say, "oh we'll just call her brat or peanut" Come on, give me a break! I would either just blow it off and chances are that it will pass by the time Abigail is born or if it really bothers you that much, maybe confront these people and let them know exactly how you feel. Let them know that you are naming her Abigail and whether they like it or not, thats her name and thats what she is to be called. I hope things get better!
July 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my gosh! That is horrible that they would rather call her brat then the name you have chosen for her! I think Abigail Grace is gorgeous btw....I would just tell them they don't have an option in a name for her,, she will be called her the name you chose,,, or they won't be calling her anything because they will not be seeing her!

Quote:
How unbelievably rude of them. I know it is much easier said than done but try not to let their opinions bother you. She is your baby girl, not theirs. It is an absolutely beautiful name. I love the meaning of Abigail also We are not telling the name we have chosen for our son until he is born for this precise reason.[/b]
We also have thought about not revealing our next childs name until its born for this reason. A lot of people had too much to say about names we chose.
Brody's name was chosen early on so everyone knew it but the girls name wasn't chosen until a couple days before the u/s and we were going to keep the name a surprise if he was a girl.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i think everyone has said what my advice would be. i just want to say that i love the name you have picked.

July 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
well i cant say i know what your experiencing seeing as i dont have any children yet, but that would really suck!! i'd be really upset, sorry to hear that you have to go threw that *hugs* abigail is a nice name! nms but i wouldnt refuse to call someone abigail when its their name, thats crazy!!
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
MamaBx3
I am SO sorry !!
That is not fair to you at all , it's YOUR baby !! Not theirs !

My grandma gave us a hard time about using Nevaeh . She was like "what ? that's hard to say, that's hard to spell, what can it be shortened to" blah blah blaaaaaaah . I just said "you'll get used to it !" And she did . We call her Vae and Vaeh all the time but she NEVER does !

Just tell her that Abigail is going to be your daughters name , and tough titty for her .

*eta : I personally think it's a gorgeous name ! And a gorgeous combo !!! I love the significance to it !! Be strong !! If you both love it , USE IT !*
July 12th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Bellabee's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with what everyone else said. I just wanted to say that I love the name!
Owen - 3

July 12th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
wow i agree with everyone else. Abigail Grace is a beautiful name anyway.. ughh some people just really irritate me.
July 13th, 2006, 05:57 AM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's terrible of them to act that way! It's such a pretty name you've chosen. And even if they don't like it remember the child will make the name.

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt
July 18th, 2006, 08:43 AM
MamaBx3
Has this been resolved ? What did you decide ??
July 19th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Regular
Good for you for sticking to your guns! My DH is adamant that he doesn't want to discuss our choices with anyone else - i'm really enjoying thinking about names and when my mum asked me recently if we'd had any thoughts i rattled off a few ideas and she was quick to say she didn't like any of them! Then I got "how about....." and several suggestions from her, which i didn't like. So i'm taking DH's line now and keeping my cards close to my chest.........
July 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww I love the sound of Abigail Grace. She sounds so pretty and sweet!
I am also having problems with my family and the names I pick. My mom said if I named my son Gavin she would call him Gavy Gay. I am tired of all the negative comments I get from family when I tell them some of the names we like. It is a downer because sometimes it feels like an attack on the baby itself since that is apart of the baby.

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013
July 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
First of all I absolutely love the name Abigail Grace. Especially since it has special meaning to you. Second take it from someone who made the mistake of not using my first choice of name because people didn't like it. She's your little girl name her what you want they'll get used to it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search