Unmatched names

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2005, 10:10 AM
mamaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know a couple who named their kids in a similar flavor - aka sisters Brooke and Paige - but their third kid was totally unmatched (a girl - Wynter).

Do you think that's tough on a kid? To have your siblings with same-flavor names, and yours is totally different or unique? (Or the other way around - two kids with unique names, and the third is an old standard)
April 13th, 2005, 10:46 AM
tattooedmommyof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tattooedmommyof2 Send a message via Yahoo to tattooedmommyof2
I don't think that it has to really match. We are thinking about naming our girl Cristalena (Crista-Lena) Bri and our 8 month olds name is Brooklynne Payge. And its funny that their 2 daughters names are Brooke & Paige, bc My name is Brooke and my daughters name is Payge. Sorry I had to add that.

---Brooke

My first goal.
April 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that will effect the other children at all

April 13th, 2005, 12:22 PM
My own thought is that it might be harder on boys than girls.

For some reason people seem to have no problem with creative license on girls names. But if you're a guy, and your brothers are Mike and Peter and you're called Blade or something, I would think it would be hard.
April 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally posted by mamaB@Apr 13 2005, 03:22 PM
My own thought is that it might be harder on boys than girls.

For some reason people seem to have no problem with creative license on girls names. But if you're a guy, and your brothers are Mike and Peter and you're called Blade or something, I would think it would be hard.*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

You made me laugh with this one Too true.

April 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM
maymay
Siblings names don't have to match!! But the first and middle name should flow. I have a friend with a girl and a boy: Megan and Blair. Those are matchy and it's so fine.
April 17th, 2005, 01:38 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
MATCHING NAMES ARE BAD!

never name your children with the same letter starting. One of My sisters is Debbie and I am Deanna and My father had to take to calling us One Two and Three. And the same with my husband his name is Curtis (Curt) and His brother Is Christopher (Chris) and they are alway being called the wrong name.

Just my opinion
April 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Oh - when I said "match" I did not mean in a literal sense, like Denny and Denise, or Cara and Carl.

I mean in the flavor, or thematic sense: Elizabeth and James, Quinn and Riley, Makenna and Spencer.

Names that are thematically compatible - old classics, top 10 populars, androgenous etc. - not matchy in the sing-song or alliterative sense.

So, the first example - the girls Brooke, Paige and Wynter - I thought the first two girls had simple, modern, clean names, while their baby sister had kind of a bohemian, funky off-the-beaten-track name that didn't "match" the other two.

Deanna - I completely agree with your thought - "matching" in the literal sense, Nicole and Nicholas, Dina and Debra, etc. causes alot of confusion!
April 18th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by akafrogs@Apr 17 2005, 04:38 PM
MATCHING NAMES ARE BAD!

never name your children with the same letter starting.* One of My sisters is Debbie and I am Deanna and My father had to take to calling us One Two and Three.* And the same with my husband his name is Curtis (Curt) and His brother Is Christopher (Chris) and they are alway being called the wrong name.

Just my opinion*
[/quote]

Too funny! We are April, Carolyn and Christa and my Mom would call April: Christa or Carolyn: April so I really don't think it mattered. Our next child if it is a boy will have an E name just like Elle. I really don't think it is that big of a deal

April 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Swamp Lizard's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Swamp Lizard
I have never even thought of trying to match the kids names. I just name then what I feel is right for each child.
As for the same letter deal, None of my kids have names super close together, and I still call them the wrong name. I even call them by the cats names sometimes!!! lolol
April 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Swamp Lizard@Apr 18 2005, 09:27 AM
As for the same letter deal, None of my kids have names super close together, and I still call them the wrong name. I even call them by the cats names sometimes!!! lolol
[/quote]

OMG Me too LOL! I will call the dog Elle or call Elle: Angel LOL

April 20th, 2005, 01:06 AM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
My mom had four girls and we all got called whatever name came to her at the time, and sometimes she would go through them all before she got the right one. I am the youngest so it got to where when she called mine or one of my sisters names after they had moved out I would still respond. I even got called my neices names a few times. Now my MIL and DH sometimes call me my SIL name. The only exception would be when my DH uses one of his nicknames for me.

Christina

PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

April 21st, 2005, 06:25 AM
Well I know I'm going to match up my kids names as best I can. Though I know it probably won't make a difference, as in my family I got called by siblings names as often as I got called my own

But my challenge is that since I've decided to do the match thing, its going to be hard to find similar themed names since my gal's name is unconventional. Sigh. Shoulda named her Sara. That goes with everything! IMO
April 25th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Brooke, Paige and Wynter don't sound too off to me- not like
George and Wynter would!

Makes me wonder if I should make sure my names match... hmmmm?

April 28th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I thought Brooke, Paige and Wynter went togethter too!!

I don't think my girls' names match but they're just right somehow...
<div align="center"> </div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a></div>

<div align="center"></a>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"></div>
April 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Amandalulu's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I fall into the catergory of two "match" and the third is funky.

My dd is Madison and my ds is Dawson, both end in "son" which makes them similar.

When we chose dd's name, is was considered only a male name not unisex like it is now and no one had it, now 8 yrs later there are all kinds of Madison's.

When we chose the name Dawson (originally for dd is she turned out to be a ds) Dawson's creek wasn't out yet. 3 yrs later when we had ds, Dawson was quite popular but we used it anyway.

For baby #3 we have Xander picked out. It doesn't sound like theirs, doesn't have the "son" on the end but has meaning to us. Both dd and ds like it, dh couldn't settle on any but this one and I like it.

No one has even mentioned it not flowing and I never thought of it either.

Amanda

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search