Nicknames as given names....

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been noticing a lot of names lately that are absolutely adorable on children, but that I don't think would age well. Names like Cayleigh, Tally, Cooper, etc. I just can't really picture these names on grown adults. Personally, I think that nicknames are great. You can give your child a full "adult" sounding name, and give them a cute nickname that they can use when they are younger, so that they can still have a full name that looks good on a resume (there have been studies done that show that people with sophisticated looking names on job applications tend to fair better than those with juvenille sounding names) I think some people, when they are naming their children, don't take into consideration the fact that that child will one day grow up and want to be taken seriously. I was just interested on hearing everyones thoughts on the subject...
July 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The thing that you have to keep in mind is, while you are used to adults having names that sound more "mature", when these kids are adults, they will all have the same kind of names, kwim? So while they might not fit in with the adult names now, when they are adults, it will be perfectly normal. For example, when I was little, Jennifer was a little girl name, now there are lots of adults with that name, so its not really a big deal.

July 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The thing that you have to keep in mind is, while you are used to adults having names that sound more "mature", when these kids are adults, they will all have the same kind of names, kwim? So while they might not fit in with the adult names now, when they are adults, it will be perfectly normal. For example, when I was little, Jennifer was a little girl name, now there are lots of adults with that name, so its not really a big deal.[/b]
I'm not really talking about just using the names that are old fashioned. There are some great names out there that are creative and not old fashioned that also sound very sophisticated and adult, names like Samantha (with the nn Sam) Natalia (nn Tally) Victoria (nn Tori) etc...
July 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I understand that, but what im saying is there will be so many Coopers and Lolas by the time these kids get to be adults, that it will sound totally normal, and not "trendy" or like nn. And names go in cycles btw, Carter and Lincoln were popular boys names in the early 1900's. Now they are getting popular again. Its nearly impossible to say what a name is going to sound like in 20-30 yrs.

July 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The thing that you have to keep in mind is, while you are used to adults having names that sound more "mature", when these kids are adults, they will all have the same kind of names, kwim? So while they might not fit in with the adult names now, when they are adults, it will be perfectly normal. For example, when I was little, Jennifer was a little girl name, now there are lots of adults with that name, so its not really a big deal.[/b]

That what I was thinking too,, like by the time these kids are older, those names are going to be so common that they aren't going to be thought of as childish names,, they are becoming the new adult names,,,, if that makes sense.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
MamaBx3
Quote:

Quote:
I understand that, but what im saying is there will be so many Coopers and Lolas by the time these kids get to be adults, that it will sound totally normal, and not "trendy" or like nn. And names go in cycles btw, Carter and Lincoln were popular boys names in the early 1900's. Now they are getting popular again. Its nearly impossible to say what a name is going to sound like in 20-30 yrs.[/b]
ITA 100%
July 13th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to clarify, because it seems I am being misunderstood-I'm not talking about trendy names like Madison, and Jaden, etc. While they might not be my cup of tea, I agree they will age with the child and no one will think twice. I'm referring to nicknames. Like Charlie, instead of Charles. Katie, instead of Katherine, etc. I just don't see the point of naming a child a name like this when you can just use a nickname and have a full name as the given name that they can use for practical purposes when they get older.
July 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Quote:
I just wanted to clarify, because it seems I am being misunderstood-I'm not talking about trendy names like Madison, and Jaden, etc. While they might not be my cup of tea, I agree they will age with the child and no one will think twice. I'm referring to nicknames. Like Charlie, instead of Charles. Katie, instead of Katherine, etc. I just don't see the point of naming a child a name like this when you can just use a nickname and have a full name as the given name that they can use for practical purposes when they get older.[/b]
Ohh! Gotcha I also think you should use the full name. That way the child has options.

July 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
LaceyJMC's Avatar Veteran
I agree that it is nice for a child to have a more professional full name to fall back on. I love the names Max, Libby, Cate, Mia, Ben, etc but if I use any of them it will be as a nickname for Maxwell, Elizabeth, Catherine, Amelia, or Bennett. I like giving a child options. A lifetime is a long time to live with a name you do not like. Nicknames are for fun and full names allow the child to be professional.
-expecting miracle #3!!!
July 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
i agree, i want to have a nikolas or a zackary possibly and i might call them nik but he also has the option to go my nikolas
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 14th, 2006, 08:18 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just wanted to clarify, because it seems I am being misunderstood-I'm not talking about trendy names like Madison, and Jaden, etc. While they might not be my cup of tea, I agree they will age with the child and no one will think twice. I'm referring to nicknames. Like Charlie, instead of Charles. Katie, instead of Katherine, etc. I just don't see the point of naming a child a name like this when you can just use a nickname and have a full name as the given name that they can use for practical purposes when they get older.[/b]
Oh ok,, gotcha now,, it didn't sound like thats what you meant from the original post.
I agree with you on that, some really popular ones I have seen lately are Tori, Kate and Ally on their own. I think they should have a full name as well.
I am not really into names that people can short form, I like my child being called by his full name and I try my best to look at other names that are the same.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 15th, 2006, 12:46 AM
m.and.a
I don't know. I've always like Jimmy as a given name. I even knew a man named "Jimmy" who was in his 50's, he didn't seem to mind.
July 15th, 2006, 07:00 AM
momoftwincesses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I also think you should use the full name. That way the child has options. [/b]
I agree. I don't like NN's as given names.
[/b]

, gives the child an option to grow up. I know a nikki that by the time she was 19, insisted everyone call her Nicole. It helps the child as well.
July 15th, 2006, 08:12 AM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I agree that a child should be given a full name at birth. I still go by my NN Becki, but on my resume and other things I use Rebecca, even though they mostly always ask what I prefer.
July 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
MamaBx3
Thanks for clarifying !!

I also think you should use the full name .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search