How do you and SO/DH agree on names??

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Heather1628's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Heather1628 Send a message via Yahoo to Heather1628
SO and I have been talking future baby names. How do you do it when your SO/DH doesnt like anything you like and all his are OLD Plain Jane names?
April 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
We don't. And we have 4 weeks max to get a name.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM
wavrunnr's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we keep throwing out ideas until both of us come upon a name we can agree on....or until DH decides to stop fighting my ideas

Mommy to 2 miracle IVF daughters and a miracle baby boy conceived without any medical assistance!!!!
April 13th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I throw out my many ideas, he throws out his few ideas and mostly we meet in the middle with a family names and a combo of what both he and I like. Actually we have our list well-agreed on
April 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
^ ditto!

It's frustrating because I spend lots of time on baby name sites and in books looking for names I love. Then I share my list with him ad he goes, "eh". Arghhh!!
Finally I made him sit down and look through a baby names app. He made it to the letter D before finally saying "this is a lot of work"!! I said "yep!". He finally saw how much time and energy I put into making my lists and now he gives them more consideration!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
April 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
He would go through the book, but that's it. He just throws out names that comes to his head (thus, it means they are fairly popular, because men have no idea about finding names with meaning that aren't already everywhere ) and I submit him a hugmongous list with names, meaning, origin and all ... and 30 seconds later, he scratches 99.9% off "just because"

I told him I spent HOURS... HOURS, probably equal to days or weeks of simply searching names and he spends, what, 30 min.? Yeah... whatever. He's quit looking, I think, and I've looked at every name imaginable, so we're at a standstill. But, he knows my searches aren't done lightly, and hopefully, that will stick in his head when we have to put a name "in stone".

So...

The thread on the fastest rising names that was posted a bit ago woke him up because 2 names were on it that are VERY close to our DD's name, and I think he realized he knows NOTHING about popularity or such of names and that's one of my big sticklers. Maybe he'll just agree to one of the 4 names on my list when she's born. Cuz, right now, we don't have anything together.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM
The other day SO and I were talking and he said if and when we have kids and if it's a little girl he wants to name her Sarah. I told him flat out NO! It's to plain Jane for me and I don't like it. My dd told me well mom you do all the work so you should just name the baby. I love how her mind thinks maybe she can rub it off on SO hehe
April 14th, 2012, 10:34 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ahhhh, we have a horrible time agreeing on names. I put in tons on time and he basically shoots down everything I throw out. I just keep throwing them out until we hit on something he says "Ehhhh, I like that." and then it goes on the list. Many times until the birth, I will try in vein to sway him into liking names I love but which he has previously shot down. I am usually unsuccessful in this. Usually, we eventually find something we both like a lot.
Life would be so nice if he'd just love what I love.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 15th, 2012, 07:17 PM
SO and I were in the truck last night and he goes how about Hayleigh. I said yea I like Hayleigh It was so cute how he just spring it on me.
April 16th, 2012, 09:11 AM
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I really wanted to name her Catherine and my Husband wanted to name her Kate. So we "kinda" met in the middle and named her Caitlin.
April 17th, 2012, 09:44 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it's a battle.

April 18th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Names that I like and DH doesn't I just let them go. Those very few names that I **love** and he doesn't like I keep bringing up over the years and working on him until he sits on it long enough to get over whatever immediate assumption he originally had. It's worked for two names so far

April 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so lucky that DH and I have very similar taste in names so we agree on most. There have been some that i've liked and he hasn't.. He's not as into really unique names but its never been difficult for us to agree on one thankfully!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search