Greek Names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my hubby and I were discussing some of our more "out there" names and the idea of using Greek names, even from folklore, came up. We decided that we really like "Ares" (air-eez) for a boy and "Karis" (care-iss) meaning 'grace/charm' for a girl. I think I'd actually want to use the girl name (except that I really don't like the nn "Carrie" at all!), but I'd worry about the boy getting picked on or just plain hating his name. Then again, you could bet he wouldn't meet too many kids with the same name. hehe We also like Phynix quite a bit (likely for a boy), which isn't necessarily Greek, but goes along with a folklore type name.

WDYT?

April 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Aillidh's Avatar Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I like them both individually but I think they have somewhat of a similar sound to them. I like Karis slightly better because I think it might age well.
TTC Our #1 Red Sox|Bruins|Celtics|Patriots Fan
April 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I think Kariss would age the best too. I really have this strange attachment to Ares though, I just don't think it'd work as well. People would be like "uhh, WHAT'S your name??"

April 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran
WOW I really like the name Kariss. I would steal it but I think it sounds too close to Chris which we have in our extended family.
April 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know a 30something lady names Karis, and I taught a little girl in school with that name as well. I don't know that anyone ever shortened either of their names of Karrie... it's definitely a name that ages well.

April 24th, 2012, 05:44 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
A friend in my PR just had a baby girl and named her Kerris I don't think it's "out there" at all, it's really pretty!
I'm not a fan of Ares, but I don't think it's too strange either

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
April 24th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Mommy in our PR who just had a Kerris was the first I've ever heard of the name but I really love it. I think it's unique and very pretty.

April 26th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Glad you all like Kariss. I never knew there were so many people out there with that name, but I really love it. DH seems to like it too.

May 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Kariss too! You mentioning Ares for a boy is so funny to me, because Mars is on my short list! I'm glad to see I'm not totally alone!
Allie_SMg likes this.
May 4th, 2012, 11:15 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Karis. Nothing says that anyone has to shorten her name. My son's name is Greyson, and a few people have tried to shorten it to Grey, but I have corrected them and said "NO, his name is Greyson". I don't like nicknames, generally, so that annoys me.
Allie_SMg likes this.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
May 5th, 2012, 03:11 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love both Kariss and Ares!! Especially Ares
Allie_SMg likes this.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

May 5th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I love Karis as well, is it pronounced the same way as Carys? I have heard of Carys before but prefer a different spelling
May 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM
It's pronounced like the word "care" and than "iss". and I'm glad someone else likes Ares!

May 8th, 2012, 10:09 PM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I love Ares! But I would try to find an alternative phonetic spelling.
May 9th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love both names and I don't think Ares is too out there, in fact I think it sounds more like a normal name than a lot of the names people use So many "new" names out there.
kemper2.0 likes this.

May 10th, 2012, 01:59 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex&angels View Post
I love both names and I don't think Ares is too out there, in fact I think it sounds more like a normal name than a lot of the names people use So many "new" names out there.
Agree COMPLETELY!!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

May 10th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Yay! I don't feel so bad about seriously considering Ares then. Awesome. and what other phonetic spellings would you suggest?

May 13th, 2012, 09:58 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE Ares. To me it's not too "out there" at all. People name their kids the dumbest and weirdest things nowadays.. IMO. I wouldn't be worried about your kid hating it either.. At first he might not like it because it's different. But i think once he learns about the greek gods.. And that he was the god of war. He will probably find it very cool. And awesome that most likely he won't ever meet anyone else with his name.

edited* by the way I would suggest NOT doing a more "phonetic" spelling. Ares is the way it's traditionally spelled. Spelling it like Aries.. And everyone will think he is named after the zodiac. But that's just my opinion.

Oh and by the way. I am having my first boy in October... And he will be named Ares Paul. So you can tell I really do love this name. Glad to find someone else considering it

Last edited by AltMommy; May 13th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
May 13th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks Leanna! I'm so glad there's someone else who likes it. We're seriously considering Ares and we think the meaning is pretty cool too. I prefer the original spelling too but I'm open to options. I would love Ares or Kieran (meaning "little dark one") to be in our first son's name. I really want our first daughter to be named Karis as well. I love Greek names.

May 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Veteran
Hi!

I've married into a very Greek family. So I'm limited (not sure that is the right word!) by only Greek names. My husband and I made a deal that we could 'break' the naming tradition of naming after his mother/father BUT we would still choose a Greek name.

I LOVE the name Ares. It's on my shortlist if we have a boy, however our last name starts with 'A' and is kind of a mouthful so I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. I do worry about being picked on if we end up staying in the U.S. but in Greece no one would bat an eye. ..that said, I don't think Ares is that far out there.

Karis is also very pretty! In my experience if the parents stick with the full name, not a nickname (ie: Carrie) people around are likely to follow.

Last edited by helona; May 28th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search