Article about Nevaeh

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2006, 08:32 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
If It's a Boy, Will It Be Lleh?

Chances are you don't have any friends named Nevaeh. Chances are today's toddlers will.

In 1999, there were only eight newborn American girls named Nevaeh. Last year, it was the 70th-most-popular name for baby girls, ahead of Sara, Vanessa and Amanda.

The spectacular rise of Nevaeh (commonly pronounced nah-VAY-uh) has little precedent, name experts say. They watched it break into the top 1,000 of girls' names in 2001 at No. 266, the third-highest debut ever. Four years later it cracked the top 100 with 4,457 newborn Nevaehs, having made the fastest climb among all names in more than a century, the entire period for which the Social Security Administration has such records.

Nevaeh is not in the Bible or any religious text. It is not from a foreign language. It is not the name of a celebrity, real or fictional.

Nevaeh is Heaven spelled backward.

The name has hit a cultural nerve with its religious overtones, creative twist and fashionable final "ah" sound. It has risen most quickly among blacks but is also popular with evangelical Christians, who have helped propel other religious names like Grace (ranked 14th) up the charts, experts say. By contrast, the name Heaven is ranked 245th.

"Of the last couple of generations, Nevaeh is certainly the most remarkable phenomenon in baby names," said Cleveland Kent Evans, president of the American Name Society and a professor of psychology at Bellevue University in Nebraska.

The surge of Nevaeh can be traced to a single event: the appearance of a Christian rock star, Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D., on MTV in 2000 with his baby daughter, Nevaeh. "Heaven spelled backwards," he said.

Among the many inspired by Mr. Sandoval's appearance was Jade San Luis, who named his first daughter Nevaeh two years later. "It felt original," said Mr. San Luis, 26, of Cerritos, Calif. "Now, not anymore."

Today Mr. Sandoval is introduced to and photographed with baby Nevaehs all the time. His own Nevaeh, now 6, skateboards and, when introduced, pipes up that her name is Heaven spelled backward. Does she understand the meaning of heaven? Mr. Sandoval replied, "She knows that is where her grandmother is."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/us/18hea...rssnyt&emc=rss#

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 16th, 2006, 08:39 PM
MamaBx3
Haha I just read that !!

I think it's so cool that it's the fastest climbing name !
July 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I thought that was neat too. I wonder if it will keep going to number 1 or when and where it will peak

July 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM
MamaBx3
Hmm .. I wonder the same !!
I don't know of anyone around here with that name .. Apparently its really popular in the US .
(im in canada)

It will be interestting !!
July 16th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
precisely why i don't like it. when i first saw the name i thought "oh, how cute!!" but now i can't stand it b/c i hear it all the time
July 17th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
precisely why i don't like it. when i first saw the name i thought "oh, how cute!!" but now i can't stand it b/c i hear it all the time [/b]
Ditto! At least where I live...every other little girl is being named this!
July 17th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How neat! I don't care how popular it gets, I am still gonna use it.

July 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM
** Mandy **
I have been hearing it quite a bit recently.

July 17th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Azlynn's Avatar Veteran
interesting! I really dislike this name for some reason, but it's kind of nifty how it went from almost non existant to widely popular in just a few short years.
July 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
wow! it is a really cute name. that is crazy that it has comeup so fast.

July 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love it too,,, even though its popular. I don't think its as popular here in Canada though. I think britanies Nevaeh is the only one i have heard!

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 17th, 2006, 09:59 AM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is popular but it's really cute!!

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt
July 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I've heard it plenty online at various baby and mommy sites and forums, but never yet in real life, not where I live in WA or in Vancouver BC where a lot of my family and friends live. But, it is relatively new in poularity and I meet more preschoolers than babies. I'm sure by the time my youngest gets to school we will have met a few.

July 17th, 2006, 07:26 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I've heard it plenty online at various baby and mommy sites and forums, but never yet in real life, not where I live in WA or in Vancouver BC where a lot of my family and friends live. But, it is relatively new in poularity and I meet more preschoolers than babies. I'm sure by the time my youngest gets to school we will have met a few.[/b]

Quote:
That's so weird...I mean besides on the internet I've never met any babies named Nevaeh.[/b]

same!

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search