Help me decide!

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Which name?
Natasha 7 43.75%
Mattea 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aggghhh I am getting so frustrated! I keep thinking I have my baby girl's name chosen, and then I suddenly go back and forth on it. These are my final 2, and the pro's and con's for each name:

Mattea-(Italian, fem. version of Matteo, meaning "Gift from God")-
Pro's:
I love the meaning.
I saw this name the day I found out I was pg, and I said "that's the name", I've been calling her Mattea for a while now.
I like the fact that it is different, uncommon (not even in the SSA top 1000) and it's Italian and will reflect a big part her heritage.
Cons:
When I tell people the name, they usually say "huh?" and ask me to spell it. Then they ask me if it's one of those "new made up names". My style is pretty classic, so that's kind of annoying.
Maria/Mariah is a family name used on the first born grand-daughter in every generation of my faamily. It was my grandmothers middle name, and it is my middle name, and I would like it to be her's. However, I don't like the way Mattea Maria/Mariah sounds. It's too matchy-poo for my tastes. This could obviously be solved by using 2 middle names, but then it won't really be her middle name...that's kind of something I would like to share with my daughter

Natasha- (Russian, pet form of Natalia. Means born on or around Christmas)

Pro's- I just like this name. I always have. I think it's beautiful and elegant.
Like Mattea, this name will honor part of her heritage (in this case mine, being that I am half Russian)
I have a positive association with the name-I have a very dear friend named Natasha, who is quite beatiful and an awesome person.
I think Natasha Mariah flows well
I'm due around Christmas, so the name works perfectly!

Con's
I'm still not sure if I like it as much as Mattea
It's more common than Mattea
It can sound a little pretentious.
I don't like the nickname Tasha

I'm sorry this post was so long, but I'm going crazy here and would really appreciate any input from you ladies!
July 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
MamaBx3
I still prefer Mattea ! I think it is GORGEOUS !!!

I do agree with you about the "matchy-poo"-ness of the names.. haha

But I feel that Natasha Maria/Mariah are matchy-poo , too !!

Are you saying muh-ree-uh for Maria and muh-rye-uh for Mariah ?
July 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like Natasha better with either of the middle names... I think I like it slighlty better than Mattea as well.... but I agree with you about the Tasha,, I am also not a fan of that middle name.
I like Natasha Maria

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

July 17th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Are you saying muh-ree-uh for Maria and muh-rye-uh for Mariah ?[/b]
I'm actually saying Muh-rye-ah for both...Maria is actually pronounced like this in my grandmothers name she just spelled it differently...I think I will be using Mariah b/c I don't want to confuse ppl.

Oh, also wanted to mention if I use Mattea I will probobly have a 2nd mn-probobly Katherine after my mom, so it will be Mattea Katherine Mariah
July 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Are you saying muh-ree-uh for Maria and muh-rye-uh for Mariah ?[/b]
I'm actually saying Muh-rye-ah for both...Maria is actually pronounced like this in my grandmothers name she just spelled it differently...I think I will be using Mariah b/c I don't want to confuse ppl.

Oh, also wanted to mention if I use Mattea I will probobly have a 2nd mn-probobly Katherine after my mom, so it will be Mattea Katherine Mariah
[/b]
oohh now that I know how you were pronouncing Maria,,,, I think its best you spell it Mariah to avoid confusion. I like Mattea Katherine Mariah! Very pretty!

July 17th, 2006, 05:53 PM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
both names are cute, i love the name mariah for a mn. i think i perfer natasha slighly over mattea
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I prefer Natasha over Mattea, but I'm not a fan of Tasha either. They're both beautiful names.
July 17th, 2006, 06:31 PM
mom2LyricStoryLegend's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2LyricStoryLegend
Ever since you first posted about the name Mattea, I really loved it. I think it is beautiful and I really like Mattea Katherine Mariah.
July 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM
That sucks about the nn Tasha,,,,,,, does your friend Natasha get called Tasha at all? Maybe it is possible to avoid this??

July 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
i like natasha over mattea, if you dont like tasha when she's little just say I'd prefer for her to be called Natasha and then when she gets older she can decide whether she wants to use the nn or not.

As a teacher I experience this alot and since it's preschool I ask the parents what they prefer in the beginning of the year. Little kids dont really shorten their friends names (if i introduce a boy as matthew all the kids call him matthew, not matt, and vise versa)

Also, my cousin married a girl named kimberly and she nicely made it clear to us that her name is kimberly and not kim, of couse everyone will accept that unless they are completely brainless!

Plus, if your worried about nn's mattea can be shortened to matt. I think mattea is a pretty name im just shooting out what I've experienced!

hope its somewhat helpful

July 18th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for your input ladies! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with Mattea...Mattea Katherine Mariah Berry, I think it flows pretty well, and I can use "Tea" (tay-ah) as a nn...I don't even know why I keep going back and forth...this naming thing is harder than I thought!
July 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM
your welcome! its a good thing you were counting on us to decide for you,,,,,,, the poll is even 50/50!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search