Giada?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
*CrabLegs*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're considering Giada, which is pronounced JAH-da, we'd call her Gia as a nn. DD is Mattea and I'm thinking these names go pretty well together. My only concern is that it's super Italian sounding. I'm not Italian at all but DH is half. I don't know if that's a big enough deal to make me not use the name.

June 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think if there is enough of a history of his family using Italian sounding names , then go for it.... I would just be careful, everyone is going to have a VERY difficult time saying or spelling her name. I'm still not exactly sure how you pronounce that name even after you wrote it out. How I'm saying it, it does sound very pretty. But as someone who went through school spelling out my name and saying it 6 times before any teacher figured it out on their own, I think you need to consider the long term effects.
June 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
I think if there is enough of a history of his family using Italian sounding names , then go for it.... I would just be careful, everyone is going to have a VERY difficult time saying or spelling her name. I'm still not exactly sure how you pronounce that name even after you wrote it out. How I'm saying it, it does sound very pretty. But as someone who went through school spelling out my name and saying it 6 times before any teacher figured it out on their own, I think you need to consider the long term effects.

If you watch the Food Network at all there's a Giada on there who has a cooking show. DH's family doesn't really use ethnic sounding names, she'd be the only one. I had fallen in love with Gianna but came to realize that it's just way too popular in our area (big turn off for me). I'm not set on Giada yet. We have a difficult to work with last name so it makes name choosing even more of a pain.

June 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like it. I think it goes with your DD's name very well and obviously has the same sound and feel so it will go nicely. The NN Gia is very easy to pronounce and spell so I don't think it'd be a problem. Very nice!

June 14th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran
I LOVE the name. I would use it even if I wasn't Italian.

June 14th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran
I like it!
June 16th, 2012, 12:16 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't see how the pronunciation comes from the spelling. Is the nickname Gia pronounced the way you would think or just JAH?

June 17th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Beautiful name and the NN is perfect. I think that the TV personality has eposed enough eople to it that the pronounciation issue won't be too bad.

June 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to be ignorant. What tv personality?
June 18th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCoconut View Post
I don't see how the pronunciation comes from the spelling. Is the nickname Gia pronounced the way you would think or just JAH?
That's just the correct Italian pronunciation, JAH-da. It seems some people (I'm assuming Americans) say Gee-ah-da but that's not really how it's traditionally pronounced. As far as the nn Gia, I would say it as it's spelled. I do like both pronunciations of the name so I'm not 100% sure which I'd go with, although I tend to lean towards the real Italian pronunciation.

June 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memi View Post
I like it. I think it goes with your DD's name very well and obviously has the same sound and feel so it will go nicely. The NN Gia is very easy to pronounce and spell so I don't think it'd be a problem. Very nice!

June 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM
sunqueen's Avatar Super Mommy
Why not just name her Gia then??

Personally I like the name Giada (pronounced JAH-da and used that way) and in my opinion it's just confusing having her named "JAH-da" and calling her Gia!!

June 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I love Giada!!! There's a precious baby at my work named that, she's adorable!
June 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aillidh View Post
I love Giada!!! There's a precious baby at my work named that, she's adorable!
Do they pronounce it JAH-da or gee-AH-da? I'm thinking about crossing the name off the list the more I think about it just becuase I think anyone without a strong Italian background will say gee-AH-da (which I actually think is nice, just not sure if I can get past the fact that it's not the "right" way to say it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunqueen View Post
Why not just name her Gia then??

Personally I like the name Giada (pronounced JAH-da and used that way) and in my opinion it's just confusing having her named "JAH-da" and calling her Gia!!
Yes, I do agree with this also. I know Gia is a legitimate name but it #1 just has a nickname feel to it for me and #2 I know someone (who I'm not fond of) who just name their DD Gia so I feel like I can't.

I'm slightly debating on intentionally mispronouncing the name and saying gee-AH-da, although I know this isn't how true Italians say it, I have seen this listed as a pronunciation. I also think it's how most Americans would say the name, unless they were constantly corrected, which would be annoying.

July 1st, 2012, 11:12 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I love it! I like unusual names, so for me I wouldn't mind about explaining pronunciation etc. I do think it goes well with Mattea, too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search