need some opinions!

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aillidh
  • 1 Post By colette20

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies,
Just thought I would pop by this board and see what your thoughts are on our name choice. We thought we were set on a name for our little girl (due to arrive within the next week!), but last week we changed our minds..kinda

What do you think of the name Finn for a girl? From everything I have seen it is typically a boy name, but I think it can be a cross over name. I've had suggestions to lengthen it to Finley, and use Finn as a nickname. But our whole thought behind naming is to have a name that CANNOT be shortened.

Thoughts?
July 7th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Nár lagaí Dia do lámh!
I think Finn is all-boy myself but I don't hate it on a girl.

What about Fae?
Casey_ likes this.
July 7th, 2012, 12:53 PM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I don't like it because people will also see her on attendance rosters and other things and think she is male. She'll get weird looks her whole life.
July 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually know a Finn that is a girl, she pulls it off nicely. (she's 25) Her Grandmother's maiden name was Finnegan, and they named her Finn for that reason, but she likes it, she loves the fact that no one else has her names.

If Jessica Simpson can name her kid Maxwell, Finn is more that fine imho, lol.
fairymommy likes this.

July 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
I think Finn sounds boyish. I really like Finley though. But totally understand not wanting a name that can be shortened. I prefer names with no nicknames too!

Sent using Forum Runner

July 7th, 2012, 05:14 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
We named our daughter Finley (I didn't know it was traditionally a boy's name) and I often refer to her as Fin. I love girls names with a little spunk to them, so IMO Fin is a perfect name for a little girl!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM
CrunchyChristian
I love it for a girl! I think now a days a lot of traditionaly boy names are being used for girl names as well, so I don't think it would be an issue (think Charlie!). I think you should use it. We were going to use Quinn at one point with a girl and that's more of a "boy" name.
July 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ITA with the PP poster. A lot of people use boy names or surnames for little girls now. I think it's fine, but I do prefer when such names are paired with a super feminine middle name to make it a bit more "girly". I don't care for it when a traditional boy name or surname is used for a girl and then paired with a unisex MN or another masculine MN to be used for a girl (For example using Finn Taylor or Finn Riley as compared to Finn Josephine or Finn Eloise, etc.) Leave a little frill

Last edited by Memi; July 8th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
July 9th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I don't care for it on a girl personally but if you love itgo for it!

July 13th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hmm. I don't dislike it. Would suit a sporty/streetwise type. It's the kind of name that she'll have to respond to a "double take" every time she meets someone new.
July 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
MadMay's Avatar Super Mommy
I think even though Finn is traditionally a boys name it has a feminine sound to it like Lynn so for that reason I think it is very cute for a little girl and Finley as well I really like that name

July 14th, 2012, 09:31 PM
christianolivia's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to christianolivia
Sounds cute to me.

July 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I think she could pull it off if you pair it with a really feminine middle name.

Finn Isabella
Finn Olivia
Finn Ariana

Something like that
July 15th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Maddsmom's Avatar Veteran
I really like it for a girl and I agree with the pps, if your worried its a lil too boyish pair it with a girly middle name and ur good.

My Beautiful Princess Maddilyn is almost 7!!
July 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymommy View Post
Hi ladies,
Just thought I would pop by this board and see what your thoughts are on our name choice. We thought we were set on a name for our little girl (due to arrive within the next week!), but last week we changed our minds..kinda

What do you think of the name Finn for a girl? From everything I have seen it is typically a boy name, but I think it can be a cross over name. I've had suggestions to lengthen it to Finley, and use Finn as a nickname. But our whole thought behind naming is to have a name that CANNOT be shortened.

Thoughts?
So what have you decided? I love the name Finn. I'm not a fan of nicknames, but if the name was Finley I'd call her that and not Finn. I totally agree with pp on pairing it with a feminine mn. Do you have one picked out?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search